Author Topic: Meet your fellow pizzamaking fanatics for dinner in NYC on 1/5/12  (Read 4871 times)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
Re: Meet your fellow pizzamaking fanatics for dinner in NYC on 1/5/12
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »
Eataly would be a great place to go. You can all walk around the gigantic store which has a lot of great stuff inside. Plus RossoPomodoro is in there, out of all the places I thought this was the best.

Keste is a block and a half away from Joe's.  It would be sacrilege for me to be in the area and not stop by for a slice. We don't have to do Joe's as a group, though, as I really can't guarantee that it will be any good. Norma was disappointed when she went, although Conan had a segment on them in October and the pizza looked pretty good.

Johns was pretty good when I went, almost ate an entire pizza myself.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2012, 03:43:39 AM »
5pm at Keste works for me. Any of the other places mentioned would be great.

Larry (and anyone else), if you want to meet someplace before, I can probably do that too. I'm pretty much free all afternoon.

Norma, I'll be there on the subway with you!

CL

Craig,

5pm at Keste's sounds great!  Any of the other places other members mentioned would also be great.  Steve and I will be free most of the day.  If we find time we might go to Best Pizza early.  Glad to hear you will be on the subway with Steve and me.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2012, 03:48:36 AM »
Keste is a block and a half away from Joe's.  It would be sacrilege for me to be in the area and not stop by for a slice. We don't have to do Joe's as a group, though, as I really can't guarantee that it will be any good. Norma was disappointed when she went, although Conan had a segment on them in October and the pizza looked pretty good.

Scott,

I don’t mind stopping at Joe’s.  I said in my one trip to Joe’s that they weren’t really that busy and maybe had an off night.  I know since Joe’s is on your avatar and you have loved Joes’ before, maybe my experience one time wasn’t the best. I know most pizzerias have off days. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
 i see that donetallos is a short cab ride.

Offline scott123

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2012, 06:30:12 PM »
I'm curious, besides John, is anyone else going to have a car?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »
I'm on the subway.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2012, 09:14:08 PM »
Craig, you mentioned Adam as being confirmed.  His first post reads like it's just a maybe, though.  Did he confirm with you privately?

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2012, 09:17:10 PM »
 i chickened out driving to Pittsburgh taking the 11:00 pm mega-bus. positive side will have dinner at il pizzaiolo mt lebenon pa. this joint makes a great pizza margherita as well as a full italian menu.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2012, 09:20:56 PM »
Craig, you mentioned Adam as being confirmed.  His first post reads like it's just a maybe, though.  Did he confirm with you privately?

No, perhaps I read too much into it.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
I'm on the 6:40am Jet Blue IAH - JFK tomorrow.

I'm excited!

Pizza is not bread.

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2012, 09:28:52 PM »
Craig are you staying in the city. I'm at the holiday inn soho.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »
Damn.

I am unable to re-arrange all of my work schedule and will not be able to make it. Thought there was a chance, but to no avail.  :-\

Sounds like a great time. I'd love to meet some of you.....maybe next time.

Have a great time and take lots of pics! --K  :)
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Phar Lap

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 09:46:30 AM »
All,

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it to NYC this week....have a great time and please take some pictures.

Adam 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 01:02:46 PM »
Craig are you staying in the city. I'm at the holiday inn soho.

I'm at the Doubletree on Lex in Midtown.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2012, 06:32:50 PM »
Alright, the hour is quickly approaching, and the numbers seem pretty firm. I know Keste at 5:00 is confirmed and we've thrown around some names for after/before that, but I'd like to toss in my two cents on some other options.

I wasn't going to drive in, but, since there are 8 of us, having 2 cars would give us mobility and flexibility, as we can, rather than taking subways or cabs, all get around as a group. This would give us a comfortable way to spend some time at Keste and then drive out to Brooklyn where we could do Paulie Gees, and then later back into Manhattan for Motorino.  This will put us back in the city with plenty of time for John to get home at a reasonable hour and for Norma and Steve to make their bus.

I know this doesn't incorporate all the names mentioned and, for some, Keste, Motorino and Paulie Gees might be a little repetitive, but I think these are the best of what New York has to offer Neapolitan-wise and enough of us haven't been to these places to make them worthwhile destinations. The fact that Joes is right down the street from Keste and Best Pizza is right around the corner from Paulie Gees covers a wide variety of sub-styles, and, since Joes and Best are both slice places, who ever wants a slice can grab one and we don't have to take the time for a sit down meal.

With this all in mind, here's a rough proposal

4:30 Joes
5:00 Keste
7:00 Best
7:30 Paulie Gees
9:30 Motorino
10:30 John departs and takes whoever might want to leave a bit earlier
11:30-12:00 I leave with whoever wants to leave later

I've arranged it like this in hopes of facilitating somewhat easier parking, as 7ish Motorino (Manhattan) parking could be worse than 9:30 and hopefully 7:30 in Greenpoint shouldn't be too bad.  Now, whether or not Paulie Gees can sit 8 people at 7:30 on a Thu. night (or how long the wait will be) that's a good question. According to their website, they don't do reservations at that hour.  Does anyone here know Paulie well enough to see if he'll bend the rules a bit for us? He was, at one time, a pretty active PM member so I would think we should have some clout. In theory. ;D

The other thing I was considering was that, from videos that I've seen, Keste looks like it might be a bit cramped for a party of 8. Out of Keste, Paulies and Motorino, is any more spacious, and, if so, do we want to schedule our time to spend a bit more time there?

Now, if this schedule is too ambitious or if I'm missing something, please chime in.  I'm just tossing this out as an option to do some more places than Keste. Bear in mind, both Joes and Best will be very quick stops to grab slices and completely optional. I think if this is something everyone is open to, we should think about reservations for P-Gees and Motorino, if possible.  Btw, even though Roberto is meeting us at 5:00, do we have reservations for Keste, and, if not, do we need them?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:38:29 PM by scott123 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2012, 10:30:10 PM »
I am fine with that plan Scott. Larry needs to jump in and confirm he and 2 guests are going. He has the connection at Keste and I assume he has booked us @ 5. I don't know Paulie G but if was was active here and knows our situation, he hopefully would  accommodate us. I have been to Amano many time and am thinking Keste is going to be very close to that? with its Roberto influence? people I have spoken to say that both PG and Montorino are a better option? I was hoping for your guidance on driving Scott picking you up as I don't get in there much especially Brooklyn. Hope all attendees will chime in here and provide some input Looking forward to meeting everyone however it shakes out. 1.5 more days to work it out 
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2012, 10:54:24 PM »
Looks good to me.

I'm free around noon, Norma, Stave, Larry, whoever, if you want to try to get together before.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2012, 10:55:42 PM »
Somebody is checking with Paulie for us, but no promises.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
Roberto is expecting us at 5:00 he can handle 8 people I will have one and the other to meet us at mptorinos

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:45 AM »
Norma and I expect to be in the city around noon. I don't think we have any definite plans til 5, and I, knowing nothing about NY, am pretty much just along for the ride. If anyone has an idea where and what time to meet up earlier in the afternoon, I'm sure Norma and I would be happy to join you.

pizzapan