Author Topic: First Time Dough Issues  (Read 591 times)

Offline carter

First Time Dough Issues
« on: December 26, 2011, 07:58:42 PM »
I am new to making pizzas.  I got a stone a Christmas gift and used the recipe provided for the dough.  Here it is

2 Teaspoons Dry yeast, rapid-rise or bread machine type
1 Cups Warm water
4 Cups all-purpose flour
2 Teaspoons Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
Dissolve the yeast in the water, about 8 10 minutes. Combine flour, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour and
slowly work half of the yeast/water mixture in with your fingers. Add the olive oil and work in remaining yeast/water mixture. Add a little water if
the dough is too sticky to make the dough soft and smooth. Place dough onto a flat surface and knead vigorously for about 10 minutes use a little
flour if it sticks. (First, push the dough away from you, then fold it back towards you, and repeat) Knead until the dough is smooth, elastic and has a
dull sheen. Alternatively, you can use the dough hook on your electric stand mixer for 7 8 minutes. Shape dough into a ball, and place it in a large,
clean bowl greased with olive oil. Turn dough to coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth; let the dough rise in a warm place until
doubled in size, about 1 hour.  

The dough was ok but it was not airy at all.  Can someone throw me a few hints or point me in the right direction?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: First Time Dough Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 08:57:09 PM »
Kill the oil, drop the sugar to 1 tsp in the warm water, cut the salt and yeast in half, add an other 1/2 cup water.  Do as it says (but don't knead for so long), but after it rises for an hour, cut it into 1/2s or 1/3s, then ball and let rise for at least another hour on the counter or for 18-36 hours in the fridge.