Author Topic: Kitchenaid mixer  (Read 2340 times)

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
Kitchenaid mixer
« on: August 05, 2005, 02:08:22 PM »
I'm considering buying a Kitchenaid mixer.  I can't decide whether to buy the 5 quart or the 6 quart............I would like the 6 quart, and could get it for about $60 more, but I usually only make a 3-cup dough ball (test pizza) and concerned that the 6 quart may be too big??? any thoughts???

Tony

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Kitchenaid mixer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 03:22:24 PM »
Tony,

Like you, I don't make large amounts of dough at one time, so my simple KitchenAid mixer meets my needs. However, if I were considering a new KitchenAid, I would seriously look at one of the Professional 600 series models--like the one Pftaylor has with the new dough hook that seems to be much better than the old-style hook. Also, you never know when your needs might change in which case I would rather have a higher powered unit that can better handle larger amounts of pizza dough and be less likely to break down or result in stripped gears (which apparently is quite common). From what I can tell from member feedback, it looks like the new dough hook may work with small amounts of dough because of the large number of contact points of the new dough hook. However, I would want confirmation on that point before going out and spending more money for the bigger and better unit. In the long run, the difference in price will be insignificant, but it is nonetheless still important not to have a unit that doesn't meet your requirements.

BTW, I have seen several of the 600 Series KitchenAids on eBay at prices that seem quite reasonable compared with many other sources I checked. Some of the machines are refurbished but many are new.

Peter

Offline stonepie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 08:24:10 AM »

Tony, when it comes to pizza dough or any kind of bread, I'd go for the most powerful machine regardless of capacity.  (Check wattage.)  Dough is hard on mixers.  I make about 90% of my bread/pizza dough by hand - no mixer.  It's great exercise but I secretly yearn for la macchina!

Stonepie

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 09:36:48 AM »
I have the 5 quart mixer and purchased it many years ago...it is a 325 watt kitchenaid where the bowl raises and lowers under the mixer arm. I purchased the spiral hook separately and use it with excellent results-- the dough is amazing and smooth when done. I only make two pie doughs at a time which is plenty for my needs. The motor does'nt strain any more or less than when mixing cookie dough in the machine. This was a risk I was willing to take because my machine was out of warranty anyway, so if you are a person who maybe has a history of breaking things ....(my wife for instance)...then I would'nt buy the less powerful model...but it the spiral attachment works fine with the smaller unit..good luck!  I made french bread dough with the spiral hook last night and made two fantastic loaves...best I ever made.

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
I've got the Kitchenaid classic.  It's seen weekly use for the past 25 years or so.  It still runs just as strong as ever.  It has no problem mixing up 1 kg of flour for a pizza party.

pizzapan