Author Topic: Basic Equipment for Beginner in Japan  (Read 621 times)

Offline mgb1972

Basic Equipment for Beginner in Japan
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:46:01 AM »
Hi all, there are many topics on equipment and so many opinions I don't know where to begin.  I live in Japan and am new to the homemade pizza game and I have a REAL oven to bake them.  Not much equipment available to the comsumer like back in the States.  What I would like is a good no frills pizza pan or two.  The main type of pizza I will be making is thin and crispy (Pizza Inn/Shakey's style).  May stray off to the more standard style crust as well, but no deep dish at this time.  I was hoping for just a basic aluminum dish or the like.  I am also open to suggestions as to what else I may need.  Fortunately, I can order from Amazon here, but on the flip side I am limited to only what they offer.  The reason I use Amazon is it is totally hassle free with regards to customs and paperwork.

Thank you!

Tommy

buceriasdon

Re: Basic Equipment for Beginner in Japan
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »
Tommy, Yes a pan is a fine start for a thin and crispy, if you go with a screen or a pan with holes you will need to roll out the skin first, or hand stretch, then place it on the pan/screen. The other style is called a cutter pan where you place the rolled skin on the pan and roll the edge to trim it. A kitchen digital scale you will find to be very handy over using volume measurements for repeatability in your dough. You will need to dock the thin skin so purchase a docker, or use a fork to dock the skin. Later I recommend a good quailty pizza stone, not thin but thick, and a wood pizza peel that is tapered. Most folks load with wood and retrieve the pizza with an aluminum peel. A pizza cutter is nice but a chef's knife will work also.
Don
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 12:56:04 PM by buceriasdon »