Author Topic: Lucci in Santa Fe, NM - Authentic NY pizza in NM?  (Read 9220 times)

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Lucci in Santa Fe, NM - Authentic NY pizza in NM?
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2012, 11:38:08 AM »
My home oven is still out of commission, so I baked these in the LBE.  Made a couple of Slice pies that were good.  These had 3% shortening instead of 4% which I think I did like better.  It gave the crust a bit more chew, but also allowed the bottom to stiffen up a bit more as well.  Both bake for around 5min, but the 2nd one with just a bit more heat and ended up with a crunchier bottom which I love.  It's amazing how much difference you can see with just a bit more heat applied to the same dough.  

I also made a video of the 2nd pie.  The 2 cheeses I am using on these pies are a bit new to me and the stretch is also very different.  I do like the way cheese stretches like that but it does look a bit sloppy and unweldy in the video.  I also ate the pizza super hot so it was a bit messy but delicious. Scott this is the best bottom crust I have made for this style.  I have seen others do it but I haven't been able to achieve it before.   When the pie or sliced is picked up and fold, the bottom CRACKS and is crusty.  I love that.

1st and 2nd pics - cheese pie topped Totonno's style.  I love the way cheese pizza taste when it's topped this way.  It IS different from sauce first then cheese.  You get some bites that are more sauce than others and it's really fabulous.

3rd and 4th - just showing the thickness/thinness factor of this style which is key.  

last pic - bottom crust of 2nd pie.  Perfect bottom crust texture and char.  Look at the way it cracks next to my finger!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:45:18 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »
 coming in to this tread late looks looks i have some reading to do. the pies look unbelievable.  just what i need another reason to fire up the oven. Chau,did you cover you sauce in the above pages? is that Sicilian oregano on top?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2012, 02:02:34 PM »
Thanks Larry.  Yes that is Sicillian oregano, sprinkle on after the bake.  Good stuff...

What did you mean if I covered my sauce? ???

If you are referring to the cheese pie with the Sicillian oregano, it was topped Totonno's style.  Fresh cheese (and grated block) first, then toss sauce on sporadically, big dose of grated parmigiano or romano, then swirl of evoo. 

These were done in the LBE, but I have also done some in the wfo.

scott123

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »
Chau, you went with a Totonno's style topping and 'loved' it?  Could you twist the knife in my back any further?  ;D

Seriously, though, you are a such a badass. I really hope, at some point, you can make the trip up to NY and compare what you're doing with the real thing (and see how superior yours is).

I'm happy that you're happy with the extra crunchy crust, but I have to admit, within my parameters, I think it might a bit too rigid.  The pizza in the first video haunts my dreams- this one is beautiful, but, for me, personally, it doesn't have quite as much impact.  Doesn't the additional crunchiness give you a slight loss in interior moisture?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:54:16 AM by scott123 »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2012, 11:16:12 PM »
Chau, you went with a Totonno's style topping and 'loved' it?  Could you twist the knife in my back any further?  ;D

Scott, you need to make a trip down here so I can make pizza for you.  I'll be sure to top a few NY slice style crusts with Totonno's AND DiFara's style toppings and you will love it!  :-D

Seriously, that is the fun of making pizza at home.  You can do whatever you want right?   I have been doing the Totonno's style cheese pizza here and there ever since member Pizzablogger introduced me to it via Youtube and I must say it has a significantly different taste, texture, and experience compared to a pie that is topped with the same sauce and cheeses.  It's just a really nice change up once in a while.  You can understand that I'm not so faithful to one style or standard.  Even though I said a Totonno's style pie, the only similarity is the way it is cheesed and then sauced.  What makes my pizza different from Totonno's is the crust is completely different from theirs and my sauce is spiced as opposed to just tomatoes, although I do sometimes use a NP sauce for NY pizza.   I also use a mixture of fresh and block cheeses whereas they use just fresh mozz.  So similar but not the same.

Seriously, though, you are a such a badass. I really hope, at some point, you can make the trip up to NY and compare what you're doing with the real thing (and see how superior yours is).

Thanks Scott - I appreciate it.  I'll always remember that it wasn't long ago that I was starting out and needed a lot of help and how you always took the time to explain things to me.  I always felt free to ask you questions and I always felt that you gave me your honest opinions.  It was very encouraging and motivating to me to keep pushing the limits because at that time I did reach out to a number of people via PM for help and got very few responses.  Either because they didn't know or didn't want to help a new guy.  No promises, but I might be able to be up there for a few days the first week of March.  I'll know more soon, but if I can go, hopefully I can get a few members to meet up for pizza. ;)  We can even make dough if you want and if time permits.

I'm happy that you're happy with the extra crunchy crust, but I have to admit, within my parameters, I think it might a bit too rigid.  The pizza in the last video haunts my dreams- this one is beautiful, but, for me, personally, it doesn't have quite as much impact.  Doesn't the additional crunchiness give you a slight loss in interior moisture?

The extra crunch is only temporary and it too softens as the hot pie sits on the plate.  So in the end it's not much different from the other pie, especially b/c these slices are so thin.   On the thicker old school NY style, the crunchiness hangs out a bit longer but not much.  And this is the bottom crust we are talking about.  The rims are very similar in texture and moisture between this one and the previous one.  These rims were a bit darker b/c of the LBE environment.  If I had baked them in the home oven or the wfo, it wouldn't be so dark.  The shortening in the dough really prevents the crust/rims from getting too dry or crunchy regardless of the crust coloration.  So no lost in interior moisture.  Below is a shot of the bottom of that Totonno's styled pie.  It was baked at a slightly lower temp and the bottom was quite a bit softer than the 2nd pie initially.   They both ended up the same after sitting and it too was quite good.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:26:10 AM by Jackie Tran »

parallei

« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2012, 06:32:11 PM »
Those are sure looking good Chau. :chef:

What temp are you doing them on the LBE?  If it warms up, I may fire up the 2Stone and give your style a try!

scott123

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
The first week in March would be fantastic, Chau.  Please let us know the second your plans are finalized, so we can start planning.

That's a helpful frame of reference for the crunchiness/rigidity.  My pizza comes out of the oven rigid, but it loses that rigidity almost immediately.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2012, 05:08:06 PM »
Thanks Paul.  They are cook at a hearth temp of around 600F for close to 5mins.  A little less heat and shorter bake for a softer crust and a bit longer for a bit crispier texture.  You can adjust hydration rates as well.  As you can see these latest pies all have the margherita pepperoni that you so generously sent me.  It is excellent and I plan to get more when I'm out.   ;D

Scott, even my 70% hydrated NP pies baked at 900F for 60 seconds comes out of the oven stiff with a veneer on  the cornice.  I really like the contrast in texture.  I will let you know once I know more about whats going on.   

Chau

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
The first week in March would be fantastic, Chau.  Please let us know the second your plans are finalized, so we can start planning.

That's a helpful frame of reference for the crunchiness/rigidity.  My pizza comes out of the oven rigid, but it loses that rigidity almost immediately.

Good news, I'll be able to visit March 8 - 11 (Thursday - Sunday).  We will fly in on Thursday sometime and I can probably do a pizza tour on Friday or Saturday, up to you.   I don't have any preferences on where we go.  I'll leave it upto you or whoever else wants to join in.  Hopefully you aren't tired of doing these pizza tours yet.  :-X. Don't want to pizza you out.   I know my wife wants to stay on the upper east side around central park and 5th ave.   She plans for us to be taking a cab or the subway rather than renting a car.   Not sure if that will be helpful in planning or not.

Chau

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
Chau Pizza us out ? NOT ! see you 1st week of March !! start dieting now !!! :-D

John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »
Chau Pizza us out ? NOT ! see you 1st week of March !! start dieting now !!! :-D

John

John, I have given up on dieting.  :-D  Excited to meet you and others.

scott123

« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2012, 11:18:26 PM »
Chau, is this visit set in stone? If it is, I'll start a new thread and see who else might be able to join us and where everyone wants to go.

Start thinking about where you want to go. Based upon your bake time preference and the VIP treatment John can get for us, I think Vesta should be a consideration, although that will involve a train ride out to NJ. If you do come out to NJ, then I think a trip to Pizza Town is also in order.

I'm not sure what Larry's schedule is like, but he was invaluable in scoring us the the VIP treatment at Keste. Not that VIP treatment is critical- we'll have fun without chatting with Roberto or Frank, but it's always nice when someone knows the owner and we can chew their ear off for a bit. Maybe we could get some Roberto face time at Don Antonio.

If we do a Brooklyn leg, I think we should do Barboncino- and I'd also like you to taste a white pie at Best. I'll be driving in to Brooklyn through Manhattan, so I can pick you up.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2012, 11:28:04 PM »
Scott, I haven't bought my airline tickets yet, but it's pretty much set in stone.  I really don't know where to go so I will leave it up to you pros.  I would like to, if it's possible, try a pie from each of the styles, slice, old school ny, np, hybrids, or coal but trust the reccommendations of the pros.  So wherever you guys want to go, i'm game.  And if we only hit 2-3 places I'm good with that as well.  I'm pretty easy going. :).  Scott, picking me up will be a huge help to me.  Thank you so much.

Chau

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »
If you guys (plan on coming) come to Brooklyn or Manhattan let me know!

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
Fabulous recipe Chau.  Will try with shortening on my next attempt.  I finally got the cracking on the bottom and rim texture I've been looking for.  Super crispy and what really stands out is the lack of chew even after sitting for 30 mins.   5 and 4:30 min bakes.

Nate
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:23:55 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2014, 12:27:25 AM »
Nice job Nate.  Especially for a sub 5 min bake in the home oven.  That crust quality and texture you describe is not easy to attain so congrats.  And I like seeing that crack on the bottom crust.  More so, the bottom crust also has the proper look to it.  If I didn't know better, I'd pick that pie out from a line up as one of my own.   I think you'll like the shortening crust even more. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 07:03:00 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »
Nice job Nate.  Especially for a sub 5 min bake in the home oven.  That crust quality and texture you describe is not easy to attain so congrats.  And I like seeing that crack on the bottom crust.  More so, the bottom crust also has the proper look to it.  If I didn't know better, I'd pick that pie out from a line up as one of my own.   I think you'll like the shortening crust even more.

Thanks Chau,

I will give the shortening a try soon.  I was very impressed with the texture of this crust.  I've only had one undercarriage crack like that and I don't remember which dough I used.  Definitely will be adding it to my arsenal.

Nate
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 11:02:29 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline JD

« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2014, 09:58:19 PM »
I took the 4% oil for a spin, loved it. Much less chew than my previous attempts, this may replace my regular recipe. Thanks!

pizzapan