Author Topic: my first take at neapolitan  (Read 2565 times)

Offline misterschu

Re: my first take at neapolitan
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2016, 03:54:14 PM »
No. I don't have any mods. I never really have an issue with it burning on the bottom since I've come up with this method of launching 900 or so at the stone, then lowering to 3rd notch.

Launching at 900 sounds very hot... I've only used a Blackstone for about 15 pies, but I believe I was launching at 750-800. I then would turn the flame to highest blast. This was all in an unmodified oven. Pies cooked in about 100 seconds.

Offline misterschu

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2016, 03:56:04 PM »
Also, how do I avoid burning those leaves :(

I rinse the basil usually and the remaining water helps to prevent them from charring.

Online TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2016, 04:38:57 PM »
The blackstone is really hard on basil leaves. It doesn't cook like a normal WFO where almost all the top heat is IR. In a BS, it's forced convection of superheated air from the burner and it just frys the basil like a blowtorch. Your best bet may be to put it under the cheese.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline rsaha

• Still waiting for the "aha"
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »
Did you do the washer mod? I don't use my blackstone much anymore but I did find the washer mod to be a very useful one for balancing the top/bottom heat. Also, I don't think I've seen any indication of the temperature of the top stone? I try to get the top stone at least as hot as the bottom before I launch, hotter even, if I can. Don't know if it actually helps but it makes intuitive sense to me (although intuitive and NP don't always seem to go hand in hand:-)
Romain

wordpress