Author Topic: Giordano's Pizza Video (from St. Charles, IL)...shows how it's done!  (Read 1543 times)

Offline KimInPhx

This video was posted about a month ago.  I didn't see it on this forum, so I hope I'm not duplicating!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHDHUjkjenM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHDHUjkjenM</a>

Anyway, I have my pans ready to try and duplicate.  My sister is visiting from Naperville (she'll be here on Tuesday) and said she'll be my tester (since she has Giordano's about every other week).  I've tried about a thousand variations over the last 5 or 6 years and, for my taste buds, I'm coming darned close...but she's the expert on the actual taste!

I find it interesting, from the video, that he put the sausage on the bottom...not cheese...since it needs to be closest to the heat.  Then the pepperoni on top of that and smoked Canadian bacon on top of the pepperoni before adding the cheese.  That's very different from everything that I've see that puts cheese on the bottom before the ingredients.  It makes me wonder if the grease from the sausage adds something to the browning pattern (sorry...just thinking out loud).  This eliminates the "cheese buffer" at the bottom of the stuffed crust.  Hmmmmmmmm

Anyway, I'm new here.  I'll share after I put this together (and will actually take notes this time) as well as the response from my sister and her family!  Thank you all for the tons of information you've provided here!  I'm a long time lurker and a first time player!   :chef:

Offline scott123

Re: Giordano's Pizza Video (from St. Charles, IL)...shows how it's done!
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 03:19:54 PM »
My apologies if this is a dumb question, but what's he doing with the knife after removing the pie from the pan?

Offline KimInPhx

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »
He's shaving (just scraping with a knife) the edge for a cleaner appearance.  I've seen them do that at the one in Naperville, too.

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 03:31:31 PM »
Thanks  ;D

Offline BTB

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »
Kim, it's good that you are getting interested in a great aspect of Chicago Style pizzamaking.  I've long been eating Giordano's from when they opened their first pizzeria on 63rd and California back in the 70's and have recently become more appreciative of their style (i.e. variation) of Chicago deep dish pizza.  We've discussed in other threads -- which you've probably viewed -- of their variation from the classic deep dish style.  Three of the biggest differences are . . . shredded cheese rather than the preferred sliced cheese . . . ingredients under the cheese rather than over the cheese . . . and the second layer of crust over the cheese and toppings with the last major important component of tomato sauce LAST to be put onto the unique kind of Chicago Style deep dish pizza.

You've probably visited one of the threads (one of many is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5674.0.html), and are in tune with many of the thoughts and comments there.  Don't hesitate to let us know how we can help, but remember none of us really know what their recipe is, but we have many collective ideas here to help get you close.  Good luck and let us know (hopefully with some pictures) about your successes.

--BTB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 12:09:18 PM »
Kim,

If you are interested, I also tried the Giordano’s stuffed crust pizza. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10018.0.html

I plan on trying another one in a few weeks.  Best of luck in trying the Giordano’s deep dish pizza!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan