Author Topic: Sister visiting from Chicago gave the thumbs up! Giordano's Pizza-ish.  (Read 1452 times)

Offline KimInPhx

I've tried posting this a few times and it doesn't like my pics.  I'll be back (have to get her to the airport and back to the cold!) with the details.

My sister did say that side by side, this would pass the blindfold test.  YEA!  OK, I'll be back later tonight!   ;D

Offline KimInPhx

Re: Sister visiting from Chicago gave the thumbs up! Giordano's Pizza-ish.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 05:01:58 PM »
And, this is the final of the pie (yes, I need to learn how to get it out of the pan without breaking the side!) before consuming with a good glass of red.

(Yes, my Christmas tree is still up.  Don't judge!  :-[)

Thank you for any comments and I'll be back later tonight with the details!

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 09:54:36 PM »
nice job!!!!  great looking pie!!!!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 10:26:51 AM »
I normally do not find Chicago style pies that appetizing, but your wonderful results and beautiful photography made me question my appetite! Great job - I am sure your guests loved it.

John

Offline KimInPhx

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
Thank you for the comments!  I didn't get back last night.  I blame it on Pizza Coma!  >:D

Anyway, here's what I did...

Crust:

3 1/2 C AP Flour (I used Pillsbury)
10 T Vegetable oil
3/4 t Kosher Salt
3/4 t sugar
3/4 t garlic powder
2 T warm tap water

3/4 C Hot Tap Water (It was 115 degrees coming out of tap)
2 t Red Star Active Dry Yeast
3/4 t sugar

(I did this with my Kitchen Aid)

In a measuring cup, combine 3/4 C. hot tap water, yeast and sugar.  Set aside to allow yeast to proof.  In the mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and garlic powder.  Mix together with a fork to distribute the ingredients.  Add oil and slightly mix with dough hook.  Add water/yeast mixture.  Mix with dough hook for 1 minute on low (I used speed 1).  Stop to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.  Mix on 2 for 30 seconds.  Add the 2T of warm water, then mix on 4 for 2 minutes.  Transfer dough to a glass or ceramic bowl and let rise for 4 hours.  Refrigerate (covered with celephane wrap) for 24 hours.  Remove from fridge and allow dough to come to room temperature (took about an hour for me).  Weigh the dough.  Separate 1/3 of the dough for the top skin.

Make the sauce while the dough is coming to room temp.

Pre-heat oven to 475.  Make sure your rack is at the lowest level.  (My heating element is not on the bottom of the oven...it's on the top.  I did not use a baking stone under the pan, but you might want to if your heating element is at the bottom, to prevent burning.)

Sauce:

In a large pot, combine:

4 C of 6-in-1 tomatoes in heavy puree
2 t sugar
2 t Kosher salt
2 t crushed fresh garlic
1 T pizza seasoning from Penzy Spice

I mixed these together with an immersion blender to break up any tomatoe chunks and to infuse some air into the sauce.  It really brought out the flavors and completely combined everything with the sauce.

Generously butter the bottom of your pizza pan and approximately 1/3 of the way up the sides.  (For this pie, I used a 10" pan, 2" high.)  Place the crust to cover the bottom and extend it up and over the sides.  If you don't have it going over the top, your sauce can seep down and cause some slight burning (as you can see in the photo).

Layer your ingredients, beginning with the least cooked (i.e. sausage) as you want them closest to the heat of the pan.  So, for this one I put sausage on the bottom, followed by pepperoni, smoked Canadian bacon and then top with the cheese (approximately 1/2 lb for a 10" pie).  I used 1/4 lb whole milk mozzerella (freshly grated) and 1/4 lb. freshly grated lowfat mozzerella.  I mixed them up together in a bowl before putting it on the pizza.

Roll out the remaining dough so that it is really thin.  By the way, I didn't put any flour down for the rolling and the crust didn't stick at all.  I have granite counter tops, if that makes a difference.  Lay the thin skin on top of the cheese and press it all the way around the edges to seal the top to the side.  Pop about 8 holes in the top with your fingers.  Yes...holes.  It's amazing...but the sauce doesn't seep down!

Pour 2 ladles of sauce on top of the crust and swirl softly to get it to the sides and fully cover the crust.  Then, one more ladle of sauce and swirl a bit more.  This gives a really nice covering.  Trim your dough around the top of the pan pan (so that there is not any going over the top edge).  Don't trim to the inside since (as mentioned earlier) any sauce that goes between the crust and the pan will scorch and give a burnt look.  Sprinkle fresh grated parmesan lightly on top (mostly for appearance...not much taste from the small amount).

Make sure your oven is fully heated and bake at 475 for approximately 40 minutes (it was 41 minutes in my oven).  Remove from pan and let set for 1 minute before cutting.

I took the extra sauce and warmed it on top of the stove while the pizza was baking for anyone that wanted some extra sauce on their pizza.  Just a nice small ladle of warm sauce on top!

As I said, my sister was convinced that I had ordered this in.  I had to pull out the extra pepperonni and Canadian bacon from the fridge to prove otherwise.  The crust was slight dry (but, not like a cracker) and flakey (like a biscuit).  The sauce was pretty much spot on.  At this point, I don't see any place that I would make changes to it (other than making sure the bottom crust comes up over the top of the pan prior to sealing the top crust).

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:54:19 AM »
Yes, very nice photography and tutorial.Good job!  Thank you!!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Very nice job!  Maybe I'm missing it somewhere here, but what size is the pan?  Looks to be 10" or 12".

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

Offline moose13

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 09:27:32 PM »
Looks great!
I will have to try this.

Offline KimInPhx

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:32:25 AM »
Thank you, moose and Chicago Bob.

Loowaters, this one was in a 10" pan, 2" deep.  I actually made 2 of them (one for sharing).  Shared with Chicago people and they've all given rave reviews for taste and for appearance in being a Giordano's clone. 

Probably shouldn't have shared so much...one of them asked me to make 2 for their family next week.  I'm thinking I should just share the recipe and loan the pans.   :-D

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 10:41:36 PM »
Saw these pics on Pinterest.  If anyone wants to make a Giordanos stuffed pie using AP flour this is a good one to attempt.  The crust has a very different (great) look to it (where it is cracked) vs other AP attempts.  Crust needs to be thicker though.

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline slagathor

• I love onions!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 11:03:34 PM »
Awesome looking pie! I'm not clear as to whether a giordano's clone is built with the cheese on top of the stuffings or is this a different style of Chicago pie. Seems like not a lot of cheese either. Is that part of the style or am I just a cheese hog? We'll, ok. I am a cheese hog. Great pix. Love the 4 square shot.

Cheers
I slit the sheet. The sheet I slit. And on the slitted sheet I sit.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 11:09:16 PM »
Awesome looking pie! I'm not clear as to whether a giordano's clone is built with the cheese on top of the stuffings or is this a different style of Chicago pie. Seems like not a lot of cheese either. Is that part of the style or am I just a cheese hog? We'll, ok. I am a cheese hog. Great pix. Love the 4 square shot.

Cheers

For Giordanos famous stuffed pizzas the cheese always goes over the meats.  For my veggies I like to blend together with the shredded mozzarella.

Nate

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 09:12:49 AM »
Saw these pics on Pinterest.  If anyone wants to make a Giordanos stuffed pie using AP flour this is a good one to attempt.  The crust has a very different (great) look to it (where it is cracked) vs other AP attempts.  Crust needs to be thicker though.

Nate

Nice thread necro.  We didn't have enough open Giordano's threads at the moment?   :-D

Offline pythonic

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
Nice thread necro.  We didn't have enough open Giordano's threads at the moment?   :-D

Lmao.