Author Topic: A couple of questions before making my first starter  (Read 848 times)

Offline RamirOk

• Personal site
A couple of questions before making my first starter
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:35:50 PM »
Hello this is going to be my first serious try to make a starter, I have read several books that touch on the subject but just now I'm reading one that focuses only on wild yeast and have finally decided to make one for myself, but I have some questions before I begin.

Where I live I can only get organic and unbleached flour in 2 shops specialized in imported products, there are very expensive.

For that reason I was wondering if I can make a good starter with regular bleached flour.
I was also thinking about starting the first few days with organic and unbleached flour until it is stable and strong and then switch to regular flour.

Another question is that water is recommended to start with, my tap water is safe to drink but I have read that I can use bottled water or boil tap water.
What would be the safest way?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 04:15:25 PM by RamirOk »

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: A couple of questions before starting my first starter
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 02:37:44 PM »
RamirOk

You are asking questions that could start wars between sourdough enthusiasts. My advice would be to use the purest flour and water you have available. You can't do better than that. If you want even more advice, I'd follow the instructions given by Debbie Wink in her "Pineapple Solution" sourdough regime. Stay tuned, I'll try to link to it for you.

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: A couple of questions before starting my first starter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »

buceriasdon

Re: A couple of questions before making my first starter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
RamirOK, I have had no success using the bleached ADA(a bromate substitute) added flour here in Mexico. The starter begins well and then slowly dies off from feeding the additive flour. I know two professional bakers here who experienced the same thing. I have acquired some Gold Medal Better for Bread flour which does not have additives and will be trying the pineapple or raisin starter method again soon. I do believe once you get a strong starter going then feeding with Mexican flour might not be so bad. IMO use a no additive flour and get the culture going well first.
Don