Author Topic: Pizzamaking Fanatics 2012 NYC Tour – Joe’s, Keste, Paulie Gee’s, Best, Motorino  (Read 11516 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Me Me  My turn ! Larry is probably still on a bus!  ;D
First off if any of you were jealous of not being there well, YOU SHOULD BE!  :P
Just kidding guys and gals but really it was great I will follow thorder and put up my similar cheap camera phone pics and comments. I ate more pizza in NY than I have in 23 years of living in NJ! I time my ride home from Montorino at about only  35-38 minutes at 49 degrees! bottom line with no traffic its a piec of cake to get in there for a real Neapolitan pizza or great NY slice.  
Keste Magnificent I loved the way Roberto who as mentioned was very gracious and a great host   descibed the differnce in dough which is food and say a steak whicjh is also food answer The dough is alive!! My personal favorite Pizza of the night ! Glad to see also he has good taste in Mixers. The  same mecnosud as Larry and I just a bigger brother. He also emphasized the importance of having a system which he sure has dialed in!! I am working on that everytime I do a party as he mentions you learn something new every day. Funny thing there was when craig ate the raw dough Monkey see Monkey do and yes you could taste the saltiness. I have never done that but i really likedd the direct taste method. heres the oven and house special Burrata Mozz pie delish!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:25:02 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Paulie Gee,
Cool thing about this place is the vibe. Barnish, hipish, darkish, very coolish. and then theres Paulie! who also admitted to using a mecnosud fork mixer :) I was bit taken aback by his chuckwagon comment when I showed him a pic of my mobile. But think he realized I was serious when I showed him what comes out of the chuckwagon. Hes a special guy and very very  passionate about what he does! and even though Scott pried on the fermentation and tomatoes he held out. I think thats really great to keep the mystique.H also spoke highly of Keste and Roberto which shows what a true gentleman he is!  I like his theory on the secret tomatoes.  Get a bunch of tomatoes, peel the label off the can, try them all and pic the one you like best  ! Perfect!  Larry asked if he thinks he did the right thing and emphatic 100% yes was the reply, never doubted for a second. He selected some great pies for us and they came out fast and furious. The biggest difference between here and Keste was the beautiful pronounced leoparding and the amount of bench flour used here. I am working hard to use as little as possible but this pizza  shows it not as big and issue when done right. great crazy cool names for all pies. We had
Greenpointer (Street its on) - Fiore D latte, tomatoes ,arugula, O Oil and shaved parm fresh lemon juice
Delboy -Fiore d latte sopressata (awesome stuff) shaved parm reg
In Ricotta Davita  tomato sausage ricotta a oevoo
Cherry Jones FDL,Gorgonzola prosciutto DE parmedried big cherries orange blossom Honey really enjoyed that one! great stop!!thanks Paulie!!! I'll Be Back!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Best
WOW!! best street slice I ever had blew away Joes which I forgot to mention earlier, as  I was so underimpressed I got to take a slice home and broke my earlier promise of no pizza because I did not want it to go bad of course

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Montorino ,Another wow!! with the 2 new pies to me Brussel sprouts and clam never had either and cant wait to have them again!
Place is so small as Norma mentioned the Dough is made at a local bakery.
Difference here was the Pizziaolo was slapping and beating  the dough spinning and tosssing.... Roberto may have had a heart attack if he saw this guy slapping but tell you what it  stil came out great !!
Another noticable difference to me here  was the shy under side,  nice leoparding on coricione with a much lighter char than the mobile stephano oven at Paulies. Craig pointed out how Oven was very well broken in The  hearth was beat to death but man what a finished product!  
John
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:55:32 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Man, I gotta say I envy you guys.

Seems like everybody had an absolute blast. Great stuff and awesome write-ups. Not to mention the pictures. Wonderful.

Next time we need to hold one here on the left coast  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline TXCraig1

Man, I gotta say I envy you guys.

Seems like everybody had an absolute blast. Great stuff and awesome write-ups. Not to mention the pictures. Wonderful.

Next time we need to hold one here on the left coast  ;D

Mike, I'll be there!

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline scott123

I was bit taken aback by his chuckwagon comment when I showed him a pic of my mobile.

I heard him say 'chuckwagon' but didn't catch the context and thought to myself "did he just say that about John's oven?"

I guess he did ;D As much as the term's a bit jarring, he's kind of right. John, as beautiful as your oven is (as far as mobile ovens go, it's one of the best looking, imo), the dark cart and white ceiling do give it a slightly chuckwagon-y appearance.

Offline Ev

Yeah, and he called mine a dog house! :-D  I'm over it already.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
 dear pizza enthusiasts, i want to thank all of you for a wonderful evening! that was the most comfortable i have ever felt with a group of people i have never met in my life. i guess our passion for pizza makes us family because that is what i got from every one.
  i felt that Roberto ,Paulie, and the young man at best pizza{ i know he is the founder just do not know his name}, are passionate at what they do.that is why they connected with all of us and made us welcome.the interesting connection especially with paulie is that what they are doing is something any one of us could do. we all have passion, good product,and a story. Craig's garage, Johns,fully equipped garage with portable covered wagon,sorry i know that is a sore subject ,but had to throw that in  :-D. this goes for many of the members on the site.i know there are a lot that have graduated from hobby to business. lets face it there are subtle differences in the pies we tasted both NY style, and Neapolitan style what we do is not far off . turning the home recipient into a business is not easy and it is a big risk, it has been done by many here!
  my thoughts on the pizza, didn't partake in joes  i was a little late, had it before thought it was good. keste's pizza was outstanding ,baked to perfection. i believe this is what you get in Naples. will know more in March as that is when i will taste first hand pizza from Naples. that is another subject as i need recommendations on Naples as well as Rome. i though Roberto was a very gracious host and his passion is from the heart!! he is a really good man and takes his pizza very serious. his philosophy is to make adjustments in you raw product to fit your environment. forget the water, altitude temperatures . a good pizza maker will know how to adjust for all factors. may be old school,but i like it. thank you Roberto!
 Paulie, this guy is a character in a great way, this personality is what it takes, i Kidd john because he has that same aggressive trait. he says it like it is. and that is the kind of person that is fun to talk to, ask a questions of, don't worry if you offend ,he will answer or will tell you not your business. for instance his tomatoes,he would not tell us what they were ,but gave us his recommendation on a worthy substitute.now why the hell would he not feed us a tomato, mozzarella  and basil pizza. probably the best way to compare his tomatoes to those of other wood fired pizzerias. he is into very creative toppings and pizzas and they were all very good,i am steeling his cherry jones, sorry but it knocked m socks off!!! yes you guys were right i had tears in my eyes because there was no margherita. last ,Pauli thanks for the lemon aid it was delicious. :chef:
 best pizza, wow really delicious slice don't know how to categorize it, as wood is not normal for a Ny slice it seemed to soften the dough and flavor it with a bit of similarity to neapolitan, it was delicious.the owner went out of his way to show us his local ingredients, coal transformed to wood oven.and was very open with questions. a great pizza.
 last is motorinos this was very good as well,not much interaction with management,but we were able to view the oven .our waiter was able to tell us the dough is now made for them at a bakery using motorinos formula and mixer. it used to be made a the Brooklyn store until it was closed.i like motorinos a lot. there dough is a little different than most less salt and i think they under seasoned the tomato sauce because they add sea salt as a final step.just my impression i may be way off.
 i was able to sample two other pizzas this week zerro ott novo  on Aurthur ave. in the bronx good pizza thinner than most, crisp crust very lite on tomato sauce, great cheese made by a cheese shop somewhere on the street.
Aurthur ave. is a scary place at night the street is safe, you have to ask the restaurant to call a cab as they are scarce.in the day time Aurthur  ave is a must visit. a great little Italy street with a lot of high quality stores of all types.
 on my way to NY i stopped at il pizziolo in Pittsburgh,  i have pictures and will put them up soon. this place makes a killer pizza. ron leaves nothing to chance every ingredient is chosen by how it contributes to the final product. it was delicious, his restaurant would do a big business in NY,it is that good.
 in closing thanks to all of you,i hope this was the first of many meetings!! Craig thanks for putting this together.thanks to Scott for the itinerary,also Scott,and john for driving! one more thing Scott i will be calling you you were just getting gone on slice style tips and we had to breakup the meeting,so you are warned.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 11:37:23 AM by thezaman »

Offline TXCraig1

dear pizza enthusiasts, i want to thank all of you for a wonderful evening! that was the most comfortable i have ever felt with a group of people i have never met in my life. i guess our passion for pizza makes us family because that is what i got from every one.
I couldn't agree more. I felt like I knew everyone already.

Paulie, this guy is a character in a great way, this personality is what it takes... now why the hell would he not feed us a tomato, mozzarella and basil pizza. 
Larry, I'm with you on this. A Margherita is my favorite pie too, notwithstanding, when I have a gracious host like Paulie, I'm going to let him be my guide.

CL

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
 Craig, ya, Paulie was a gracious host.last time in i had his equivalent to a margherita  and it was very good.i am glade we got to taste his uniquely creative pizzas.
 i want to know how your pizza differs in tastes using a starter,and do you ever make yeast risen pizza?

Offline TXCraig1

i want to know how your pizza differs in tastes using a starter,and do you ever make yeast risen pizza?

I have not made a pizza with regular yeast in about 4 years. I find the sourdough (Ischia) flavor to be much more complex and hands down better tasting. There is a slight hint of sourness, but there are also more intense yeast flavors and it also seems to lend a somewhat creamy flavor.

CL

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Mike, I'll be there!

Craig

Craig,

The S.F. Bay Area has seen some great pizza movement in the last 2-3 years with the openings of Flour & Water, Zero Zero, Pizzaiolo in Oakland, Tony's, Pizza Picco in Larkspur and, not to forget, UPN. The latest is Mozzeria.

The Artisan side with Gialina, Ragazza, Delfina, Pauline's, etc., is also covered.

Those are only a handful of places. Tomaso's in North Beach is another one that comes to mind with a WFO. Anyway, it's no match for New York but for a small town like SF is still good.

Maybe we can plan something for the summer. We'll see...
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline TXCraig1

Mike, I have family in SF that happen to be borderline Neo fanatics. I love the pizza scene you have in SF but, I definitely have not spent enough time there. I'm looking forward to it.

Craig

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
mike, i would like to be included in this pizza tour. the listed restaurants are always reviewed with lots of praise. and i will not be happy until i experience una pizza napolitana. we may be able to get anthony to give us a few minutes.if you want to set up something i am in!!

Offline Ev

Wow! You guys work fast! I'm already jealous! :-D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
I will be in Utah end of August I will shoot out too  if the timing  is right !
John

Offline vitoduke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
My wife and I would definitely go.

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
Looks like a fun time guys. I wish I was there! It looks like Joe's has dropped off from when I used to eat lunch there every day, but back then Joe still made a lot of the pies. I wonder if they kept the original oven when they moved locations? Where is Best pizza? Looks good. Did anyone happen to get up to Patsy's or out to Tottono's? Just curious how they are these days.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Terry,
Best is in Brooklynn, Old HUGE coal converted to wood oven . They cook in there and reheat in a small gase deck oven. VeryVery  good slice!!