Author Topic: Pizzamaking Fanatics 2012 NYC Tour – Joe’s, Keste, Paulie Gee’s, Best, Motorino  (Read 11658 times)

Offline TXCraig1

They will be busy when you expect them to be busy. This time of year is probably as good as any to visit. Don't go on Fri-Sun if you can avoid it. Hit Paulie Gee's right before they open.

CL
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:55:23 PM by TXCraig1 »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
Looks like such a great time :). You guys hit up some killer places! Paulie is such a character. Roberto so gracious. Best so kick-ass new skool-oldschool. Joe's is pretty delicious right from the oven but as you guys noticed/noted it isn't quite in the same league as the other venues you chose.

Although Kesté is pretty great it did/does strike me and my better half as being on the salty end dough wise for sure. That said, everyone experiences salt a bit differently which in part explains peoples preference for say 2.2% vs 3% or whatever. I wish there was one perfect salt level for dough but in my efforts to find it I have realized that it depends a lot on the toppings and who is eating it.

As far as bench flour -- less tastes better to me. At Paulie's they have such a volume of pies that have to move around in such a short time and basically they can't afford to have any sticking anywhere. So the hydration of the dough and the amount of bench flour reflects those needs. If you/one could crack out as many pies as he does with less bench flour, that would be great I would think. It just might not be that easy. Paulie has seemed pretty pragmatic about this sort of thing and I am sure it is for a good reason. I try to use (and prefer) as little bench flour as possible since the finished crust is less acrid and tastes better -- to me, but I would use more if certain other factors required it. Not a style thing but a necessity thing.

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
OK fellows..... when is the event next year?  I am definetely there.....
Paolo

Offline PizzaVera

Would you guys agree with Guilo Adriani, that paulie gee's is not a Neopolatan pizzeria.?

Offline alpinegroove

Did the SF tour ever take place?

Offline TXCraig1

Not yet.

Offline Oceans05

• I Love Pizza!

Offline TXCraig1

mm this looks fantastic! what is it?

A pizza skin baked naked, split open, filled with Nutella, and then dusted with powdered sugar. It's good.