Author Topic: I'm ready  (Read 461 times)

Offline Mels Pizza

I'm ready
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:38:19 AM »
Hi.....it's me Melanie with a pizza place in New Jersey.  Looking for anyone who can give me ideas on how to increase my business.  Found this site and was very happy...might have other questions along the way.  :pizza:

Offline scott123

Re: I'm ready
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:52:08 PM »
Hello Melanie, and welcome to the forum. I'm in New Jersey as well  ;D

Could you tell us the name of your place and where it's located?

Also, what style of pizza do you sell?

Offline Mels Pizza

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:40:28 PM »
Hi Scott.....Have a pizzeria in Elizabeth since 1989.  December 2010 I leased the business to someone for one year and he destroyed the business.  Now I have to come back from beautiful Virginia Beach to rebuild.  What a nightmare.  I did hire a marketing person so we will see what happens.  Where are you located? 

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 09:18:31 PM »
Elizabeth, really?  I've been reading a bit about a place called Santillo's and planning on taking a trip there soon. I'm in Morristown. Are you familiar with Santillo's? Here's a good write-up:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/04/santillos-brick-oven-pizza-a-time-machine-in-elizabeth-new-jersey.html

Other than the last photo, the pizzas don't look that phenomenal, but I really like the style by year thing he's doing, and, if the author of the article likes it, Adam Kuban, with the amount of places he goes to, it has to be pretty amazing.

Are you really sure you need a marketing person?  I just consulted with a brand new pizzeria in the UK that's been open about two months.  I only helped him with the pizza, but eventually the topic of his marketing budget came up.  The total that he spent on advertising was about $75.  That's it  ;D He's been open two months and is running out of dough a couple times a week.

Obviously, Elizabeth is not the UK, and you've got a lot more competition than he has, but, in my opinion, if your pizza is truly spectacular, you really don't need to spend anything to get the word out.  Word of mouth is just fine.  Now... if your pizza is not as good as it could be, perhaps because this guy you leased the business to put out a less than stellar product, then that might take some kind of advertising to counteract a bad impression. If the business is truly 'destroyed' then perhaps it might be time for a complete revamp with a new name.  Of course, you could always do the 'under new management' thing, but I think, for most people that kind of marketing is usually taken with a big grain of salt.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 01:39:41 AM by scott123 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »
Scott,
Vesta , Brunos ,Santillos, Mels- name the day !
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 04:00:27 AM »
John, my schedule's relatively open.  Is there any day of the week that's better/worse for you?  I hear Vesta's pretty crazy on the weekends, plus, I'd like to, if possible, chat with Al Santillo (if he'll chat with us), so that, too, might be tricky on the weekend, so I'm thinking weekday afternoon, maybe 1:30 on. With the exception of the first stop (Brunos perhaps?) that should put us at the other places during slower pre-dinner times. Do you get any weekday afternoons off?

If you give me an idea of your availability, I'll start a new thread and see if anyone wants to join us.

Melanie, sorry about the threadjack. If you give us the name of your place, we would definite make a point of stopping by.  You're also more than welcome to join us on our mini pizza crawl/fact finding mission.

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 04:07:31 PM »
Other than the last photo, the pizzas don't look that phenomenal, but I really like the style by year thing he's doing, and, if the author of the article likes it, Adam Kuban, with the amount of places he goes to, it has to be pretty amazing.

Scott: The pizzas at Santillo's are a notch or two above what you would get at a NYC slice place. The crust isn't going to win awards or bowl you over if you are used to some of the top-notch WFO crusts that you are no doubt used to.

What I really like about Santillo's is the atmosphere, the thing he does with the years, and just Al himself, who is a great, great guy. Don't go expecting to be blown away by the flavor. It's good pizza, but it's more about the romance of the place here.

I hope that makes sense/helps you.
¡Hasta la pizza!

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 04:43:39 AM »
Adam, thank you for the clarification. To be honest, I spend a great deal of my time seeking out pizzerias that are a 'notch or two above what you would get at a NYC slice place.'  I'm also not that hugely enamored (at this point) with WFOs.  I love Vesta (East Rutherford) and like Best (Williamsburg), but I don't, for the most part, attribute the greatness of their pizzas to their WFOs. Give me a hot enough deck, and I'm a happy camper.

This being said, I've seen the photos and this pizza is definitely not in the lower bake time spectrum that I prefer.  I'm kind of hoping that one of the years is a slightly faster bake then the others, but I'm being realistic about my expectations.

Thanks, again.

Offline akuban

• Crusty, saucy, cheesy
    • Margot's Pizza
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »
Scott: I saw your rundown on Vesta, and it made me really want to get out there. Once I get a free weekend day, I'm there. I read what you had to say about WFO vs. NYC-style in one of those posts -- it was where you talked about turning more toward good toppings as of late. I really liked what you had to say there and can relate. I'm slowly becoming a WFO fan but have found that my favorite places have both a flavorful crust AND great/thoughtful topping combos. Yeah, I'd eat the plain pizza at most of these places, but much prefer a good augmentation.

IIRC, Al's pizza bake times are relatively long.

And, yes, reading more and more from you on Pmking and I see where you spend your time pizzawise ;)
¡Hasta la pizza!