Author Topic: Almost giving up and rage stories  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Fodowsky

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Almost giving up and rage stories
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 02:43:26 PM »

Eat magic brownies, stay mellow.   8)

Rage is unsustainable as a food group, or as an emotion. 

^^^ ^^^ ;D
Jeff

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• I Do It For The Guests.
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 05:55:38 PM »
My reaction when I see a hole or paper thin spot in the pizza dough.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 07:05:20 PM »

Pizza Rage? Yeah, not worth it..even though we approach this with passion and commitment, at the end of the day, know what it is?

Breathe, relax.    It's pizza.

Yeah, but, but, but once the dough is mixed, all I think about is the pizza.  That's 48 or 72 hours of pizza anticipation.  When it sticks to the peel (I launch 20" 0.07 tf pies on a 20" stone so it's happened to me a few times), it induces NC17 rage in me.  It's therapeutic.  You can't keep that stuff bottled up.  It's not healthy.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 07:29:53 PM »
I'm not saying I'm not bothered..oh, I'm bothered. hate when it goes south! 

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 09:26:18 PM »
For me, the most frustrating aspect of pizza making right now is repeatability. The differences aren't really noticed by friends and family, just me. I've been able to make what I feel is truly great pizza on occasion, but I can't do it consistently and it is slowly driving me insane. Well...more insane.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 09:32:55 PM »
For me, the most frustrating aspect of pizza making right now is repeatability. The differences aren't really noticed by friends and family, just me. I've been able to make what I feel is truly great pizza on occasion, but I can't do it consistently and it is slowly driving me insane. Well...more insane.
This too.

Offline the1mu

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 11:09:15 PM »
I don't think I've ever wanted to give up. Definitely had some rage moments. Dented a metal peel after sticking issues. Thankfully no one was in the kitchen to see it. They just heard it from the other room.

I try to never let it get to me. But frustration is inevitable when things go wrong because I want them to go right and I usually do it for guests, so I want it to be good.

Offline CarryOn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 08:01:13 AM »
With cooking in general, I do get grief from the wife, and that also gets under my skin.

She can't cook, doesn't cook, has no interest in the kitchen whatsoever, which is fine, because I'd sleep in the kitchen if I could.  I live to cook and to eat and to drink.  Match made in heaven, right?

Wrong!

When I cook, I think it's a fair trade off that she at least help with clean-up, but she complains that my cooking style leaves too much of a mess.  On the rare occasion when she'll make something for dinner (from a box or a can), then she's very big about saying, "I cooked.  You're cleaning up!"

It's about the only thing, after being together over 28 years, that we ever get in an argument about.  The problem is, I could be an ass and stop cooking at home, but I can't stand pre-made stuff and eating out usually is subpar.

Offline sodface

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 09:32:09 PM »
I got pretty mad about three pizzas ago when I couldn't get the pizza off the peel and I scooped it all up with both hands and jammed it down into the garbage.  Glad there wasn't a can lid down there waiting to cut me to ribbons.

That was it though, I didn't really flip out or bellow profanity like I used to do when I was younger.  I'd like to think that I've got more self control and a better attitude now that I'm a bit older, but in truth, I think I'm just tired!  :-D

Offline foreplease

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
Y'all are a bunch of psychos! Who knew?  ;D Just kidding.

Several people have told me I handle huge problems and emergencies well but not so much little everyday problems. My wife is great with everyday little things and certainly not incapable but maybe not as good with problems of a bigger or more serious nature - something she would admit or I would never say it here. In this, thankfully, and so many other ways we are, "for better or worse," good mates.

I like to think I have improved with age. I think of myself as a drive person in the way that not everybody would understand or admire. Through a couple of serious injuries I have had to rely on others for care for all but the simplest things for weeks at a time. In addition to being difficult to accept or resign oneself to, it is humbling and I think it has made me a better or more compassionate person.

But, yeah, there have been a couple times when a pizza or bread pissed me right off  ;D I'm either too stubborn or not smart enough to quit. Never considered it. When you make something 100 times or 500 times, only one is going to be your worst ever and your best ever.

It would probably do all of us good to do a shift in Walter's place.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline kramer73

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 07:46:40 AM »
With cooking in general, I do get grief from the wife, and that also gets under my skin.

She can't cook, doesn't cook, has no interest in the kitchen whatsoever, which is fine, because I'd sleep in the kitchen if I could.  I live to cook and to eat and to drink.  Match made in heaven, right?

Wrong!

When I cook, I think it's a fair trade off that she at least help with clean-up, but she complains that my cooking style leaves too much of a mess.  On the rare occasion when she'll make something for dinner (from a box or a can), then she's very big about saying, "I cooked.  You're cleaning up!"

It's about the only thing, after being together over 28 years, that we ever get in an argument about.  The problem is, I could be an ass and stop cooking at home, but I can't stand pre-made stuff and eating out usually is subpar.

I do the cooking in our house, as well as cleaning the dishes.  If I don't do the dishes, they just sit.

Rage-related, I've thrown a doughball or two in the garbage because it just wouldn't cooperate!  It's been a few years since that's happened though.  I attribute that to joining this group.  :)

Offline JD

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2016, 10:15:24 AM »
I don't really get mad at pizza failures as they are usually a lesson learned, but I was extremely disappointed in myself when I was using an enamel top bakers table I inherited from my late grandmother as a cutting board for pizza. When I cleaned the top at the end of the night, all the scratches left behind just drained the life out of me.

It looks identical to the table in the picture, but I only have the top. I'd love to know if it could be fixed.

JD's NY Style
JD's Neapolitan using my Pizza Party WFO

You cannot teach experience.

-Josh

Offline texmex

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2016, 10:55:46 AM »
I don't really get mad at pizza failures as they are usually a lesson learned, but I was extremely disappointed in myself when I was using an enamel top bakers table I inherited from my late grandmother as a cutting board for pizza. When I cleaned the top at the end of the night, all the scratches left behind just drained the life out of me.

It looks identical to the table in the picture, but I only have the top. I'd love to know if it could be fixed.

Powdercoating at auto paint shop or look into bath tub restoration ....
Reesa

Offline bjc113

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2016, 08:36:18 AM »
Nice! Glad to know I'm not the only lunatic making pizza!

In the past I have definitely freaked out over failure to launch issues with the dough sticking to the peel.  I've broken two peels in anger and chucked stuck doughs angrily in the direction of my sink (making a bigger mess)

Lately I've been cool though...I'll over make dough so losing one isn't a big deal. And I use parchment paper for the launch now so no issues

Offline elephant man

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
I have used parchment paper for almost all pizza launched on a stone unless it is a recipe that uses a screen. The simple recipe of flour, water 65%, yeast .125% and salt 1.5 %left to ferment in the wine cooler overnight after an intense mix and the balled and refrigerated for a day or two, taken out and allowed to come to room temp gives me the most extendable dough I have ever made. You can stretch out a 230g dough to 14" and the pizza baked at 550-600 degrees F will make that crispy and tasty pizza that you have been dreaming about. Use the NY Style pizza sauce recipe that Kenji cooks on serious eats and it's a done deal.

This is with local Thai flour that is quite suspect in terms of labelling.

I did purchase some Gold Medal better for bread flour that sells for $8.00 for a five pound bag vs. the Thai flour that sells for $1.25 for a 2 pound bag and will run a side by side comparison for the NY style and the Detroit Style pizzas.

Offline Jackie Tran

• Supporting Member
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2016, 11:04:40 PM »
I just have a little raw flour on the counter I spent 6k building a pizza oven last spring.  If I knew she was going to freek about a little flour that I will clean up anyway  I might not have built it. I love it but not worth the stress.

Randy

That's a shame.  If I'm making pizza for your family or friends, then you can help me clean up the mess dear.  I suspect she is mad at you for some other underlying issue(s).  People often supress their emotions and allow resentment to build, which ends up coming out as an argument over flour on the counter or a sock that didn't land in the laundry basket. 

My very first pizza didn't rise at all.  I'm glad I kept at it through the failures.  Occasionally when I'm tired or in a hurry I will mismeasure or forget to put a topping on.  These days I try to just laugh at my mistakes.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2016, 08:37:31 PM »
That's a shame.  If I'm making pizza for your family or friends, then you can help me clean up the mess dear.  I suspect she is mad at you for some other underlying issue(s).  People often supress their emotions and allow resentment to build, which ends up coming out as an argument over flour on the counter or a sock that didn't land in the laundry basket. 

My very first pizza didn't rise at all.  I'm glad I kept at it through the failures.  Occasionally when I'm tired or in a hurry I will mismeasure or forget to put a topping on.  These days I try to just laugh at my mistakes.

Mhm, when your dough doesn't rise what so ever in the oven, the feeling so hollowing it almost breaks you.

You have to be a different kind of animal to pursue pizza making no matter how bad your failure may seem for you at the time.

It's tough passion or hobby honestly.