Author Topic: Sorrento Italy Pizzeria or Restaurant reccomendations?  (Read 3301 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Sorrento Italy Pizzeria or Restaurant reccomendations?
« on: August 08, 2005, 06:37:37 PM »
I will be staying in Sorrento Italy for six days and am trying to find any pizzeria or restaurant recommendations in that area.  There is tons of info on pizza and other food in Naples, but I think the bulk of my time will be spent in Sorrento, with day trips to Amalfi, Postiano, Capri and Naples.  I have checked out slowfood and tripadvisor, but does anyone here at Pizzamaking have any advice? 

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Sorrento Italy Pizzeria or Restaurant reccomendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 07:05:06 PM »
scott,

You may want to go here, http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=home, and put "Sorrento" (or any other appropriate name) into the Google search box for the forum. There is a fair amount of discussion of Sorrento restaurants. Searching your other destinations may also produce something of value.

Tou might also go to http://www.chowhound.com/main.html, and enter "Sorrento Italy" in its Google search box.  You could do likewise with your other destinations.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 07:20:24 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 02:40:12 AM »
peter egullet is a really helpful site.  I think I will be spending a lot of time there. These people are SERIOUS about food, but also seem to be having fun with it.  Great link!!!!! Still no solid pizzeria advice for Sorrento though.  Maybe I will just have to try them all. ;D

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 03:10:37 PM »
Sorrento is not a good place for pizza. They make what is called "Pizza al Metro" (Pizza by the meter). The dough is different and the pizza is baked in huge wood burning ovens.

The most famous is "Gigino pizza al metro" in Vico Equense (5-10 mins from Sorrento). In my opinion the pizza dough/base is not great and not mature, therefore it results in an bad digestion...
The restaurant however is very good (a bit pricy).

CIao
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 03:56:07 PM by pizzanapoletana »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 11:34:20 PM »
Here's a link Scott with a  little Video  with some info about the place Marco mentions.

http://www.italiancookingandliving.com/tv/pizza_amore.html#
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 04:11:02 PM »
I have just returned from a week holiday in Italy. I met Scott in Sorrento and we had a very good time. Hopefully, he will have the chance to try 1 or 2 places we talked about.

Other then that, I realized that I had almost forgotten what difference makes to cook fish that have been fished the same morning. I had the most amazing Sea Bass (Spigola), Sea Bream (Orata), Mussels (Cozze) and Clams (Vongole veraci). On my last day in Gaeta, I also had the chance to buy and cook a mixture of larvae fish... that was really amazing..

Anyway, back to reality now....

Ciao

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 04:19:15 PM »
I have been trying any pizza that is recommended by the locals while here in Sorrento.  So far the best has been Del Franco.  The pizza crust is very similar to Sally's in New Haven, so it is right up there with the best in the US. 
I also had a great pie today in Amalfi.  This pie was totally neapolitan style. I talked to the chef and he was so friendly, just like everyone here.  He is using Caputo blue.  I walked up and down and visually checked the pizza in all of the pizzerias I could find.  The one with the crust that looked closest to the pics I have seen at De Michele was the one I tried, and it was amazing. This place fired the oven hotter than most of the other places. As I went looking for the bathroom I was surprised to find Lenny Kravitz eating at the same place with what I assume is his latest supermodel girlfriend and her family.  The girls travelling with me sure liked that suprise sighting!
So far I have yet to find a crust with better texture than what I have been making at home with Marco's recipe, or what I had at Una Pizza. The only advantage these places seem to have is the amazing wood smoked flavor, and access to better tomatoes and basil.  I did not notice this special woody flavor at Una Pizza, so I think it might be the type of wood they are burning that adds the flavor.  It really does seem that the coal oven joints are also at a disadvantage.  The woody flavor just adds so much. I have pics to post as soon as I can find a fast connection.  In the next few days I will get to Naples where I am told the quality of pizza will increase.