Author Topic: Secret ingredients  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Pizzaboyo

Secret ingredients
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:16:23 PM »
Hi folks, I love trying out new ingredients in my recipes and always looking for new ideas. Of late I've been adding a splash of sherry vinegar to my sauce that gives it a kind of sweet n sour taste, I've also tried star anise and cinnamon sticks.Guinness used instead of water in my dough (I'm Irish what can I say  :-D) Anyone want to share their secret ingredients??
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Secret ingredients
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 02:07:02 PM »
According to Reply 142 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11578.msg107497/topicseen.html#msg107497, Norma apparently uses spit in her dough and preferments. Norma is also very talented in that she can spit a dough ball into two pieces (first paragraph in Reply 18 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10703.msg95354/topicseen.html#msg95354) and she is so tough that she can even spit firebricks (Reply 30 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11085.msg101025/topicseen.html#msg101025). I don't know if the firebricks are hot or not. A talent like that doesn't come around very often.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 02:08:52 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline cosgrojo

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 02:21:27 PM »
Peter... That's very funny 

Pizzaboyo- I think you'll find most people here are quite adventurous when they have it in their mind to be creative. Take a look through the monthly challeges catalogue, some very novel, and beautiful pizzas have been created, often with ingredients and techniques that have inspired me to do more. Hard to specify any secrets, cuz I almost never do anything the same way twice. This damn website has me trying a new ingredient, mixing technique, preferment, poolish, stone, different levels of heat, hydration, bake, broil (just had an idea to make a boiled pizza skin that is then topped and baked after it was set... Kind of a bagel riff) and a thousand different other ideas.

I await your additions sir, please inspire me to try some other foolish thing!

Thanks for posting.

Josh

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
If I posted my "secrets", they would no longer be secret! >:D
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
According to Reply 142 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11578.msg107497/topicseen.html#msg107497, Norma apparently uses spit in her dough and preferments. Norma is also very talented in that she can spit a dough ball into two pieces (first paragraph in Reply 18 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10703.msg95354/topicseen.html#msg95354) and she is so tough that she can even spit firebricks (Reply 30 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11085.msg101025/topicseen.html#msg101025). I don't know if the firebricks are hot or not. A talent like that doesn't come around very often.

Peter

Peter,

Lol, I didnít remember I misspelled spit in the Matzo cracker style thread and spit on helping me breaking the firebricks thread, but I do remember about the spit in the starter thread.  :-D How gross that I used spit so many times.  :o I also need to proof-read what I post closer.  I am always up for trying something new.  All I have to say to Pizzaboyo is the sky is the limit in testing anything having to do with pizza dough or building a pizza oven or whatever.   :angel:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 05:52:35 PM »
Hi folks, I love trying out new ingredients in my recipes and always looking for new ideas. Of late I've been adding a splash of sherry vinegar to my sauce that gives it a kind of sweet n sour taste, I've also tried star anise and cinnamon sticks.Guinness used instead of water in my dough (I'm Irish what can I say  :-D) Anyone want to share their secret ingredients??

Pizza Oyo,

Try what ever ingredient you like.  Sherry vinegar in your sauce could give your sauce a kind of sweet n sour taste.  I appreciate you sharing all what secret ingredients you have tried.  You sound like a lot of fun!  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »
Thanks folks, I'll try anything bar the spit  :-\
An Irishman is never drunk as long as he can hold onto one blade of grass and not fall off the face of the earth.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 07:47:28 AM »
Norma is also very talented in that she can spit a dough ball into two pieces ... A talent like that doesn't come around very often.

I'm going to have to ask her to demonstrate this tonight...

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 10:34:51 PM »
Irish in my blood as well.Try some whiskey in the dough?
  ;D
-Bill

Offline Pizzaboyo

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 09:04:13 AM »
Irish in my blood as well.Try some whiskey in the dough?
  ;D
Was thinking of sauteeing my onion n garlic in a drop of whiskey someday  :D