Author Topic: Il pizzaiolo pittsburgh  (Read 1376 times)

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Il pizzaiolo pittsburgh
« on: January 08, 2012, 11:04:32 AM »
 on my way to ny for the pizza enthusiasts tour i stoped at il pizzaiolo in mt. Lebanon pa. il pizzaiolo is a full service restaurant specializing in neapolitan pizza, and a full menu focusing on the foods of the compania region of Italy .
  it was 8:30 pm and the restaurant was winding down for the evening there were only three or four tables still eating.being a nosy person i went up to the pizziaolo and asked lots of questions. first was how was pizza sales tonight?" not as good as the last few days, to bad because i got some good stuff tonight". i was excited by his comment. i ordered a misto salad and a margherita doc.which has mozzarela di bufala.the salad was very good light dressing of evoo and balsamic didn't over power the cheese or greens.after i finished the pizza maker went to work on my pie.didn't time it but since he knew i was a wood fired fan the oven was bright with a big beautiful flame. he cooked the pizza off of the floor quite a bit. the move good pizza cooks use of picking the pie up setting on on the floor quick turn and back up. repeating this until they are happy with the bake. my pie came to me with a nice, puffed edge, lots of basil and cheese. the pizza was outstanding! what i was looking for was crust tenderness. and flavor balance. these are areas i feel my pizza is inconstant in. the dough had a nice salt to it probably 3%, what i noticed was the tomatoes were salted at close to the same level which gave the pizza a nice balanced taste.the dry cheese seemed to be reggiano as it was quite mild, the olive oil was outstanding ,i need to find out what he uses. i was full with two cuts left which i would have to eat cold to see if the dough held its tenderness. i was able to eat the last two cuts later that evening and they were still tender .
 i know there are a lot of reviews on this joint and this was a very positive visit. being that it is only 2.5 hours from my home i need to get their more often. pictures included.

Offline Matthew

Re: Il pizzaiolo pittsburgh
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 11:23:11 AM »
Larry, I could be wrong but I believe that Ron Molinaro (the owner) was the one who brought Roberto to the US & trained him as a pizzaiolo.

Matt

Offline Ev

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
Looks like a good pizza to me.

Larry, or anyone else,
 Are there more notable pizza restaurants in Pittsburgh?
My son and daughter in law both work for Amtrak and could get me there for free if I wanted another all day pizza excursion.
(and who wouldn't, right?)

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »
Thanks for the writeup Larry.

Is the oven venting hidden in the picture, or do they use one of the water scrubbers that eliminates the need for venting the oven?

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:19:27 PM »
on my way to ny for the pizza enthusiasts tour i stoped at il pizzaiolo in mt. Lebanon pa. il pizzaiolo is a full service restaurant specializing in neapolitan pizza, and a full menu focusing on the foods of the compania region of Italy .
  it was 8:30 pm and the restaurant was winding down for the evening there were only three or four tables still eating.being a nosy person i went up to the pizziaolo and asked lots of questions. first was how was pizza sales tonight?" not as good as the last few days, to bad because i got some good stuff tonight". i was excited by his comment. i ordered a misto salad and a margherita doc.which has mozzarela di bufala.the salad was very good light dressing of evoo and balsamic didn't over power the cheese or greens.after i finished the pizza maker went to work on my pie.didn't time it but since he knew i was a wood fired fan the oven was bright with a big beautiful flame. he cooked the pizza off of the floor quite a bit. the move good pizza cooks use of picking the pie up setting on on the floor quick turn and back up. repeating this until they are happy with the bake. my pie came to me with a nice, puffed edge, lots of basil and cheese. the pizza was outstanding! what i was looking for was crust tenderness. and flavor balance. these are areas i feel my pizza is inconstant in. the dough had a nice salt to it probably 3%, what i noticed was the tomatoes were salted at close to the same level which gave the pizza a nice balanced taste.the dry cheese seemed to be reggiano as it was quite mild, the olive oil was outstanding ,i need to find out what he uses. i was full with two cuts left which i would have to eat cold to see if the dough held its tenderness. i was able to eat the last two cuts later that evening and they were still tender .
 i know there are a lot of reviews on this joint and this was a very positive visit. being that it is only 2.5 hours from my home i need to get their more often. pictures included.

i sat 3 tables to your left, right across from where they cut the pies. dough was overproofed and not as cooked as it could have been when i went.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »
Steve, this is the only pizzeria i am familiar with.
Craig not sure of that will look at other pictures to see if the venting is visible
i sat 3 tables to your left, right across from where they cut the pies. dough was overproofed and not as cooked as it could have been when i went.
i can tell you the night i was there the pizza was very good.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 03:37:39 PM by thezaman »

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 05:19:36 AM »
At the original location the flue is hidden, a wanted featured.

Also, Ron has recently opened his second location downtown Pittsburgh. some more info and pictures here: http://www.pgplate.com/openings/281-il-pizzaiolo-in-market-square-will-open-this-week

The Forno Napoletano oven feature a Vietri hand painted tiles "paladiana" mosaic.

Offline dineomite

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »
Zaman,

Are you the guy I talked to at the Rienhart class in Hudson a few years ago?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 11:02:36 AM »
NICE!   Congrats to you and Ron for another beautiful oven.   I cant wait to go check out the new location....    I had the fortune of meeting ron for lunch at Don Antonio in NYC a few months ago and he told me that this restaurant was going to be the culmination of everything he has learned in the past 20 years of owning his first location.   That man has abundant knowledge and makes one damn fine pizza.  I know this is going to be a very successful venture now that he is finally in a location that will do his quality of food justice!!