Author Topic: Latest Giordano's-style Experiment  (Read 4852 times)

Offline buzz

Latest Giordano's-style Experiment
« on: August 09, 2005, 11:24:34 AM »
I tried a  more oil-rich recipe:

2 cups KA AP
1 heaping TSP yeast
.50 cup, plus 2 TBS water
1 TSP sugar
.50 TSP sea salt
6 TBS oil (5 canola, 1 extra light olive oil)

Kneaded by hand for one minute, then let rise for 8 hours at room temperature. Then streched it out by hand this time, folded it in quarters. let the dough rest, then repeated folding. let it rest again, then pressed it by hand into 9.5" pan. Added .50 pound Sorrento mozzarella, and 6-in-1-based sauce. Cooked for 40 minutes in preheated 450 degree oven.

The result was very much like Giordano's, so I think that this much oil (6 TBS) is the trick. However, it was almost too biscuit-like, so next time I will knead the dough for two minutes to develop a little more gluten. I would recommned this to anyone who wants to try this version!

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Latest Giordano's-style Experiment
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 12:04:18 PM »
Buzz

What kind of yeast did you use, active dry or instant (rapid rise)??? And did you proof the yeast in water?

Tony

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 12:16:40 PM »
I use Hodgson's Mill dry yeast, which I proof in the water with a little sugar.

Offline TONY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 12:29:40 PM »
Thanks buzz

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 06:50:58 PM »
This looks like a good one to try.

BTW buzz, I think I now am getting an idea of the 'crisco' flavor you mention. This last weekend, I used the zero trans-fat crisco in my dough again and I picked up a distinct 'plastic-like' taste that I have tasted before and dont like at all. There is nothing else in my recipe that could add this so Im guessing that it must be the crisco.

Do you have a description of the flavor you get when using the shortening?

-Allan

Offline buzz

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 09:44:53 AM »
About the Crisco taste--

it definitely tastes artifical--very distinct.--I can understand you calling it "plastic-like", althoughI can't think of a proper adjective to convey the taste.  It doesn't seem to happen in pies, so it must be the addition of the yeast.

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 12:01:03 AM »
buzz, I like that variation. The result was delicious. The crisco flavor was totally absent so like you, Ill be leaving that out from now on.

Here are the results...

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 12:01:50 AM »
And a closer shot of the crust.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 07:32:18 AM »
Great looking pizza.  Is your recipe getiing close to DKM's?
Not sure which recipe you used.

Randy

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 09:02:02 AM »
Looks like you nailed it!

Offline buzz

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 10:04:27 AM »
Burn8--

Nice job--looks excellent! Did you use the 6 TBS oil and 2 minutes kneading time?

Offline pam

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2005, 01:44:21 PM »
About the Crisco taste--

it definitely tastes artifical--very distinct.--I can understand you calling it "plastic-like", althoughI can't think of a proper adjective to convey the taste.  It doesn't seem to happen in pies, so it must be the addition of the yeast.
Buzz,

Just curious whether you've tried making your chicago style crust with lard instead of crisco or oil? (I know, I know, lard's supposed to be bad for you, but, as my dad always says, "You eat right, you exercise, you take care of yourself: you're still gonna die." ;D)
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.

Offline buzz

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2005, 03:09:23 PM »
No, I haven't tried lard--I'm not sure how that would taste (lol)! have you tried making pizza with lard?

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2005, 04:02:57 PM »
Did you use the 6 TBS oil and 2 minutes kneading time?

Effectively yes. I used 9 TBS total but I also upped the other ingredients by 50%.

Is your recipe getiing close to DKM's?
Not sure which recipe you used.

I used buzz's Giordano's recipe with the upped oil content. I have not yet tried DKM's recipe. I think I will do his this weekend.

-Allan

Offline pam

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2005, 01:27:54 PM »
No, I haven't tried lard--I'm not sure how that would taste (lol)! have you tried making pizza with lard?
YES! It makes a much lighter, more tender crust than one made with crisco or oil, and no oily/greasy texture or "off" taste.

You really should give it a try ( and cholesterol be damned! :) ) Just stay away from the low quality stuff that most grocery stores sell, which is mostly made from fat trimmings left over from pork processing. (If it's kept in the bakers aisle at the store instead of the refrigerated section, it's made from at trimmings.) What you want is rendered leaf lard, which is made from the fat around the kidneys. (It's the stuff high-end bakers use for pie crusts, buscuits, and pastries.)

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2005, 03:07:42 PM »
Here is a lard recipe from Emeril. He uses this with a Chicago pie:

1 package of active yeast
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
1/4 cup lard
3 to 4 cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
Olive oil

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_8205,00.html

-Allan

Offline pam

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2005, 04:57:46 PM »
Emeril, schmemeril. ;D Just substitute 3 Tbs frozen leaf lard for the crisco and 1-1/2 Tbs frozen butter for the canola and OO in Buzz's crisco recipe.

Also, instead of working the lard/butter into the flour by hand, I use a food processor fitted with a metal blade using 2-3 second pulses until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, then dump contents into mixing bowl, sprinkle in IDY, add the water, mix until the ingredients are just combined, knead it on lightly floured bench for ~ 1 min, dust with flour, slip dough into a large ziploc bag, and pop in fridge for min. 24 hours.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 12:01:00 AM »
YES! It makes a much lighter, more tender crust than one made with crisco or oil, and no oily/greasy texture or "off" taste.

You really should give it a try ( and cholesterol be damned! :) ) Just stay away from the low quality stuff that most grocery stores sell, which is mostly made from fat trimmings left over from pork processing. (If it's kept in the bakers aisle at the store instead of the refrigerated section, it's made from at trimmings.) What you want is rendered leaf lard, which is made from the fat around the kidneys. (It's the stuff high-end bakers use for pie crusts, buscuits, and pastries.)

I agree! :) ::)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline itsinthesauce

• This is a sickness.
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2005, 04:01:01 PM »
Pam, I like your style

Offline franky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 09:17:02 AM »
Does anyone have the video, I have not had Giordano's in 3 years since i moved. And the video would really help. Thanks

pizzapan