Author Topic: Stone Temperature After Consecutive Uses  (Read 701 times)

Offline CandideWolf

Stone Temperature After Consecutive Uses
« on: January 10, 2012, 12:02:11 AM »
Hi all,
I lurked and now I have a question to ask this group. I have an Emile Henry pizza stone (the rectangular one) and have a question regarding its temperature. If I were to put a pizza onto the stone and take it off while keeping the stone in the oven, would the stone still be as hot for another pizza I put in right after? The stone is on the bottom rack of the oven that is set to 555*
Thanks for any help or comments. 

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Stone Temperature After Consecutive Uses
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »
.....  If I were to put a pizza onto the stone and take it off while keeping the stone in the oven, would the stone still be as hot for another pizza I put in right after? .....

The ending temperature of the stone is dependant on how much heat it has stored, and how much heat it gave up.  How thick is the pizza you are cooking?  How thick is the stone?  How long to you leave the door open?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online scott123

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:34:00 AM »
Brad, the ability to bake pizzas back to back depends entirely on the material and thickness of the stone.  The thicker the stone, the greater thermal mass, the more heat it can store.

The Emile Henry stone, unfortunately, is inferior in a few ways, one of which is thermal mass- at around 1/2", it has very little. If, say, your first pizza bakes in 8 minutes, then it might draw enough heat from the stone to result in a 12-15 minute bake on the second pie. Some styles can handle longer bakes, but not NY.  A NY style pizza that's good at 8 minutes will be really crappy at 12-15.

Thin stones give off most of their stored heat during the bake.  The only option is to pre-heat the stone again- you won't need the full initial pre-heat time, but you will need some time between pizzas.

Or, you can get a decent pizza stone.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:07:12 AM by scott123 »

Offline CandideWolf

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »
Alright, that's what I suspected. How much time would be needed for it to reheat (I am thermometerless)? 20-30 minutes? More or less?

pizzapan