Author Topic: Supremo Italiano San Marzano D.O.P  (Read 2869 times)

Offline capamando

Supremo Italiano San Marzano D.O.P
« on: January 09, 2012, 07:47:54 PM »
Hello,

Today I was surprised to find Supremo Italiano San Marzano D.O.P at my local Restaurant Depot (5 lbs/10 oz.) for $6.41.  I already use the Supremo Italiano "00" flour so I am happy to see their D.O.P tomatoes.  Has anyone tried these tomatoes? How do they compare to others?

Thanks

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Supremo Italiano San Marzano D.O.P
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »
sure have! but not 100% sold on these for the price. I like the Alta Cuccina (which they sell there) or Ciao much better. For like 5$ buck5 but a can of everything whole plum (5-6 good ones available at RD) as Paulie Gee did. Label maybe the bottom so you cant see it or have the wife keep track and you do the same for her .Just so  you cant see type  mix em up and pick the one yo like best then see which one with out the stigma of price or DOP Its about what taste best to you and want to present to your customers. I tried Many many tomatoes, still trying ! Use now alta and ciao
I will save you next  post,  yes the Supremo Italiano Olive oil is fine for using as well price is great!  ;)
John
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:56:06 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline capamando

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 10:09:04 PM »
John,

Yes, I use the supremo o.o and love it!

Thanks

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
When you go back to Accardi and Sons you should try their house brand, La Regina which is really good. The Italian peeled and the Hand picked are their best imo. Their DOP is kind of watery and sort of expensive. The Italian peeled have a nice thick puree and they aren't that expensive. Every can I opened had all or almost all the plums intact.

http://accardifoods.com/documents/4TomatoesandTomatoSauce.pdf

Offline capamando

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:33:19 AM »
Thanks BrickStoneOven.... I will certainly give a try at some point.

Offline sum1else

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 02:18:50 PM »
I have been using these tomatoes. They are good for the price, IMHO. They are not as sweet as the brands of DOP that I buy elsewhere. I find that there is a higher chance of a less-than-ripe tomato in Supremo Italiano cans. But, I will keep using them because of the price