Author Topic: Brooklyn Style Sicilian Sauce info ... cooked or uncooked???  (Read 606 times)

Offline Yankee Bill

• I Love Pizza!
Hi folks,

I'm just getting started on my pizza making venture, so please forgive me if this stuff is common knowledge. I've got a Blue Steel Pan and a Scale en-route and am wanting to try a Brooklyn Style Sicilian pie (similar to L & B Spumoni Gardens) for my Maiden Voyage when they arrive.

I've narrowed down a dough recipe that I'll start out trying. But I'm having a bit of a problem figuring out a sauce recipe. Whenever I search the site it seems I always get a ton of info on the dough recipes (and understandably so), however, not so much in the way of sauce recipes for this type of pie.

From what I can gather most seem to use only tomato's, salt and oregano, and / or EVOO. I've seen where a few people say they give their sauce a quick cook etc., but not any specifics on amounts and such.

I'm sure there's probably plenty of info on the subject somewhere here that I can't find due to my lack of computer skills. Anyway, if anyone has any info or recipes on these style sauces that they'd care to share it would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW, I have a few cans of Cento Certified Whole Peeled SM's on hand that I was going to use (but not opposed to trying another brand). Also, the pan I have ordered is a Paderno World Cuisine Blue Steel 19 5/8 X 13 3/4. And the dough recipe I'm going to try has a TF = 0.16.

Appreciate any help you may have to offer.

Thanks,
YB

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 03:23:20 PM by Yankee Bill »

Offline jeffereynelson

Re: Brooklyn Style Sicilian Sauce info ... cooked or uncooked???
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:22:59 PM »
Most people here don't try to make elaborate sauces for their pizzas like you might see with a spaghetti sauce. It's more about just the tomatoes. Just try those centos you have, crush them up, add a little salt to your liking and you should be good.

The beauty about pizza is that the results are in the skill, not necessarily in the ingredients. I think almost any pizza place will tell you their recipe. Flour/water/salt/yeast/maybe sugar and oil. There is no secret there.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 05:29:43 PM »
If you can find (and they are pretty widely available) the Cento Italian in the 35oz can, they are typically better than the certified and half the price. That's what I use for 90% of my pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Yankee Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:24:03 PM »
Thanks Guys.
YB

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 12:36:05 AM »
Craig, I've heard you mention these 35 oz Cento cans. Where do you get yours?  I've only seen the 28 oz ones of crushed. Is there a difference?

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
Dr. Matt -
Craig will certainly reply.  In case you need another source:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cento-Peeled-Tomatoes-35-oz-Pack-of-12/17181121
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »
Craig, I've heard you mention these 35 oz Cento cans. Where do you get yours?  I've only seen the 28 oz ones of crushed. Is there a difference?

Yes. Big difference.

Most of the grocery stores around here carry the Cento Italian Whole Peeled in the 35oz can.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:44:49 PM »
Yes. Big difference.

Most of the grocery stores around here carry the Cento Italian Whole Peeled in the 35oz can.

Whole peeled?  Do you then put them in a blender or use boat motor hand blender?

Thanks Don. I was buying the crushed. I thought they were pretty good.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:48:51 PM by drmatt357 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:05 AM »
I usually run them through a food mill with the coarse plate. A boat motor works fine too if you are careful and don't whip air into them.

I'm not a fan of crushed on NP. I can't get past the bits of skin.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 01:31:43 AM »
Thanks Don. I was buying the crushed. I thought they were pretty good.

Me too - but the cost per can @ WalMart even with shipping - is identical to what I'm paying here for the 28 oz. All Purpose Ground. 
Have stick-blender - will prepare!

(in my case) how can you beat $4.00 for shipping? - it's literally cheaper than driving to a store that 'may' have them!  :)

What stick did you end up getting, DrMatt?

Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:21:41 PM »
That is a great price and free shipping over a certain amount. I ended up ordering the Cuisinart stick. I looked at your recommendation of the Bamix and it looked really nice but there were no prices listed so I figured it was one of those, "If you have to ask..." 

Thanks again for the help Don.

Offline Yankee Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »
If you can find (and they are pretty widely available) the Cento Italian in the 35oz can, they are typically better than the certified and half the price. That's what I use for 90% of my pizza.

Hi Craig,

I checked several local stores for the 35 oz. Cento Italian Whole Peeled today, and on average they were only .80 - $1.00 cheaper than the Cento 28 oz. Certified SM's, which still isn't bad. I picked up a couple of cans of their crushed for now to try on my first Brooklyn Style, as soon as we get a little cooler day. Tried to find Sclafani's, but evidently they're not available in my area  >:(.

Thanks,
YB 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 09:22:57 PM »
Hi Craig,

I checked several local stores for the 35 oz. Cento Italian Whole Peeled today, and on average they were only .80 - $1.00 cheaper than the Cento 28 oz. Certified SM's, which still isn't bad. I picked up a couple of cans of their crushed for now to try on my first Brooklyn Style, as soon as we get a little cooler day. Tried to find Sclafani's, but evidently they're not available in my area  >:(.

Thanks,
YB

$1 less for 25% more.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Yankee Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 01:48:21 AM »
$1 less for 25% more.

Yeah, that's a good deal! Wouldn't have thought they'd be better than the SM's so that's some good info right there, thanks for sharing.

Thanks,
YB

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 06:36:00 PM »
Unfortunately, my WalMart only has these, 28 oz. aside from the size, are they the same as the 35 oz. one Craig uses?

Never mind, I think YB answered this.

Is the 35oz can whole peeled "SM" tomatoes or just Whole Peeled Tomatoes?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:45:05 PM by drmatt357 »

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »
... or this one

Offline Yankee Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 12:12:06 AM »
... or this one

Matt, I'm pretty sure these http://www.cento.com/centobrand/productpage/1_Tomatoes/importeditalian35oz.html are the ones Craig was referring to. They are not SM's, however, I believe sometimes on the label (inside the Italian Flag colors) they may say "a product of San Marzano Italy", but they are the Italian whole peeled, and also not the Italian "Style". You may want to try your local chain Supermarkets, that's where I usually find them here in my area of VA.

As a side note, I just found out our local Costco carries the 28 oz. Cento Certified SM's for $3.00 a can (before taxes), they come in a 3 pack for $8.99.

Hope this might be of some help.

YB
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:35:03 AM by Yankee Bill »

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
YB

I haven't had the 35oz Cento tomatoes, but for NY style I'm not sure you need to spend that much on tomatoes in the first place. Neapolitan, sure.

Recently, I've had good luck with Great Value Crushed tomatoes with a "5TP..."  stamp on the bottom. Same with Kroger brand. The 5TP... stamp is very important, so if you don't see that I wouldn't bother.  I generally only make NY style, and use them uncooked with a very small pinch of oregano. They're only $1.30 per 28oz can in my area.
Josh

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »
YB

I haven't had the 35oz Cento tomatoes, but for NY style I'm not sure you need to spend that much on tomatoes in the first place. Neapolitan, sure.

Recently, I've had good luck with Great Value Crushed tomatoes with a "5TP..."  stamp on the bottom. Same with Kroger brand. The 5TP... stamp is very important, so if you don't see that I wouldn't bother.  I generally only make NY style, and use them uncooked with a very small pinch of oregano. They're only $1.30 per 28oz can in my area.
^^^    yep.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Yankee Bill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 07:27:17 AM »
YB

Thanks JD, That's some good info. Appreciate it.
YB