Author Topic: Cooks Illustrated Sicilian - "Best Sicilian Pizza"  (Read 1314 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Cooks Illustrated Sicilian - "Best Sicilian Pizza"
« on: February 02, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
I have not received the paper issue yet, but the March/April issue contains a recipe for Sicilian pizza.  Highlights / their opinions include:

- slightly more than 1/2 the flour is semolina
- olive oil in the dough
- 24 -48 hour cold ferment
-
- the dough is flattened out with a rolling pin and then put in the baking pan.  They stressed the importance of small, evenly dispersed air bubbles.  They even weight down the dough during the final proof by resting a second pan on top of the dough.  They like a "cakey" , as opposed to chewy, texture.

I may get around to trying this but thought I would share these views.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:51:21 PM by mitchjg »
Mitch

Online thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Cooks Illustrated Sicilian - "Best Sicilian Pizza"
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 06:49:54 PM »
mitch seems like cheating weighing the dough down with a pan so it doesn't over rise. the sauce looks interesting using anchovies for some umami.another recipe for Sicilian pizza that was developed by the owner of best pizza for one of the cooking magazines also recommends anchovies.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 01:20:59 PM »
I baked this today using sourdough starter, 48 hour fermentation @ 62F, rolled with pasta roller so there was no need to apply pressure with the a second baking sheet. Sauce was excellent. Used Caputo semolina flour and KAAP. I'm far from an expert on this style, but this was a most excellent meal.

I've been a subscriber to CI since the inaugural issue; they seemed to have lost their way many years ago. Recently though, I have been cooking through most of each issue and have rarely been disappointed.   

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:39:09 AM »
I found this very interesting...the tight crumb looked pretty reminiscent of L&B Spumoni Gardens. Coincidentally, I believe L&B also runs their dough through a sheeter (like the rolling pin method here) and the dough takes on the same "dense" look, as opposed to sicilian dough that is typically fragile and airy looking.