Author Topic: pizza in teglia trouble shooting  (Read 512 times)

Offline mar76

• I Love Pizza!
pizza in teglia trouble shooting
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:54:13 PM »
Hi all,

I have been lurking on this forum for a while now and have a pizza in teglia problem that has been driving me to distraction.

I am getting large voids in the bases as per the attached pics.

The doughs are 80 per cent hydration, .7 per cent IDY, 30 per cent poolish.

I have been using either straight Divella pizza flour; Divella - semola (20 per cent) ; and Divella- semola (20 pecent) - soy (10 per cent).

After mixing in a KA using double hydration till the dough windowpanes, i cold prove for 48 hours, shape  as per
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeCHO4Y3fDo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeCHO4Y3fDo</a>
and bench rest till it doubles.

What should i be looking for while it cold proves? Should the dough be a mass of bubbles?

I will post more images and vids of the process to zero in on what is going wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete
Cairns, Queensland, Australia

Offline parallei

Re: pizza in teglia trouble shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »
Pete,

For awhile I had a similar problem when baking boules. In bread making it's called a "Bakers Tunnel", or something like that.  I posted questions about it on The Fresh Loaf forum and received comments that the bread was under proofed, over proofed and just about anything else that could be wrong.  I finally determined that being more aggressive when doing the final forming helped to expel what was a bit to much gas.

Another possible cause I read about was inadequate gluten development.  That made some sense as the structure might not be able to hold together allowing a large gas pocket form.

When I do a higher hydration dough for an al teglia I always do stretch and folds instead of using the mixer.  You might want to try that.  I've never used an un-malted flour like 00.  Instead I (and many others) use a bread flour (malted) that is stronger than a 00.  Additionally, 0.7% IDY and 30% polish seems a bit much.  I think Gabriele Bonci recommends 0.4% IDY with an overnight in the refrigerator.

If you look at this tread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9989.1020 there is a lot on Bonci's methods.  You might want to give his method a try.  Also there are a number of videos if you google Gabriele Bonci .  His book is pretty fun too, though there is not much new on the doughs that wasn't discussed in the thread I linked to above.

Have fun!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »
I agree with Paul's comments. I use the mixer to bring it together and get it homogeneous, but I do sets of stretch-and-folds with rests in between to build gluten. Saucing before baking will probably also help hold down large bubbles and prevent them from tearing up the structure.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Divani

• Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »
Pete, when you stretch the dough do you "poke" it with the tips of your fingers, like this guy does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfVQpEPeGfI

I would also reduce the time the dough fermentis in the tray, if you do it that way.

Regards,
Alfredo

Offline mar76

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:01:16 AM »
I'll try cutting the yeast and a couple of different flour blends.

When I form the dough I dimple it, although I think I could be a bit more aggressive.

Thanks for the tips, will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Pete.

Offline mar76

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 08:59:01 PM »
I finally had some encouraging results thanks to the good advice found on these boards and some new flour.
I used Caputo Rinforzata and dropped the yeast to .4 per cent, cold proved for 24 hours.
Thanks for the help guys. Next effort is to tweak a blend with Semola and soy.

Offline giulio.fabris

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 01:20:07 AM »
Well done.

Offline parallei

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:32:28 PM »
Pete,

That is quite an improvement from your first photo to this most recent.  Nice work!