Author Topic: Question: Any Low Sodium Recipes?  (Read 1317 times)

Offline ZELIX

• I Love Pizza!
Question: Any Low Sodium Recipes?
« on: August 10, 2005, 08:46:40 AM »
I am pre hypertension.... I'm looking for low sodium recipes. Anyone can point me in the right direction?
I've noticed that all dough recipes have salt in the ingredents. Is it ok to leave out the salt?

Offline Pizzaholic

Re: Question: Any Low Sodium Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 09:11:43 AM »
Leave the salt, it works to inhibit the yeast. Besides it really isn't that much
if you think about it.
You will be amazed at the difference in homemade pizzas by making your own sauce(where most of the salt is), controlling the amount of cheese(where most of the salt is), , and type, that you put on.
The meats, or other toppings you can control what goes on and how much salt they contain.
I have found by experience the best way to reduce your blood pressure
is to exercise, loose some pounds, PORTION CONTROL, and think a bit before you eat.
hope this helps
Pizzaholic

piroshok

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 06:41:18 PM »
I was diagnosed with hypertension some four years ago
I cut down my salt intake though I have also found that much of the sodium in produced by two kinds of protein in the body. Outside sodium sources do not help of course especially if combined with fats.
I cut down in salt but not exclude from recipes in pizzas salt is present almost everywhere so eating less and excercise more is the answer.
My blood pressure systolic and diastolic levels remain stable at 129-140 /73/80 occasionally may go up or down but excercise or even strolls as Latin people do is the key to good health.
Pizzas like everything else should be consumed in moderation in my opinion has few factors againts
Charring is not good for the digestive system and may contribute to bowel cancer
Fats high cholesterol levels
Excessive sodium to hypertension(kidney failure or heart attacks)
See why excercise is needed here?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 07:23:57 PM by piroshok »

Offline mikedutcher

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 02:00:12 AM »
:)
Hello......... I suffer from hypertension as well.

I have just recently once again started to make pizza after about one year of not working on my recipe and technique.

I had forgotten my primary pizza crust recipe so I just jumped into it again, and added the ingredients as best as I could remember.

The first pizzas were marginal, but they got much better quickly.

The one item that I forgot to provide was interestingly,  salt!!   I was amazed to find that the result was very good crust, and without  the salt.

Salt is added to retard the yeast.     Why would you want to retard the yeast?  The result is a full bodied crust.    It can be made as thin or thick as you like by the manner in which it is rolled out, as well as how much flour you use for the initial  crust.  My recipe called only for two teaspoons of salt.... not alot, but if you can eliminated it, so much the better.

Also,   you can cut the salt by using a canned tomato sauce that doesn't include the salt in the sauce.   That will cut the salt content a good bit.

Try it without the salt.  You may be pleasantly surprised, as I was.

Good luck.

Offline Leojlebrut

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 12:16:25 AM »
I cut down on the salt in the dough for the same reason and haven't seen the crust turn out badly (but I'm in the early days of following Verasano). Here are other things I do: 1) As suggested, so with low salt tomato sauce (of course, make your own), 2) use lower salt cheeses and this includes fresh mozz, some goat cheeses and things like swiss, ementhaler, 3) make your own meats (for example I make a sausage by browning ground turkey with the requisite spices (sans the salt). Of course, there's no magic here beyond reading the labels, looking for alternatives and exercising some restraint in making and eating.

pizzapan