Author Topic: Swiss Cheese Blend  (Read 1680 times)

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
Swiss Cheese Blend
« on: January 13, 2012, 07:55:10 PM »
Was wondering if any of you have tried a Mozzarella / Swiss cheese blend on your pizza's ?

I'm going to try one this weekend and was wondering what cheese ratio works and tastes good ? - Thanks

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Swiss Cheese Blend
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 09:21:27 PM »
Was wondering if any of you have tried a Mozzarella / Swiss cheese blend on your pizza's ?

I'm going to try one this weekend and was wondering what cheese ratio works and tastes good ? - Thanks

Zeke,

I did try Swiss cheese with a combination of mozzarellas at Reply 23 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16823.msg164269.html#msg164269  and the following pictures, from the advise of dmcavanah (Dave).  My taste testers and I thought the pizza was good.  I didnít measure the amount of the Swiss blend to mozzarella, but think I used almost a half of lb. of Swiss cheese combined with a little blend of two mozzarellas.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bill 001

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 11:45:13 AM »

I'm a little late to the fair, but yes I do.  I am using about 3 oz. of fresh Mozzarella, and I use about 4 oz. of Swiss that I have chopped fairly fine in a food processor. 13" pizza.   I use Gruyere,  Emmentaler, or just plain old Swiss (Walmart GV).  I would prefer the first two, but $15 to $17 per pound vs. $4 for the plain old Swiss is a consideration.  My Mozzarella is Bel Gioioso.  Sams has it for $8.25 for 2 pounds.

I have some provolone in the fridge (someone here highly recommended it) but I haven't tried it yet.

Bill

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 11:57:13 AM »
I have tried Swiss before. It's not only its unique flavor that you add, but Swiss is the king of stretch. It does help with the stretch/stringiness of the cheese, if that's what you're looking for..
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline mykall

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 09:59:31 PM »
Interesting because Swiss was never on my horizon for a mix.  Just recently I have used both Hvarti and on another pie Monterey Jack.  I've been thinking about other combos but would never have put Swiss on a short list.  I'll have to give this a try.    I'm convinced that some of the tastiest pies I've eaten were because of some secret mix of cheese as opposed to straight Mozzi.