Author Topic: Wife put cookies on pizza stone to cool now stone is smoke bomb  (Read 4055 times)

Offline FeCheF

Wife put cookies on pizza stone to cool now stone is smoke bomb
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:30:55 PM »
So my wife made alot of cookies this year for xmas and ran out of racks to let them cool.She used my pizza stone and now theres alot of grease absorbed in.I tried to use it last week and once it reached over 450F it started to smoke like crazy.At first i thought it would cook off and clear up but after 15 minutes of getting worse, and a house full of smoke i had no choice but to put on my gloves and run it out of the house. Its so cold out im surprised the thing didnt crack.

The question is, How am I going to get this thing clean? I tried warm/hot water but after letting it dry, i can see there is still alot of grease soaked in. I think im going to need something to disolve the grease but what can i use that wont kill us, or make the pizza taste bad.

This is a $60 1 inch thick corderite stone.

Online barryvabeach

Re: Wife put cookies on pizza stone to cool now stone is smoke bomb
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:51:01 PM »
Other than scraping, which I assume won't help, the only thing I can think of is to burn it off, since you say the grease is in the pores of the stone.  Do you have a grill that you can use so the smoke won't fill the house?

Offline bondoman

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 09:38:51 PM »
I would literally soak the top of it in Dawn dish soap for a couple hours and then scrub it with a brush, hard, rinse, repeat.  Then do what Barry said if you can. If not I clean my pizza stone in the oven, when I clean my oven.  Turn you're oven to clean and leave the stone in there. Mine comes out looking brand new!
Good luck
Mike

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 02:12:10 PM »
Well, I just cooked it for 2 hours at 500F. It is still producing smoke, stinking up the house, and eventually making my eyes burn.Im so fustrated with this.Will this grease ever burn off or is this an everlasting smoke bomb? I think im going to just try and wash it with dish soap and keep rinsing like bondoman said. I just cant keep smoking my whole house up trying to burn off the grease. With how much smoke pours out of the oven when it reaches 500F I cant even imagine trying to use the clean cycle at temps over 800F. OMG neighbors would prolly call the fire department.

Online barryvabeach

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
Unless you have found a perpetual source of energy, or a fuel that will get a million miles to the gallon,  it  will eventually burn out.   Mike's suggestion was to soak it in water, with some soap, on the theory that the soap would cut the grease, and cause it to release from the pores.  Did you see a scum of grease in the sink after a long soak - if so you can keep repeating until you no longer get scum coming off it.  I don't think that simply washing it will be as effective, you really want it to be completely submerged in the detergent water mix.  Putting it in  the self clean cycle may be problematic since the door may stay locked shut for hours - and if the smoke is driving you out now it could be unbearable with no way to stop it.    Keep at it, you will get it clean eventually.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 10:45:51 PM »
You might put a baking sheet under it and let it get hot on your grill until it stops smoking.

If you do wash it, heat it very slowly and for a long time before you get it too hot. You need it completely dry before you take it up to operating temp.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 12:28:14 PM »
I finally got it clean. I ended up taking it to a family members house that has a outdoor grill.(i live in a apartment) It took about an hour at 700F+ to finally burn all the grease off. Its now cleaner then ever. It was funny because there neighbor has a smoker and was smoking some deer jerky and there was more smoking comming off the grill then the neighbors smoker.(His smell better though)

Anyway, My wife knows never to put her cookies to cool on my pizza stone ever again. Im just glad i didnt have to resort to using dish soap.

Online barryvabeach

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 08:57:26 PM »
Glad you got it done.  If you get a real bad cheese spill on your stone, you may have to go back to the neighbors. 

Online Lespaul20

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 11:51:54 PM »
I've ended up with cheese and grease on my stone when using to reheat and it doesn't take long to burn off and only releases a minimal amount of smoke and odor.

I'm guessing the butter or shortening used in cookies and the fact it was probably completely covered in cookies made your problem worse than anything I've run into.

Offline FeCheF

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:27:57 AM »
I've ended up with cheese and grease on my stone when using to reheat and it doesn't take long to burn off and only releases a minimal amount of smoke and odor.

I'm guessing the butter or shortening used in cookies and the fact it was probably completely covered in cookies made your problem worse than anything I've run into.

Yeah my wife puts lots of unsalted butter in her cookies. I honestly didnt think putting the cookies on the stone to cool would cause such a big problem. I even thought it is safe to use the stone for baking cookies because i bought a pizza stone once from bed bath and beyond and they showed cookies on the stone in the picture on the damn box.

Offline bluezero2x

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 12:28:43 AM »
I would literally soak the top of it in Dawn dish soap for a couple hours and then scrub it with a brush, hard, rinse, repeat.  Then do what Barry said if you can. If not I clean my pizza stone in the oven, when I clean my oven.  Turn you're oven to clean and leave the stone in there. Mine comes out looking brand new!
Good luck
Mike

you cant be serious about this. these are the first no's-no's to stones. a good stone will tell you right on the box not to use soap, as it will absorb it and make things taste like dawn.

also, you dont want it clean every time you use it. yes you get the excess stuff off, a finished stone should be nearly black. you have to season it. if you want to know how to do that, feel free to send me a message!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 09:24:34 AM »
Go to your local home improvement store and pick up a bottle of granite cleaner. You put this stuff on to draw out grease and stains from granite, and it just might work on your stone too.
Alcohol can also be used to remove oil, but it will take quite some time to draw it all out.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Kain

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 10:34:19 AM »
My question is what kind of cookies did your wife make, lol?  Glad to see you got it clean.

Offline bluezero2x

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 01:23:59 PM »
if a stone is seasoned right, you wont have to clean it with anything but warm water...

Offline bluezero2x

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »
what temp oven do you usually use?