Author Topic: Big day  (Read 468 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Big day
« on: January 17, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »
Monday was a big day for us. My oldest got his first buck - a nice 4.5 year old 10pt. I think I was more excited than he was.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:01:42 PM by TXCraig1 »
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Re: Big day
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
If the buck had to die, at least show us how to 'gut' it. I need to know... They jump in front of my truck from time to time... :o Gonna need to cook one someday. ;D
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 09:15:08 AM »
That might be a little beyond the scope of this forum...

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 10:39:45 AM »
Go on,,,
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
If the buck had to die,

It's an bigger question that it seems, and I personally have difficulty with it too. We do our best to respect nature, and we try to do our best not to waste. I am personally well beyond the need to kill anything, but I do believe it is a skill set I need to pass to my children. I very much enjoy hunting, but it is through my children. I get invited to hunt all the time, and I always ask the same question - "can I bring my boys." If the answer is no, I almost never go.

The other issues is starvation. Where we hunt, the deer are terribly overpopulated. Combine that with the constant drought, and the food situation is desperate. We have found the caucuses of several starved deer this year as we do most every year. There is a need to thin the herd. Texas has a program called "Hunters for the Hungry" which brings hunters and those in need together, and we also work with the local land owners to find people in the local communities in need to whom we donate meat.

So did the buck need to die? I don't know, but I feel like I'm doing some good on several levels.

Craig
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:54:33 AM by TXCraig1 »