Author Topic: Let's start a thread for mobile wfo pizza road warriors  (Read 1282 times)

Offline capamando

Let's start a thread for mobile wfo pizza road warriors
« on: January 15, 2012, 10:21:44 AM »
Hello,

Let me start by saying that I do not know what I would have done without this forum. I have participated in many forums where trolls and people with some kind of personal agenda diminish the esprit de corps and eventually ruin the forum. This is not that kind of place, here we share and enjoy the success of others. So in the esprit de corps of this forum, I am wondering if there are others here who would like to start a thread that deals specifically with making pizzas in a mobile wood fired oven. I know from talking to some very generous people here that there are a number of you who venture into the outdoors under a myriads of weather conditions and provide delicious pizza to friends and the general public. I am selfishly looking to shorten my learning curve since my wife and I are waiting for our own mwfo to start our business this summer.  We are aware that nothing replaces direct experience but there is much to learn from others that could save us time and money. I hope that others feel the same and help start this thread.  I will let the membership here have the final say.

Okay, so I will start with the question of consistency. That is a loaded concept when you are doing your baking outdoors with the pressure of putting out a high quality pie in a short amount of time, however, I do believe that a foundation to work from seems essential. Something to rely on no matter what changes we have to confront. The one that pops out in my mind is a dough formula that is user friendly, one that can withstand the rigors of the outdoors and the unskilled hands of a newcomer like me.. Is there such a formula ?...maybe not but I am sure there are easier ways to do things that will help as we acquire the skills that will bring about the consistency that one needs to be able to produce a final product that we can be proud of.

Offline pizzamanmike

• pizzamanmike
Re: Let's start a thread for mobile wfo pizza road warriors
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 12:34:55 AM »
Glad to see you are allmost in your WFP operation, the dough would depend on what style pizza you will make, also on how complacated you want to get.  You still have some time to work on that, I know there are a lot of dough formula's on this board.
If you do start a thread e-mail me as I do not get to this board as much as I should

Offline capamando

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 05:48:09 AM »
Pizzamanmike,

Glad to read your words here...you are one of the those road warriors! Last year, you were one of first to educate about mwfo. It is difficult for me to pinpoint what my pies will taste and look like at this point. Need some fire and more testing/tasting....that is what friends are for! I can tell you that it will be a quality product.... We are not concerned so much with  what we call it as long as it meets our criteria and people like it....ok..if you put a gun to my head I would say that it will more like a Neapolitan than a Chicago pizza!  :D  Mike, I was hoping that this could become the thread...but it is not up to me.  There are members here like JConk007 who has shared his experiences with all of us and I just thought that it would be helpful to have a place here where this niche is discussed instead of jumping around the forum. Oh yes, I forgot... we want to abide by the K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple Stupid) approach  :-D

Offline sajata

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:08:18 AM »
may be i am missing it but a topic of WFO in general woudl be great!

Offline capamando

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
Sajata,

Sure.... good idea...mobile wfo niche can fit into it just fine..

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 11:52:58 AM »
may be i am missing it but a topic of WFO in general woudl be great!

There is an entire sub-forum here on the topic of WFO (hearth ovens):

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,51.0.html

Offline sajata

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »
yep that fall into the "i am missing something" category!  :-[

Offline capamando

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 03:34:23 PM »
 Sajata,

If you are looking for wfo (hearth ovens) that is the place to find info. I guess I am more interested in a sub sub forum where mobile wfo operators can share their experiences and help each other.

Offline Ev

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:02:32 PM »
I'm not mobile yet, but I'm working on it.

Offline capamando

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 10:17:10 AM »
Ev,

If you don't mine me asking.... what stage of becoming mobile are you at?

Offline Ev

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 02:23:13 PM »
My project is a little different than most. My partner and I intend to install a pizza kitchen in an old Airstream camper, much like http://web.me.com/wanderlustpizza/Site/Home.html. Our target venues would include more festivals and fairs rather than private parties. We have the trailer and recently completed reinforcing the frame and installing a new axle and a complete new sub-floor. Soon, we should be able to get started on the interior. Unfortunately, we don't have a nice big dry warm shop to work in, so the work has been slow. We haven't yet chosen an oven but will be looking at maybe a 36" to keep the weight down a little. We hope to be up and running sometime early this summer.

Offline capamando

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 06:49:30 AM »
Hello,

EV, that is a beauty!...all you need is to have Ricky and Lucy serving your pizzas! 

I am very happy to find a way to meet my health inspector requirement for a hand washing unit without spending around $300 for a Cambro unit. Is called the Scrub 'ngo $10.00 on Ebay...plus another $30 for a container!....  ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 08:35:06 AM »
Some operators use this unit to satisfy health dept. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-2300-Hot-Water-Portable-Water-Heater-/330673465373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfdaca81d  In the end some go around $200
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline capamando

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 08:54:36 AM »
John,

That is a nice unit.....I have bookmarked this link just in case I need one in the future.
 For my hot water I planned to use a 5 gallon Cambro container...I got one for $30 thru Craig's list.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:57:04 AM by capamando »

pizzapan