Author Topic: Lehmann dough pizzas for my great-granddaughter’s 2nd birthday party  (Read 1574 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Lehmann dough pizzas for my great-granddaughter’s 2nd birthday party
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »
Norma,

Very nice job.

Would you mind posting the Lehmann dough formulation you used? What most people do not realize is that the bulk of the people who visit the forum have just basic equipment, including standard unmodified home ovens, with which to make their pizzas. They might find what you did to be of value in helping them make better pizzas in their home ovens.

I made two batches of the Lehmann dough in the Kitchen Aid mixer.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks!  :)

This is the Lehmann dough formulation I used for a two day cold ferment for yesterday.  

I was worried about trying a different oven yesterday, but it went okay.  My granddaughter’s natural gas oven sure was standard and unmodified.  

Hopefully, the formulation, or even my daughter being a first time pizza maker will help someone.

Norma
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:04:24 PM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline grayman

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2012, 12:04:08 AM »
Norma,

I want to know when did you take the picture of the doughs in different containers?(just taking out of ther refrigerator or after fermented at room?)
I could see they have rosen more and I'd like to know the status of the dough in each stage as a newbie...

and I wonder if the yeast you use are little more?and I do not know what is your room temperature and water temperature?any opinion about your receipe?

Gray

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
Norma,

I want to know when did you take the picture of the doughs in different containers?(just taking out of ther refrigerator or after fermented at room?)
I could see they have rosen more and I'd like to know the status of the dough in each stage as a newbie...

and I wonder if the yeast you use are little more?and I do not know what is your room temperature and water temperature?any opinion about your receipe?

Gray

Gray,

The first sets of pictures were taken right after I had balled them right out of the mixer.  The final dough temperatures for the 2 batches of Lehmann doughs were 76.8 degrees F. and 74.4 degrees F.  My kitchen was cool when I was mixing the 2 batches of dough.  I have learned though making so many doughs, to somewhat know just by feeling the water, about where my final dough temperature will be when the dough is finished mixing. The dough balls then were placed in different parts of the refrigerator.  My home refrigerator gets opened and shut many times in a days time.  The dough balls on the top shelf fermented more than the dough balls on the bottom shelf.  I purposely put the dough balls in different containers to see how they would ferment in my home refrigerator.  The smaller containers were on the top shelf.  To me, they did look like they fermented a lot more, but I can’t be sure, because the dough had no where but up to go, but I believe my top shelf is warmer.

The pictures of the dough balls in single containers were taken about 4 hrs before I went to my granddaughter home.  The dough balls then were left out at room temperature in her hot kitchen for about 1 ˝ hrs or a little more.  Some of the dough balls in the smaller containers had reached the lid before they were baked into pizzas.  One even had a huge bubble on the top.  If I had to guess, the dough balls in my granddaughter’s kitchen were sitting out at about 87 degrees F or higher in temperature.  Her kitchen is somewhat small and her stove had also been on before we starting heating the oven, so it got very warm in the kitchen.  

While we were eating cake and ice cream 3 of the dough balls were put back into the refrigerator, because they looked like they were really fermenting too fast.  Then they were taken out and opened cold.  They really weren’t as cold as when I first took them to her home.  

This is one more picture I didn’t post before of the dough balls sitting in my granddaughter’s kitchen after awhile.  It can be seen on this picture a little better how the dough balls were fermenting.

I don’t know how to answer your question about the yeast.  It was IDY that I used in the formulation.

If you have any other questions, or any I didn’t answer, just ask.  

Norma

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:14:05 AM by norma427 »

Offline grayman

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »
Norma,

Thanks for your detail explanation,data and pictures,that would give me more help.
As a newbie,I want to see more,know more,ask more and try more,and all can not do without help of people,like you,in the great forum.
Since the first experiment of dough obviously fail,I even do not know when I could use the dough.Maybe the flour I use is not good(I have no idea yet),the dough after 4 days fermentation,only spread more flat and seem rose a little.So when I saw your pictures rising more,I like to ask you when you took them,and I may assume that it is abnormal of my dough.

Also if you do not mind,I think I could consult more to you next since I decide to try pizza or else in commercial like you.Oh,one think I have to say that I can't believe as a grandma of a kid also running a shop and keep on learning,that I have to express my admiration.

And Norma,I recall you mention that the market available only one day one week,when will you mix the dough and how long the dough stay in cold fermentation before you use them?and how is the batch and amount as dough you make one time?as for commercial,I like to know more or any suggestion about will be more appreciated.

Gray 

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2012, 02:10:42 PM »
Norma,

Great looking NewYorkers! You are on your game aren't you. Sounds like everyone had a great time!
Leaves the bones...ha!...you crack me up!.....she just wants the gaaraavey Great Grandma Norma!!! ;D

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 05:17:20 PM »
Wonderful Job Norma! You can make a pie anywhere!
Happy Birthday to your g-granddaughter!
 8)
-Bill

Offline Pizza3.14

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 07:46:17 PM »
Norma,

First off that is very cool that you got to teach the family how to make pizza.  They do look very good, as do all your posts. 

This was funny to me because I was just reading a thread about you trying to work with poolish to get better dough flavor, (something that I am working on as well) and saw that you said you were going to the hospital for the birth of your great granddaughter.  I looked at the dates and thought this could be two years later.  I only thought it was amazing how long you have been working on your pizzas and how personal this forum can be.  I enjoy reading all the tips and trials. 

Greg

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »
Norma,

Thanks for your detail explanation,data and pictures,that would give me more help.
As a newbie,I want to see more,know more,ask more and try more,and all can not do without help of people,like you,in the great forum.
Since the first experiment of dough obviously fail,I even do not know when I could use the dough.Maybe the flour I use is not good(I have no idea yet),the dough after 4 days fermentation,only spread more flat and seem rose a little.So when I saw your pictures rising more,I like to ask you when you took them,and I may assume that it is abnormal of my dough.

Also if you do not mind,I think I could consult more to you next since I decide to try pizza or else in commercial like you.Oh,one think I have to say that I can't believe as a grandma of a kid also running a shop and keep on learning,that I have to express my admiration.

And Norma,I recall you mention that the market available only one day one week,when will you mix the dough and how long the dough stay in cold fermentation before you use them?and how is the batch and amount as dough you make one time?as for commercial,I like to know more or any suggestion about will be more appreciated.

Gray,

When I work on a project, or just one experiment I try to post pictures so anyone can see what I have done.  If anyone has questions then, I can try to answer the best I can.  I am still always asking questions and always want to know more.  This pizza making thing is never ending.  :-D With each experiment something might go right or also might go wrong.  Each variable can or might can change something.  You just never know.  

You will learn eventually over time.  I really don’t know what kind of flour you are using. I did ask some questions when I first came to this forum, but if you want to read when I first starting making pizza it was on this thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8341.msg71952.html#msg71952  When I look back at that thread, I had all the troubles that newbie’s have now.  I kept messing everything up.  It took me quite awhile to get straightened out.  Maybe something in all my questions might help you.  I will try to answer your questions to the best of my knowledge of making pizza, but I am also limited in that I don’t know everything either.  

The dough I make for market is the preferment Lehmann dough.  The preferment (poolish) is made on a Friday, left to cold ferment until Monday, then incorporated into a final dough.  I wouldn’t recommend a preferment dough to start with.  First I would think you would need to be able to manage and understand a straight dough.  

Norma

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 11:00:13 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
Norma,

Great looking NewYorkers! You are on your game aren't you. Sounds like everyone had a great time!
Leaves the bones...ha!...you crack me up!.....she just wants the gaaraavey Great Grandma Norma!!! ;D

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for your kind words!  :)  We all did have a good time.  Pizza making is Groovy!  8)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 11:08:18 PM »
Wonderful Job Norma! You can make a pie anywhere!
Happy Birthday to your g-granddaughter!
 8)

Bill,

Thanks also for your kind words!  :)  I don’t know about making a pizza anywhere.  I think, or even know, that my granddaughter’s oven is better than my anemic home oven, after having a chance to bake in her oven.  :-D Thanks for the Happy Birthday to my great-granddaughter.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 11:22:12 PM »
Norma,

First off that is very cool that you got to teach the family how to make pizza.  They do look very good, as do all your posts. 

This was funny to me because I was just reading a thread about you trying to work with poolish to get better dough flavor, (something that I am working on as well) and saw that you said you were going to the hospital for the birth of your great granddaughter.  I looked at the dates and thought this could be two years later.  I only thought it was amazing how long you have been working on your pizzas and how personal this forum can be.  I enjoy reading all the tips and trials. 

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for saying it was “cool” that I got to teach one member of my family some about making pizza.  I appreciate your kind words.   :)

I am still working on the Preferment Lehmann dough.  Even today, I found my bakes were a little different.  I can’t always explain why things happen and I try to be as consistent as I can.

At Reply 94 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg87650.html#msg87650 I did post I was a first time great-grandmother.  Time flies by so fast!

I wish you luck with your preferment dough.  Sometimes it can be very challenging, but don’t give up!   :)

I also enjoy reading all the other members posts.  There is always something new to be learned.

Norma

Offline grayman

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 12:54:50 AM »
Haha,Norma,I just scan the thread of your first starting yesterday,and you just suggest to me. Some questions are what my questions. :D

The doughs I try never rise more as your(higher and even double time) and only spread to flat.
And I am happy I finally work out a pizza like pizza as I wrote: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17164.msg168015.html#msg168015
I do not know why...but I will try...
Thanks again!

Gray

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »

The doughs I try never rise more as your(higher and even double time) and only spread to flat.
And I am happy I finally work out a pizza like pizza as I wrote: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17164.msg168015.html#msg168015
I do not know why...but I will try...
Thanks again!

Gray

Gray,

You will learn more about yeasts, flours, managing doughs, fermentation, ovens, and everything related to making pizza over time.  Just keep doing the experiments and you will learn from them.  You recent pie does look very tasty and looks like your crumb is nice and airy.  :) Thanks for the link.

Norma

pizzapan