Author Topic: Newbie - Making Progress - But Still Need More Dough Flavor  (Read 6129 times)

Offline Killmeyer000

Re: Newbie - Making Progress - But Still Need More Dough Flavor
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 08:40:22 PM »
Bottom of Molasses Slice

Offline Killmeyer000

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »
Crumb...A little hard to see

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 09:11:48 PM »
John,

The molasses was only doing what it was supposed to do. Liquid sweeteners like molasses are more hygroscopic than table sugar and acts like a humectant to retain water in the dough. That also carries over to the finished crust and crumb, and is what keeps the finished baked good moist and with a longer shelf life. Also, molasses contains fructose, glucose and sucrose (which breaks down into more fructose and glucose) to feed the yeast. But the fructose is not assimilated as fast as the other sugars. The yeast should also have gotten sugars from the flour due to the action of amylase enzymes on the damaged starch and also enzymes in the yeast. Maybe you needed more molasses to get more fermentation than you got. But now you know what to expect when using molasses. I personally find molasses to be an interesting ingredient but it is not for all kinds of pizzas.

Peter

Offline Killmeyer000

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 10:12:21 PM »
OK...Cool...Thanks.  Yeah, maybe in a dryer dough mix it would be better suited...Not sure.  But, I'm pretty sure it's not for me...at least not for this Sicilian style pizza.  I'm glad I tried it though.  I'm pretty happy with the way the crust is coming out now...so, here's the recipe as it stands now, in case anybody wants to try it.  A little more sauce and cheese than the style usually has, but that's how I like it.  As far as sauce and cheese go, I have made no real progress...I'm going to take a stab at making my own sauce, and experiment with a mix of cheeses next time...maybe 50/50 mozz and provolone.  I tried the white cheddar/mozz mix, and was not real happy with it.

Pizza – Sicilian Style C

Pizza Dough Ingredients (12x17 blue steel, high-side pan)
Flour      100.0%         409 grams   (King Arthur bread flour)
Water   67.0%      274 grams   (refrigerated spring water)
Salt      2.0%      8 grams
Cane Sugar   4.4%      18 grams        (or 1 Tablespoon cane sugar)
IDY      0.50%      2 grams
Olive oil   1.0%      4 grams

Other ingredients
Olive Oil – Enough to brush a layer on bottom and sides of pan, and drizzle top of dough
Mozzarella – 9 to 10 Slices from deli
24 slices of pepperoni
Corn Meal
Sea Salt
Parmesan/Romano mix shredded

Sauce
9 to 10 oz. Contadina Canned Pizza Sauce or 9 to 10 oz. tangy home made sauce.

* Combine the following ingredients in a bowl or mixer in the following order:
* Water, sugar, olive oil, bread flour, salt and yeast.
* Pulse until all ingredients form into a single dough ball. Let rest for 15 minutes, and then
    knead thoroughly for 6 minutes in mixer.
* Place the dough into a rectangular polycarbonate container that has been sprayed
   with cooking spray.  Seal with the lid.  Then, put in the refrigerator for 3 days.  After about  
   1 ˝ days, turn the containers in the refrigerator, since the back will likely be colder
   than the front.
* Three hours prior to baking, brush bottoms and sides of pans with olive oil.  Sprinkle  
   bottoms of pans with corn meal and sea salt. Place the dough in the pan(s).
* Using the tips of your fingers stretch the dough to cover most of the pan. Cover the pan  
   with plastic wrap or lids to keep the moisture in and prevent the dough from “skinning.
* After about 2 to 3 hours, remove the plastic wrap or lids.  Dough should fill the pan now.
* Preheat the oven to 550° F.
* Uncover dough and drizzle the top of the dough with olive oil.  Be sure not to knock the
   dough down while topping it.
* Spread dough with about 2/3 can of Contadina sauce or home made sauce.
* Place the slices of mozzarella.
* Sprinkle dried basil on top of cheese…and Parmesan/Romano over entire pizza,
  including the crust.
* Place the pepperoni

* Bake on the middle-high rack for 4 mins, then turn pizza in oven…and another 4 mins, for a total of 8 minutes until the cheese appears to just start to brown. At this point, the crust should be crispy and browned.

Notes:
•   Blue steel pans were used from this link:
http://www.northernpizzaequipment.com/12x17blstpan.html
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:27:17 AM by Killmeyer000 »

Offline Killmeyer000

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2012, 11:11:18 AM »
Well, this pizza just gets better and better.  Switched to a 50/50 mix of Mozzarella and Provolone, and that was the taste I was looking for.  Last go-round, my wife, kids and parents-in-law called it the best pizza they ever had.  Making a couple of sheets this weekend.  Planning to make my own sauce for the first time.  Hopefully it will go well. 

I am trying a different method of cold rise.  Previously, I had been taking the dough from the mixer into lightly oiled tupperware containers, and into the fridge for 3 days.  Then, out and into pans for a few hour room temp rise.  I just thought that maybe I could skip a step.  So, this time I am trying to go from mixer straight into the lightly oiled pans, and into the fridge for the cold rise.  I'm not sure what this will do.  The pans are 12 X 17, and the tupperware is only about 6 X 10.  Not sure if the dough needs to rise upward in the tupperware...or if the rise in the pan, going more outward will have any effect?  If anyone knows, please let me know.  Thanks

Offline Killmeyer000

« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »

I am trying a different method of cold rise.  Previously, I had been taking the dough from the mixer into lightly oiled tupperware containers, and into the fridge for 3 days.  Then, out and into pans for a few hour room temp rise.  I just thought that maybe I could skip a step.  So, this time I am trying to go from mixer straight into the lightly oiled pans, and into the fridge for the cold rise.  I'm not sure what this will do.  The pans are 12 X 17, and the tupperware is only about 6 X 10.  Not sure if the dough needs to rise upward in the tupperware...or if the rise in the pan, going more outward will have any effect?  If anyone knows, please let me know.  Thanks

FYI...This doesn't work.  Pizza was glued to the pans.  Have to rise the dough in separate container.  Dough just sucks up all of the oil in pans, if trying to pan rise.  I suppose I could have lifted up the pan-risen dough and put some oil underneath after the 3-day cold rise, instead of before...but, that's not really what I was aiming for...and probabaly wouldn't be much of a time saver.