Author Topic: San Marzano Scam???  (Read 8168 times)

Offline tombiasi

Re: San Marzano Scam???
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »
This can easily become a never ending discussion, there is so much "smoke and mirrors " and hocus, pocus going on with San Marzano tomatoes that nobody really "knows" all that goes on behind the scene, and no less what is going on in another country. Judge tomatoes by the ONLY thing that is important, how they taste to you! IMO the best of our own California and New Jersey crops are every bit the equal or better than anything grown anywhere else in the world, Italy included.
Amen. In the summer I will use local Jersey, in winter, if I don't have any jarred I will just buy sauce in a can.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2013, 06:02:01 PM »
Amen. In the summer I will use local Jersey, in winter, if I don't have any jarred I will just buy sauce in a can.
Which can tom... ???

Like Dave said...just taste them...when you find a goodie you are golden...year round.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline tombiasi

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2013, 06:30:47 PM »
Which can tom... ???

Any well know brand. I jazz it up a little but not much.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 06:48:48 PM »
Hi Glutenboy,

I have tried a lot of San Marzano tomatoes over the past year including some great tomatoes that are grown right here in the U.S. If you find a company that you like, keep buying them. i am sure that i will continue trying different brands for fun, but again, there are some great tomatoes grown right here.

Today i made chilli for a school auction fund raiser. I used four cans of Escalon  6 in 1. They are a big part of the chilli recipe. I tired them with a spoon and I have to say that 6 in 1 is fantastic tomatoes. They are certainly priced right too. I guess my point is to buy what tastes good to you despite the name on the label or where they claim to be from.

TomN
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:55:56 PM by TomN »

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »

[/quote]

I too enjoy the jersey tomatoes.  I still buy some canned toms but the past couple of years we will drive to the farm stands in jersey and do a taste test with their tomatoes;  when we find a stand that we really like we buy a couple of bushels, head home  and start the "canning" process.  Of course not all tomatoes are canned due to the fact that it is also "Vidalia" onion season so we need some toms for the vidalia, tom and mayo sandwiches!

tom

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »
Of course not all tomatoes are canned due to the fact that it is also "Vidalia" onion season so we need some toms for the vidalia, tom and mayo sandwiches!

tom
Huh...I didn't know you folks up there also enjoyed our favorite sandwich from down here.  :P

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2013, 11:41:16 AM »
Huh...I didn't know you folks up there also enjoyed our favorite sandwich from down here.  :P

Been eating these things since I was a kid!  (And that was a long time ago    :D
I think the biggest reason my wife and I want to move south is for the Vidalia's and not the warm winters!

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2013, 08:09:27 PM »
Been eating these things since I was a kid!  (And that was a long time ago    :D
I think the biggest reason my wife and I want to move south is for the Vidalia's and not the warm winters!
Now you add some sliced cucumbers to the mix and I know some folks around here that are happy to just about live on sammies of any combination of those 3 all summer long.  :drool:

Offline ItalianChef21

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »
I just wanted to post an update since everyone thinks I'm crazy and/or wrong.

Bioagricert got back to me when I asked them for a copy of the certification which they sent me as a pdf file. No where is Cento listed. I told them that their logo was on the Cento website. Here is what they responded with:

hereby I confirm to you:

-          Cento is an US client of an our certified company: Coop Solania srl, product producer in Italy.

-          Solania is certified by Bioagricert exclusively under the UNI EN ISO 22005:2008 ‘Production Traceability Chain’ . You can find Solania 22005 Certificate (IT/EN) as annex to this e-mail.

As Certification body of the supplier we can’t move directly on Cento, however we’re asking them to remove wrong and misleading statements from their website.

The Bioagricert logo on the Cento website is now gone.

I have a can here that says "CERTIFIED". Above that it says "DELL'AGRO SARNESE-NOCERINO". The cans I see now don't say "DELL'AGRO SARNESE-NOCERINO" anymore.

All I'm trying to do is educate a few people and to keep us all from getting scammed. Why pay over $2.00 a can for a certification that isn't real?

Save your money and buy what tastes good.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »
I just wanted to post an update since everyone thinks I'm crazy and/or wrong.

All I'm trying to do is educate a few people and to keep us all from getting scammed. Why pay over $2.00 a can for a certification that isn't real?

Save your money and buy what tastes good.

I don't think you are crazy; I think you have a hidden agenda that is not as noble as you would like us to believe.

What is your real name?

Who do you work for?

Why is it that you have never posted anything here except your anti-Cento rants?

Why pay over $2 (let alone $4+) for a 28oz can with a real certification when I can get a 35oz can of Cento Italian for about $2 and they are likely better than the D.O.P! Your're right, about one thing - save your money and buy what tastes good - not D.O.P.

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2013, 11:29:59 PM »
They  are the supplier to Cento through their certified company, the certification stating that the tomatoes are grown in the proper region and are San Marzano strain, nothing more, so what is the problem.

Certification means nothing when the can is opened, let your taste be your guide.  Personally, the Walmart Classico and the HEB house brand are just as good, if not better than anything I have paid 3 or 4 dollars for.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2013, 11:58:14 PM »
Certification means nothing when the can is opened

I believe this may be the wisest thing written on this subject yet.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2013, 10:06:31 AM »
So TRUE !!!!!!