Author Topic: Ricotta - I need help  (Read 6218 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Ricotta - I need help
« on: January 17, 2012, 02:45:24 PM »
I've been to a couple places recently where they put ricotta on a pie and it melted smooth as silk. When I put ricotta on a pie, it just sits there and has the texture of fine cottage cheese. I tried whole milk. I tried straining it. What am I doing wrong? How do I get it to melt smooth???
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
Re: Ricotta - I need help
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 03:00:01 PM »
Have you tried thinning it out with a bit  of milk ?

Perry

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 04:10:49 PM »
I've been to a couple places recently where they put ricotta on a pie and it melted smooth as silk. When I put ricotta on a pie, it just sits there and has the texture of fine cottage cheese. I tried whole milk. I tried straining it. What am I doing wrong? How do I get it to melt smooth???

I was going to suggest half and half or cream that you could whip in. Did you get the kind or style they're using? Belgiosso makes a ricotta con latte that is very creamy.  http://www.belgioioso.com/RicottaConLatte.htm

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 04:20:46 PM »

Craig - Do you have access to hand dipped ricotta from a small producer? That does make a difference in the final product for me.

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »
Craig - Do you have access to hand dipped ricotta from a small producer? That does make a difference in the final product for me.

John

Sounds like I will have to search for one. What should the cheese look like when purchased?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »
Craig,
You might want to try requesón, available at many Mexican markets. A number of different varieties are available around here - some are great on pizza.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
The Calabro hand dip ricotta is amazing. It has that melting characteristic you are looking for http://accardifoods.com/documents/6Cheese.pdf. It comes in a metal wrapped tin. The Calabro ricotta that comes in those cream cheese like containers isn't the same stuff.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:53:56 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »
The Calabro hand dip ricotta is amazing. It has that melting characteristic you are looking for http://accardifoods.com/documents/6Cheese.pdf. It comes in a metal wrapped tin. The Calabro ricotta that comes in those cream cheese like containers aren't the same stuff.

I tried some of the calabro hand dipped ricotta recently, that stuff is incredible. 

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 07:31:42 PM »
The Calabro hand dip ricotta is amazing. It has that melting characteristic you are looking for http://accardifoods.com/documents/6Cheese.pdf. It comes in a metal wrapped tin.

This is what I buy, and even save the metal cans for use when I make my own every year or so. It is truly amazing. I can buy it at my local Stop and Shop anytime, as they stock all Calabro products, which are from Connecticut.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 07:33:45 PM »
What should the cheese look like when purchased?

It will be in a cup container without a "top". It is miles away from the super market plastic tubs. Ask your local cheese shop or cheese counter and they should be able to find something for you.

John

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 08:37:20 PM »
this is what the Calabro looks like  (when I open it on my computer the picture is rotated correctly  ??? )

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:39:06 PM by deb415611 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:54:25 PM »
Thanks all for the great info.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Vesta Wood-Fired

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »
I like to touch it with a little heavy cream in the robocoupe for a second to smooth it out.  Also, if you you have a really short bake time it will not have as much time to melt.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »
Don't know if this will help but when i make lasagna i will whip my ricotta in my kitchenaide until it is creamy.  When finished baking the lasagna has a very creamy feel on the tongue.
tom

Offline Tman1

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
I made ricotta myself last weekend, and it was sooooo smoootthhh (and unbelievably easy). You gotta try and just make the stuff yourself. I don't know that it will melt better (I'm guessing it would) but it was without the graininess of most store bought stuff.  I used Ina Garten's recipe from Food Network. Again, ridiculously easy.... I shared it with friends (plain cracker, dollop of ricotta, 1/2 dollop of jam) and they were all amazes.  I even screwed it up... halved the recipe, but not the sale and it still came out good.  I'm hoping I can incorporate it into a white sauce of some sort.  Curious what other ingredients your topping your pie along with the ricotta?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-ricotta-recipe/index.html

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 04:36:33 PM »
I made ricotta myself last weekend, and it was sooooo smoootthhh (and unbelievably easy). You gotta try and just make the stuff yourself. I don't know that it will melt better (I'm guessing it would) but it was without the graininess of most store bought stuff.  I used Ina Garten's recipe from Food Network. Again, ridiculously easy.... I shared it with friends (plain cracker, dollop of ricotta, 1/2 dollop of jam) and they were all amazes.  I even screwed it up... halved the recipe, but not the sale and it still came out good.  I'm hoping I can incorporate it into a white sauce of some sort.  Curious what other ingredients your topping your pie along with the ricotta?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-ricotta-recipe/index.html

White truffle oil and prosciutto - both post bake.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 09:59:52 PM »
I have not been able to find the one you guys reccomended yet. I tried this one tonight, and another FAIL! Like last time, it didn't melt in the slightest.  >:(
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »
I think this is the first time that I've ever just thrown a pie straight into the trash. I had some beautiful prosciutto and truffle oil ready, but I'm not going to waste it on that cheese disaster.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »
That is the consistency of the nonfat Calabro ricotta (which for what it is.... is really good but not for your excellent looking pizzas).  

The first ingredient in that cheese is cows milk whey -- that is the liquid left over after making cheese - you can make ricotta with it but it's not going to be as creamy as a ricotta made with just milk.   The best stuff in the milk became the cheese before the ricotta.  You will want to look for a cheese that is milk , starter and possibly salt.  

I just did a little searching and I can't back up my statement above but I have made ricotta from whey and from whole milk and there is a difference in the consistency of the cheese.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:11:57 AM by deb415611 »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 08:16:46 AM »
just found this statement:

Calabro’s secret is using the very best fresh milk for its ricotta instead of the leftover whey, gum, and stabilizers that most companies use.

here http://celebreaty4recipes.wordpress.com/2011/06/14/sampling-the-calabro-cheeses-the-ferraris-of-all-gourmet-cheeses-plus-calabros-pizza-rustica-recipe/

pizzapan