Author Topic: Ricotta - I need help  (Read 7081 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Ricotta - I need help
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »
Craig - try making your own. If you can, use whole, organic, 100% grass fed milk. The best recipes use rennet as the coagulant, but vinegar or lemon juice do work.

John

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 09:53:36 AM »
Thank you. I'll keep looking.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
Craig, I'm sure you're already aware of this, but ricotta doesn't really melt, at least, not in the traditional cheese melting sense. We're talking about completely static cheese particles suspended in liquid.  It's the size/consistency of the these particles and the quantity of liquid that dictates flow when heated. This is why blending/processing with liquid is so popular. Smaller, wetter particles will flow better during baking.

The absolute worst case scenario is dry clumpy ricotta- which you experienced first hand. This can be brought back to life, though, with sufficient blending and liquid- to a point.

Particule texture varies widely- you can have soft, velvety particles vs. hard grainy ones.  Particle consistency relies less on source (whey vs. milk), then it does on cheesemaking skills and freshness.  Whenever you make this kind of cheese, you're looking at very tight tolerances when it comes to curdling agents and heat.  Too much curdling agent (usually acid) and you denature the proteins excessively and you end up with a rubbery particle.  Too much heat, same thing. It takes tremendous skills to end up with something soft and velvety- skills that, imo, take months of cheesemaking to acquire as well as an understanding of the chemistry involved. It's way more than your typical ricotta recipe of just heating the milk, adding the acid and collecting the curds. Way more.

The other aspect is freshness.  Purchased ricotta, over time, will get grainier. I can't speak for the rest of the country, but typical supermarket brand ricotta, if used close to the day you buy it, is usually pretty darn tender and creamy.  In my area, it's always better than Polly-O and Sorrento.  That's what I'd try first- with some blending and some liquid- cream, milk, olive oil, etc. If that doesn't work well for you, go with the national brands.

Imo, instead of seeking out a special brand that might be a bit more expensive and not have great turnover, it's preferable to get the freshest cheap stuff you can find.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 11:20:13 AM by scott123 »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 12:31:40 PM »
Scott, that is what I thought, however I have has several pies lately that said ricotta on the menu and the cheese was soft and smooth as silk. The flavor was not that of mozzarella, so I don't know what to think.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Vesta Wood-Fired

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 03:13:03 PM »
That doesn't look like ricotta in the package or on the pie from the pics that I see.  It looks like curd.  Definitely try Sorrento like Scott said I've used that in the past and never had a problem with it.

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 07:30:27 PM »

Craig

If you can get your hands on Grande brand ricotta, I think it is worth the try-good flavor and consistency.

Bob

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 08:49:49 PM »
I was going to suggest half and half or cream that you could whip in. Did you get the kind or style they're using? Belgiosso makes a ricotta con latte that is very creamy.  http://www.belgioioso.com/RicottaConLatte.htm

Hate to quote myself here, but if you can't find Calabro you may really like this for what you're trying to do. I only mention it again because it's easier to find in my experience.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 10:20:47 PM »
Jeff, it's funny. I can find all sorts of other Belgiosso products here, but I have not seen the Ricotta. I'll keep looking.

Thanks!

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 11:04:55 PM »
This pie I had at Olio Pizza E Pił was made with ricotta according to the menu. It was incredible. I want a ricotta that melts like this (if that is indeed what the cheese is?).
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 09:27:47 AM »
Seriously, why wouldn't you try and make it yourself?    ???  I had a very successful attempt my first time.... and it takes less time than the dough.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 06:39:41 AM »
This pizza has predominantly Calabro hand dipped ricotta. It melts almost like fresh mozzarella.

John

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 11:09:05 AM »
Seriously, why wouldn't you try and make it yourself?    ???  I had a very successful attempt my first time.... and it takes less time than the dough.

I would like to, but are you going to be the one to tell my wife, who is already fed up with my pizza making, that I'm going to get into cheesemaking for the pizza too. A man has to know his limitations.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 11:09:59 AM »
This pizza has predominantly Calabro hand dipped ricotta. It melts almost like fresh mozzarella.

John

I have one more place to try. I have my fingers crossed.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 10:29:27 AM »
I would like to, but are you going to be the one to tell my wife, who is already fed up with my pizza making, that I'm going to get into cheesemaking for the pizza too. A man has to know his limitations.  :-D

I get it. I think about making bread, and cheese and pizza and...  but making ricotta is a very fast process. The first time I tried i had to manage the milk to boil, then it was wait time similar to proofing. Minimal time, very, very easy. I don't have a lot of 'street cred' on this site, but just try it once.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 11:53:56 AM »
It looks like I don't have a choice. There is no Calabro to be had in Houston so far as I can tell.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 05:25:38 PM »
It looks like I don't have a choice. There is no Calabro to be had in Houston so far as I can tell.

CL

Craig,
Make it yourself, it's super easy.  All you need is milk & vinegar.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 09:28:06 PM »
I mix in a little shredded mozz. like 1 small handful to the container. with the seasoning as well this pie has my Ricotta Calzone mixture on it. Not Calabro just a whole milk store bought house brand. I am going to try the Calbro soon think R Depot Has it.
John
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:30:08 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2012, 06:16:56 PM »
OK, I'm going to try to make some tonight. When draining, do I want it on the thick side or the thin side?

C:
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2012, 07:14:50 PM »
Drain it through a cheese cloth or a plastic container with holes in it & refrigerate overnight.   Keep a bit of whey in a cup just in case.

Matt

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2012, 09:05:09 PM »
Drain it through a cheese cloth or a plastic container with holes in it & refrigerate overnight.   Keep a bit of whey in a cup just in case.

Matt

How would it preform if made right before use?

CL
Pizza is not bread.