Author Topic: Ricotta - I need help  (Read 6468 times)

Online Matthew

Re: Ricotta - I need help
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2012, 10:37:49 PM »
How would it preform if made right before use?

CL

Should be okay. Give it a shot.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2012, 08:45:44 AM »
I just use a couple of well moistened paper towels to line the strainer. Good luck!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »
IT MELTED!!! and was smooth as silk.

Thanks to you all who pushed me to make my own - especially Tman1 who sent me to http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-ricotta-recipe/index.html

The cheese was just what I wanted it to be.

Ricotta, white truffle oil, prosciutto.

Craig
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 10:28:57 PM by TXCraig1 »
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 12:27:05 AM »
I never knew that that was considered ricotta. My grandmother used to make cheese like that but she called it curd cheese. Whatever you call it, it's good! You can also make it with lemon juice instead of vinegar.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Tman1

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2012, 08:28:56 AM »
IT MELTED!!! and was smooth as silk.

Thanks to you all who pushed me to make my own - especially Tman1 who sent me to http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/homemade-ricotta-recipe/index.html

The cheese was just what I wanted it to be.

Ricotta, white truffle oil, prosciutto.

Craig

Awesome!!  :chef:

I have found that the recipe seems to have some good tolerance on measurements too. The first time I halved the recipe except for the salt.. still turned out. The second time I had a little more cream in than half and didn't measure the vinegar or salt and it turned out. 

It's great on a cracker with a dollop of jam!   :D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »
I bet it is. Thanks again Terry!

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »
Craig,

Thanks for starting this thread and thanks to Terry for posting the link to the recipe for the fresh ricotta at Reply 14 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17276.msg168448.html#msg168448   :)

I started to make the ricotta last evening and didnít have any good white wine vinegar on hand, so I just used Bellino Balsamic Vinegar.  When that vinegar didnít make the boiled mixture curdle I added Asian Rice Vinegar.  The resulting ricotta had a little too much of a vinegar taste, but after the bake it was fine.  Next week I am going to purchase some good white wine vinegar before I try to make the ricotta again.  

I had prosciutto at market today, but somehow forget to use it.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »
Craig,

Thanks for starting this thread and thanks to Terry for posting the link to the recipe for the fresh ricotta at Reply 14 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17276.msg168448.html#msg168448   :)

You're welcome. It's been very helpful for me too.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2012, 11:54:56 PM »
I've seen other recipes that call for lemon juice instead of the vinegar.

Technically Craig started it.. I just fed the beast.   :-D

As an aside, I did add a little (1/8 tsp) vanilla the other day, but it wasn't enough to notice. I may try that again with a little more... I just thought I'd give it a try.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2012, 12:26:31 AM »
Some buttermilk is also a good addition. It gives it a little tang without making it sour tasting.

Don
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2012, 07:45:13 AM »
I've seen other recipes that call for lemon juice instead of the vinegar.

Technically Craig started it.. I just fed the beast.   :-D

Terry,

I am glad you fed the beast, since Craig started this thread!  :chef: I might try some raw milk with the recipe you posted.  Steve also told me yesterday he thought lemons might work to curdle the mixture.  I had lemons on hand, but didnít think about trying them.  I also had citric acid on hand from making fresh mozzarella awhile ago and also vegetable rennet, but didnít think about trying them either.  I at first was concerned because my mixture didnít want to curdle.  ??? At least it turned out well for my first attempt, even though my ricotta was a little darker from the balsamic vinegar.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Tman1

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2012, 08:51:30 AM »
I've been on the watch for other ingredients to pair with the ricotta.. prosciutto seems to be the most popular. A couple places here locally use meatballs (slice up). The first time I tried it the meatballs were very plain. the second time it was a popular local spot and it was the evening special... still not wicked good, but it was better.

Any other ideas out there?

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2012, 10:06:19 AM »
I've been on the watch for other ingredients to pair with the ricotta.. prosciutto seems to be the most popular. A couple places here locally use meatballs (slice up). The first time I tried it the meatballs were very plain. the second time it was a popular local spot and it was the evening special... still not wicked good, but it was better.

Everyone here got me thinking eggplant lasagna!  Friday is a quiet night for me (wife is going out) so I'm thinking ricotta, roasted eggplant, mozz, carmelized onions and some sauce.  Then top with fresh basil.  Just me, pizza, and a couple of Harp's beer.
tom

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2012, 11:40:18 AM »

Here's a couple of ideas-

W honey on toast for breakfast

I make a version of Andrew Carmelli's whipped ricotta for almost every get together we have. It is awesome on grilled bread. You can find a version here  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/andrew-carmellinis-whipped-sheeps-milk-ricotta-appetizer.html

Lol, as I'm typing it ocurred to me you were probably talking about on pizza.  :-[ Oops.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
Tonights fresh ricotta, white truffle oil, and prosciutto.

This cheese melted even better than last week. Again, it made it a couple hours before using, but this time, I whipped it up real well with a spoon before using. It was silky smooth before going on the pie. I spread it on with a spatula.

CL
Pizza is not bread.