Author Topic: here's to trying to drink from the fire hose of pizza knowledge  (Read 240 times)

Offline DevinM

here's to trying to drink from the fire hose of pizza knowledge
« on: January 18, 2012, 02:00:23 AM »
Hey folks, I've been an frequent visitor for about 2 years now, but my enthusiasm is outmatched by my inconsistency in circumstances (ovens and ingredients) and recipie selection/execution so I don't learn very much though I try hard each time.

Let's see, I haven't gotten much opportunity to make pizza in the last several months but I'm diving in this winter because I don't feel so bad about heating up the house so i just ordered a .8" thick 14x16 old stone oven baking stone and would love to figure out how to take best advantage of it in terms of dough type in an electric oven with a dial that appears to go up to 575. Also last year I found a local store with fresh cake yeast but have had variable success with it, I think they store it too long, but when it's good it really shines. That said i'm quite a fan of sourdough and have started several different ones over the years with varying success, just started a new one with KA whole wheat and some kefir whey.

Grew up in SF on North Beach Pizza, from what I can tell people on this board seem to think it's gone down hill now and I haven't been for several years but I remember a delicious, hearty but crisp crust that reminded me of the bread sticks across the street at the Italian bakery. Also a big fan of Zachary's chicago style in the east bay, though I'm far more inclined towards trying to replicate the north beach pizza of my youth. Unfortunately I'm not sure when I'll have access to enough heat to cook a thick dough well.

All in all, I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone.

cheers
Devin

Online TXCraig1

Re: here's to trying to drink from the fire hose of pizza knowledge
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 03:38:06 PM »
Remember, when drinking from a fire hose, it is important not to plug your nose.

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »
Devin, I think if you look at the Chicago deep dish board here you will find that high heat is not needed or desired for that matter. 450F. is fine, which is good because that's the hottest my counter top oven can reach and it works great for deep dish.
Don

Offline DevinM

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 01:03:56 AM »
Thanks Don

I think I had seen that deep dish style can be made with reasonable heat. I was referring to and perhaps still incorrectly, to making a somewhat thick and moderately crispy crust. I guess thats American style here?