Author Topic: SOPA/PIPA  (Read 817 times)

scott123

SOPA/PIPA
« on: January 18, 2012, 01:07:52 PM »
If you spend any time on the internet, I'm sure you're aware of two pending bills in Congress, SOPA and PIPA.  I know that this forum stays away from politics, which is a good thing, but in this instance, these two bills could impact us.

The vague wording in these two bills gives corporate entities unprecedented power to shut down websites. If, say, someone from Dominos doesn't like what one of our members is saying, they could, if these bills are enacted, use these laws to shut this site down.

Occasionally, members post links to copyrighted material on Youtube/video sharing sites. The members themselves most likely won't know the material is copyrighted, nor do we, but if these bills get enacted into law, this site could be in jeopardy.

While neither of these scenarios is highly likely, this legislation opens the door wide open for abuses like this. We shouldn't have to be nervous about what we post/what we link to because Hollywood doesn't want some kid sharing their movie with another kid. If the media content industry wants to find ways to stop online piracy, I applaud it, but not at the expense of free speech and liberty.

Educate yourself on these bills and, if you feel compelled, write your Senator.

http://americancensorship.org/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 01:54:04 PM by scott123 »

Offline pizzablogger

Re: SOPA/PIPA
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »
I second this and have been incensed by it.

The assault on the "final frontier" (the internet) is about to hit full stride in the next few years.

--K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 01:34:48 PM »
Scotty,

I was about to post the exact same thing as you just did because my thought process about this bill was identical.

Furthermore, this website here is well-known online and it grows bigger every day so there is a threat shutting us down if someone finds a potential "violation of copyright infringement".

I believe the sponsor of this bill is Rep. Lamar Smith and people can contact him here:

http://lamarsmith.house.gov/Contact/

I also urge members who disagree with those two bills to contact their Members of Congress.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
It is important to write or call and make it clear you are a registered voter in your representative's district. Email and online petitions do not carry nearly the same weight.  

Offline tikidoc

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
Agree completely with the above.  Make sure your representative knows how you feel about these bills. Without a doubt, we need to pass laws against piracy but these bills go way beyond that and jeopardize free speech.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
SOPA is Dead: Lamar Smith Withdraws Bill from the House

This battle has been won, but, rest assured, there will be more.

Edit: Pipa is still hanging on by a thread

PIPA on life support

But it isn't over yet, according to Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), the most vocal opponent of the bill.

“This is going to be a tough battle. Senators in the past have often said they’re against the bill or it needs to be fixed and then they vote for the motion to proceed to start the debate,” Wyden told POLITICO. “To get the job done right, we’ve got to defeat that motion to proceed.”
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:27:07 PM by scott123 »

pizzapan