Author Topic: How can I make New York style pizza in the UK?  (Read 1337 times)

Offline pizzajo

• I Love Pizza!
How can I make New York style pizza in the UK?
« on: August 14, 2005, 08:57:12 AM »
Hi

Having been lucky enough to visit New York a number of times over the past couple of years, I have become a hugh fan of New York style pizza!

I live in the UK and would really like to try and make a New York style pizza at home, but am not sure what type of flour I should use or how to get around the water issue?  I am also not sure whether I should use fresh or tinned tomatoes or which are the best make to use? 

I would be really grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Jo     

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
Re: How can I make New York style pizza in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 10:08:30 PM »
Hi

Having been lucky enough to visit New York a number of times over the past couple of years, I have become a hugh fan of New York style pizza!

I live in the UK and would really like to try and make a New York style pizza at home, but am not sure what type of flour I should use or how to get around the water issue?  I am also not sure whether I should use fresh or tinned tomatoes or which are the best make to use? 

I would be really grateful for any advice.

Many thanks

Jo     

Jo,

I have just emabarked on an effort to create the ideal NY Pizza based on the info from this forum. You'll probably find through searching that you can extrapolate the correct ingredient specs and requirements to make a very good NY'er. To kick you off, you need to put the Protein level of the dough you use to the top of your list, overlook that at your peril (you will quickly learn that the more you study this site)!. I'm confident you will be able to track down a 14% protein flour in the UK, first try normal stores and continental delis, then if no good track down some flour suppliers and you should have no problem (although min. quantities can get a little large sometimes). With the water, if you are afraid of the hardness (I think that's right in the UK, yeah?), I'd substitute tap water with bottled drinking water. With the tomatoes, that is well explained in various threads in this section. Tinned tomatoes are par for the course with making a NY'er, how you construct the sauce itself can be a matter of personal preference, but there are plenty of versions to try here.

Take some time if you haven't already and read through the Lehmann dough thread, there is a ton of good info there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 10:34:45 PM by OzPizza »
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

Offline pizzajo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 03:33:02 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your very helpful advice.  I'll certainly have a go!   Have you had much luck recreating NY pizza in Oz?

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 08:38:40 PM »
It's a pleasure. I know how much time it can take to gather all the right info.

I'll be posting my last nights results in a new post today. I would say I've finally cracked a NY'er down here!
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

pizzapan