Author Topic: Pizza expo?  (Read 1162 times)

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
Pizza expo?
« on: January 20, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »
Just for sheets and giggles...anyone attending the Pizza expo in Vegas in March?

Our main purveyor is sending me, no charge, so Im gonna go for the first time.  I checked out the companies that will be there, and its pretty good, for all the commercial guys.  I know the artists in pizza world probably won't go....but, maybe it will do me some good.  A couple hour long classes I'd be interested in...both cooking and business.  Unless I missed it, none of the big three wood burning oven companies will be there (FN, Acunto or SF) ....I realize there are more, but those are the most talked about ones, I think.....that is a bit disappointing.  But, of course ES and WS are gonna be there.

Its a big commercialized thing, I know, with all the throwing stuff...but, hey, its free for me, it can't hurt and afterwards, Ill drive up to salt lake city, visit my son and hit Settobello.

Just wondering if any of you will be there.....a definate added bonus.

Thanks.

Offline Tman1

Re: Pizza expo?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 03:00:12 PM »
I was hoping too.. there looks like some good biz info classes. Given my bank account at the moment, it seems unlikely that I'd make it. Airfare used to be cheap to Vegas... doesn't seem so now. 

A time and location should be set for a casual meeting.  Good luck!

scott123

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »
If a purveyor were paying my way, I might go. It never hurts to see what the enemy is up to  ;D

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:10:27 PM »
Yeah Scott

You never, ever know where you will find your next key to inspiration.

Gotta do things to decide in what direction to go to.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:16:09 PM »
I haven't looked into going, but may just for fun. Anyone who lives on the west coast/midwest should go to allegiantair.com they have cheap tickets all the time in and out of vegas. Also if I don't see you at the show, I definitely could meet you at setebellos lol.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:27:21 PM »
Me   ;D I am planning on attending there will be SF represented there in some form trust me . I will hopefully be at the madan plastics / dough mate  booth helping out there. What class you in on?
Glad to hook up at some time plans are still in the works
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:06:28 PM »
JConk

Its great your going!

I double checked, still don't see SFon the list of booths...but I believe you....thats good to know.

Ill try to hit as many of the culinary classes as possible, mooz making, Nea pie with Starita, sausage making, ricotta making...wanna see if Im missing something...though I really think most of these classes will be really beginner classes.... Im even gonna pay the extra for Gemignani's dough workshops....there's always SOMETHING one can learn......and I know I can learn plenty.

Hope I see you there....it would be a pleasure.

Jeff- hope you make it.....any idea drive time from LV to SLC??  I done the drive before, but stopped at several state and national parks along the way....took me 3 days that way.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:09:14 PM by gabaghool »

Phar Lap

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 09:10:26 AM »
gabaghool,

I used to live in SLC--(damn, I miss that city), and drove to Las Vegas several times...it should take you between 5.5 - 6.5 hours dependent upon your penchant for speed.  It is an easy, I-15 North all-highway drive, with 70 mph+ speed limits and unique scenery the whole way.

Settebello is an awesome neapolitan place with both an Acunto and a Ferrara oven if my memory serves me correct, and if you have never tried Cucina Toscana, which is only a few blocks from Settebello, I highly recommend it...one of the top 3 Italian fine-dining restaurants I have ever better been too.

If you have the time, you may also want to check out The Pie on the University of Utah campus...great pizza atmosphere and I guess it is an "American style" pizza that is heavy, but very tasty...especially after spending the day skiing 20,000+ vertical feet of the Wasatch front...did I mention I miss it out there  ;D

Adam           

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:56:34 AM »
Adam, You are not the only one who misses SLC!  I had a place at the base of Park city for Several years and LOVED it.  My dad still lives in Murray UT, basically SLC ,  so Its a quick Jaunt to Alta  ;D  !

Gaba still not confirmed but I should know by end of Month If I am going?
hope we can meet

John

Phar Lap

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
John,

I here you buddy...we lived in Park City 2004-2005...my wife instructed at Deer Valley and I worked at Park City Mountain Resort...we skied at least 100+ days that season.  We had a chance to buy a house in Old Town that was a stretch for us financially, and we ultimately chicken'd out...today that place is worth 3 to 4 times what we could have bought it for...yikes!

However, we did settle down in Sugarhouse in the 15th&15th area of SLC, and that area is still the best/most unique neighborhood I have ever lived in.

Adam     

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 03:15:04 PM »

Jeff- hope you make it.....any idea drive time from LV to SLC??  I done the drive before, but stopped at several state and national parks along the way....took me 3 days that way.

Haha 3 days is a little long. Plan on about 7 hours, can be done in 6 if your really cruising. There are 2 sections of "test highway" where the speed limit is 80. It's awesome, you can go high 80's without going over the speed limit that much. The trip is pretty easy, hop on I-15 north. That's it. Setebello is a 1/4 mile of the 15.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
Thanks guys for the driving info.  Got a kid who goes to Uof U.  Big skier...real good too (from what other skiers tell me)  U o U is gonna provide housing IN Park City next year, I hear...guess whos gonna live there and commute?  The kids skis 5 days a week...which is ok, I guess, his grades are still up there.  he wants to make a living in the ski industry.  No better place to meet those in the field I guess.

SLC is taco truck heaven, as far as places I've been too, but the pizza....besides Setto, which I've never been, is pretty raunchy.  But, in all honestly, I've not made a deep search.  Utah, in itself is simply incredible....my son's never coming home, thats for sure...and I don't half blame him.

One of the BEST italian deli's Ive EVER been to, including NYC is Tony Caputo's, as far as raw product is concerned...even have their own "cheese cave".  The smells in there are incredible.  Fantastic assortmant of cold cuts, breads, etc.

Hope to see some guys at the Expo.  Not a gambler, so if this show stinks....well maybe SLC a day or two early.

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 05:16:48 PM »
Oh, and is the old section of Park City incredible!!  I LOVE that place.....and the $$ to buy there are unbelievable!!

scott123

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »
Im even gonna pay the extra for Gemignani's dough workshops

If you want to pay for a dough throwing/spinning class with Tony, go for it, but honestly, I've said this before, but, right now, you know more about dough than he does. Don't waste your money.

scott123

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 06:33:23 PM »
Btw, if anyone wants to swing by Dom Demarcos while they're in Vegas

http://www.domdemarcos.com/

it would be nice to confirm my diminished expectations  ;D

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 06:47:50 PM »
Oh yeah!!!
Those are expectations Im willing to bet on, Scott.

there's NO WAY, and for once I can say from experience, that one can be proficient from simply watching.  And if i were to say ONE negative thing about DD, its the fact that it SEEMS, stessing SEEMS, that he left his family unprepared to go forward without him.......BUT, who knows, maybe THATS the way he wanted it......maybe he left his family secure and thought there was no reason to continue on, who knows?  But you don't make dough, ferment dough, stretch and decorate dough, bake pizza, cut pizza, finish pizza, all by yourself for so many years, refusing  (or offspring not wanting?) to let ANYONE help.....and expect that skill to use osmosis in order to prepare the next in line for a success. 

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »
Ya Park City is a very fun place to spend time. I love how they have the free shuttle service, it is great for winter. My family has spent 3 of the past 5 years there in Deer Valley. I however think the food choices there are mediocre. It has a 50% price inflation of food prices making 12 dollar meals near 20, which is typical for other resort towns I've been too, however I have yet to find the diamond in the rough. Well with one exception I guess, el chubasco, but thats just good cheap mexican. I seek for great cost effective dive spots, or for incredible food at expensive restaurants. I HATE mediocre expensive food, and to me that's park city for the most part. Oh also a place that is supposed to be decent in the way of pizza is pizzeria 712, it is in Orem. You could try it if you like while driving up to SLC, it is about 30-40 min before you get to SLC.

Phar Lap

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 07:22:21 PM »
gabaghool,

I could not agree more about Tony Caputo's deli...as luck would have it, since I left UT in 2007, Tony Caputo's opened a deli 1.5 blocks from my old home in SLC!  

Great to hear your son is loving it out there, and as to making it in the ski industry, there is no better place in the U.S...the number ski companies that have relocated their U.S. headquarters to Ogden/SLC in the last 5-7 years is amazing.

Adam

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 07:42:37 PM »
Um yep the place  TRIPLED+ $ in about three years and I got out ! at the peak, then slid off could hve bought it back again few years back and still made good money ! I did invest in prperty inCharlotte NC so I didnt blow the profits but, Its rented very positive, and I could allways sell out and start Neapolitan joint somewhere with the proceeds Hmnn??? No loan - new life? I still have a Timeshare at westgate and I like the vibe at the canyons when its hopin! I do not do park city too much sideways and not enought up and down!
Yes miss it much No neapolitan there that I know of but I did see my first mobile oven there about 7-8 years ago some mud thing on like a snowmobile trailer but never the less ir was a mobile WFO ! never thought I would end up doing the same thing!

Offline Brian from PizzaSpotz.com

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2012, 12:31:13 AM »
One of my goals is to attend the Expo. Is it always in Las Vegas? If so, are there any good pizza industry shows in the Southwest i.e. Dallas, TX?