Author Topic: Sourdough Starter with Fruit Juice  (Read 2518 times)

Offline TheIrishman

Sourdough Starter with Fruit Juice
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:58:43 PM »
I was told that one can make a sourdough starter with raw fruit juice and flour. Pineapple or orange juice to be specific. Anyone ever try this?

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Sourdough Starter with Fruit Juice
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »
Yes, pineapple juice, it works well. It's often referred to as "The Pineapple Solution", it was popularized by Debra Wink, a baker who I believe is connected with the King Arthur flour company. I'm pretty sure you can google it for more info.

Offline TheIrishman

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »
The idea behind it though is that the juice has to mixed with an organic flour. The recipe I read called for rye berries pulverized in a coffee grinder. The yeast being already on the berries. My question is what type of flour do you make/buy to go with the juice? How do I know it hasn't been cleaned or sterilized? Does it always have yeast no matter what?

Offline MrP

• One more slice
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:27:26 AM »
Here is a good link: http://www.breadtopia.com/make-your-own-sourdough-starter/

The starter that I created back in August with this method is going strong and is doubling as I type this.

I just used AP flour.

Offline Crider

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:44:32 PM »
Whole wheat or rye. You don't need to use whole berries. If you get organic, then it's likely there's a greater population of yeast spores on the bran. I myself like my rye starter. I's available in the bulk bins at your local health food store.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
If your pineapple juice starter doesn't work out, this honey starter is simple also, and uses plain (All Purpose or Bread) flour.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12935.0.html
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »
Any flour will do, you don't have to have rye or whole wheat or "organic" or anything fancy. A sack of flour from the nearby grocery store will work just fine, I've done it many times that way.

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:04 PM »
What would happen if you used sweetened pineapple juice?  RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »
RJelli

I really don't think it matters much, the only important thing is the acid in the juice keeps the leuconostoc bacteria in check. I've just used the liquid from a can of pineapple that's packed in it's own juice. Worked fine. Too many people overthink this stuff.

cornicione54

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 07:05:43 PM »
Yes, pineapple juice, it works well. It's often referred to as "The Pineapple Solution", it was popularized by Debra Wink, a baker who I believe is connected with the King Arthur flour company. I'm pretty sure you can google it for more info.

Debra Wink is not formally connected with King Arthur. She was a member of the King Arthur Baking Circle online community where her background in microbiology informed her advice/experiments (along with other members there). It resulted in the original"pineapple method" which eventually got picked up/popularized by Peter Reinhart for his Whole Grains book.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:10:26 PM by cornicione54 »

Offline Crider

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50:57 PM »
Here's the links to Wink's article about the Pineapple Juice Solution, part 1 and part 2.

Offline TheIrishman

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 04:37:22 PM »
I tried it with KA AP and fresh squeezed orange juice. It sat on top of my fridge and then on day three it activated. Worked like a charm. Havent made anything with it yet though.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 04:46:51 PM »
It also works well with lemon or lime juice as well.

pizzapan