Author Topic: Clam pie  (Read 3514 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Clam pie
« on: January 22, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
Iíve been looking for the right clam pie for almost as long as Iíve been pizza obsessed. Iíve had them with a with a white, alfredo-type sauce; Iíve had them on a white pie with mozzarella cheese; and Iíve had New Haven style with olive oil, garlic, oregano, and parmesan; but none of them did it for me. It was not until I ate at Frannyís in Brooklyn a couple weeks ago that I discovered what I want a clam pie to taste like. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16867.0.html

When I ate there, I was so mesmerized by the pie that I didnít even think to go watch them make it until it was too late Ė and that was when I was on my second clam pie! Two things seemed apparent to me in retrospect, however. First, the clams were not cooked when they went on the pie (and they must have been HUGE clams as they were big and plump like an oyster Ė which I plan to try very soon!). If they had been cooked first, they would have been tough and dry, but they were perfectly plump and tender. Second, I donít think there was any cheese on the pie.

I googled ďFrannyís clam pieĒ and found a recipe in the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/20/dining/201crex.html). Sure enough it didnít have any cheese, but I was pretty sure it was not the recipe used in the restaurant either. Iím thinking there was not wine used in Frannyís pie for one thing, but I stand to be corrected. The recipe called for boiling the clams with wine, onions, garlic, and bay leaf, and then reducing the liquid, adding cream, and then reducing it further. I played around with making a sauce like this without boiling the clams (I knew I wanted them to go on raw). Even if this is they way they do it at Frannyís, itís too much work, and the sauce, while beautiful and rich, is just too salty from the reduced clam juice to go on a pie. I did get excited though as the sauce had a flavor very similar to the brie and oyster soup I made for Christmas. I knew I was on the right path.

When playing around with the sauce, I tried it with and without wine, and as I expected, I liked it much better without the wine. I was happy about that as I was going to put enough liquid on the pie without adding any wine as well.

I opened 15 or so clams reserving all the juice. I did this ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator. When it came time to top the pie, I opened the skin and scattered around the clams being sure to bring plenty of the clam juice with them. Getting a good bit of the juice on the pie is key to this recipe! I then swirled on a healthy dose of EVOO and maybe twice as much heavy cream. Lastly, I sprinkled on some red pepper flakes and chopped garlic. After the bake, I topped it with chopped flat leaf parsley. Thatís it.

This pie is incredible. The clam juice, EVOO, and cream cook down to a super thick, rich, creamy, and briny glaze that is luscious and yet primal at the same time. If you served the pie to someone who didnít know any better, they would tell you it had cheese on it. With the heat of the pepper flakes and the freshness of the parsley, it will absolutely make your tongue want to beat your brains out. Itís that good.

More info on the dough here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14249.msg168867.html#msg168867

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Clam pie
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:56:15 PM »
I thought I'd want to squeeze a little lemon juice on the pie before eating, but it didn't need it. That's why the lemon is in the picture above. It was not used.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:36:21 PM »
This is really awesome Craig.   I have been wanting to try a clam pie for a long time now.   Thanks for doing the homework.  Your pie looks outrageously good.

Chau

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 11:48:40 PM »
Wait, so did you do anything to make a sauce? or did you just put all of the ingredients on the pie then throw it in?

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:54:32 AM »
Hi Craig,

That pie looks amazing!!

Have you thought of blending together the clam juice, cream and olive oil in a bowl, and then dressing the pie with that emulsion?

How would you treat tinned clams? Thank you.

Kind regards.

Barry in Cape Town

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »
Yes Amazing! Please just go over that cream again?
I will try this next fire for sure !
Thanks Craig
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:34:06 AM »
Craig,

I recall making an oyster pizza with fresh oysters (in a small tub at the supermarket) where I used some sliced jalapeno to give the pizza an extra kick. It worked and was quite good.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »
Wait, so did you do anything to make a sauce? or did you just put all of the ingredients on the pie then throw it in?

Yes, just like I described above. You can see how it looked pre bake.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:26:56 AM »
Have you thought of blending together the clam juice, cream and olive oil in a bowl, and then dressing the pie with that emulsion?

How would you treat tinned clams? Thank you.

You could blend it all together, I don't think it would improve the final product any. If it works better for you that way, I don't think it would hurt anything. For presentation purposes with fresh clams, I prefer the piece-by-piece assembly I describe above.

For tinned clams, I think I would do it basically the same way as I describe above. I've seen some clams lately that come in those metalic bags with no juice (tuna seems to be coming packed this way more and more too). If I got them that way, I would get some bottled clam juice too and still do it the same way. In either case, the clams will be tougher and the pieces smaller, but I bet it's still very good.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
It's hard to tell from the picture, but there is at least as much clam juice as oil on the skin above.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »
Craig,

I recall making an oyster pizza with fresh oysters (in a small tub at the supermarket) where I used some sliced jalapeno to give the pizza an extra kick. It worked and was quite good.

Peter

Thanks Pete - we will be trying that!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »
Thank you for your reply Craig.

Barry

buceriasdon

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
Craig , surperb pizza as always. When I can get fresh clams, which is not that often, I jump on them. Oysters are very plentiful here but for some reason not clams.
Barry, I use the baby clams in a can frequently, but drain them off, then a drizzle of clam juice, olive oil and a squeeze of lime over them. One of my favorites.
Don

parallei

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 03:01:23 PM »
That clam pie sure looks GOOD Craig.  I'm going to give it a try soon.

Offline jeffereynelson

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 03:23:27 PM »

CL

got it, just was a little confused when you said "When playing around with the sauce, I tried it with and without wine, and as I expected, I liked it much better without the wine. I was happy about that as I was going to put enough liquid on the pie without adding any wine as well."

Made it seem like you might have been making the sauce beforehand combining ingredients somehow. Thanks for clarification.

Offline Tara

• Mmm... pizza!!!
    • Tarot by Tara
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 12:37:29 PM »
Omg how did you make that crust????   :chef:  It looks so good!  Just how I like it! :)  :pizza:

Offline Tara

• Mmm... pizza!!!
    • Tarot by Tara
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »

CL

Your avatar is hilarious.   :-D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »
Omg how did you make that crust????   :chef:  It looks so good!  Just how I like it! :)  :pizza:

Thank you Tara.

Look around in here and you'll find most of what I know about making pizza: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14249.420.html

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 09:50:02 PM »
I made one the same way with canned clams tonight. Not as good, but will certainly do in a pinch.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 09:06:28 AM »
i'm going to try this soon.  you influenced me to order one at motorino recently and it was a good call.  btw, i think i like motorino crust better than Keste, the texture was just perfect.

pizzapan