Author Topic: Mushrooms?  (Read 3478 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Mushrooms?
« on: December 22, 2003, 07:32:39 PM »
O=
What is everybody using for mushrooms?  I donít care for them but my wife does and I promised to put the little buggers on the next pizza; well half anyway.

Randy

« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 07:53:18 PM by Randy »

Offline Wayne

Re:Mushrooms?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 08:36:43 PM »
I find the best ones to be normal button mushrooms.  I prefer the ones that come in the jar as they have already been cooked.  Or you can sautee them yourself in butter or something.  Shitake mushrooms are also nice but to me, they just seem out of place on a pizza.  And portabella.  Yeesh not on a pizza.  Whatever ones you prefer, It's always good to sautee them before using ghem.  Fresh mushrooms on a pizza are flavorless and dry.
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 08:59:58 PM »
My wife says any thing in a can is better then 'fresh'.

Take it for what it is worth.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 10:53:39 PM »
Thanks for the information.

Offline iceman3876

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Mushrooms?
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:35:47 PM »
Button mushrooms are great with a slight variation on preparation. I start by putting the mushrooms in pan with no oil or butter whatsoever. The pre-saute allows the water to escape and intensify the flavor of the mushrooms. After about 5 minutes and the water obviously gone...I then add butter and the saute begins. If everything is done at the beginning of the saute whatever is being used to saute with will just disappear along with the flavor. Give it a try and i hope you enjoy....

Offline tonymark

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 07:47:09 PM »
Nothing like fresh porcini mushrooms on pizza.  We had a porcini pizza in Verona, Italy after 2 flights and 1 train ride (12 hours of travel) and it was sooooo good.  Too bad we cannot get those here.  Buttons are standard around our house these days.  Occasionally I put on a little hydrated dried porcini for that woody flavor.

TM
Making Pizza is not cooking, it is Performance Art!

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:18:20 PM »
Buttons are fine.  Definitely saute till dry, but don't go any further than that.  I'm not so sure that you can't add butter at the beginning.  Remember that the water will cook off at 212 degrees, but the butter won't.  That's the reason sauce reductions intensify taste.  Almost everything except the water stays.  However, it probably wouldn't hurt to wait to add the butter after the water is gone except that once the water is gone you will have a true saute and you have to watch carefully or you can overcook them.  The great thing about mushrooms is they absorb flavor.  Add some kosher salt at the beginning and they have much more flavor.  Add chicken stock and they're even better.  Canned mushrooms are fine if you're in a hurry, but nothing beats freshly sauteed!

Bill

Offline rawcalls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 07:00:35 PM »
I use the same saute method as above but add garlic and a splash of white wine in with the butter...deeelish!!

Offline Z

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »
I slice some Criminis and saute them with some onion in a little butter until they lose a some of the moisture.
Z

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 11:34:13 AM »
Have a look over here guys.
www.mushroominfo.com/db/recipes.cfm
Aaron

Offline billneild

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 04:55:14 PM »
Aaron - That's a neat site.  I don't know if the recipes are any good, but I like the way it's organized.

Bill

pizzapan