Author Topic: Digital Scales...  (Read 6581 times)

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
Digital Scales...
« on: August 17, 2005, 09:18:03 AM »
I'm cheap... but I'd like to get a good digital scale.

Here's one I'm looking at ~~> click <~~

Anyone have any experience with it?

Anyone have other recommendations? I'm looking for inexpensive, space saving, and decent looking.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Snowman

• Please enter a location in your profile, please?
Re: Digital Scales...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 12:13:41 PM »
It only goes to 11 pounds.  Aren't you that lucky feller that just picked up a mixer?  (I reserve the right to be utterly confused on that point).  However, 10 pounds of flour in a 20 qt mixer is plenty.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 12:19:58 PM »
I only have a KitchenAid Artisan mixer. That thing isn't going to handle 20 pounds. :D

11 should be plenty for me.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 07:58:20 PM »
Some suggestions. My scale has 2 gr increments. Wish I had 1 gr. Make sure you can see the readout after you put that large container on it. I have to peek under the bowl/container to see the readout. My auto shutoff it way too short. Very frustrating to return to the scale and find it off. I hate that feature. These are my main gripes. Good luck.

Offline Snowman

• Please enter a location in your profile, please?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 08:51:12 PM »
I'm NOT endorsing this product, have never seen it in person, and not sure what weights it uses.  BUT... just for comparison... http://www.superprod.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=491983&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=135859

We all like choices, so I thought I'd share.  The larger top is something I like.  I checked edlundco.com and can't find that scale on there.  Sorry.

Offline Rjfpicc

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 07:35:32 PM »
my first post glad and I am glad to be here.  You can't be too cheap with your scales, especially, if you have a five or six quart mixer.  I scale my recipes in grams and because i usually use one or two pounds of flour.  The fudge factor on the cheap scales is horrific if your making small batches.  A scale that measure 2 grams increments will have a 1 gram fudge factor.  Example you weigh 30 grams of yeast, is it 29.5 grams or 30.5 grams?   The scale i bought measures in one gram increments and has a .5 gram funge factor.  The smaller batch you make the more precise the scales have to be.  Hope that this is helpful in someway.  I spent almost 100 dollars on my scales.. they were discounted ... 30 percent.  brand was Tanita kd-200.  you can learn to convert ounces to grams.... pretty easy.  If i max out the scales i just divide up the batch.  I have an old hobart c-100 10 qt mixer btw.  cya.  pizza maker midland texas

Offline Les

• It's Proper to use Grape Tomatoes in Wine Country
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 05:50:55 PM »
I am about to replace my Salter scale with one of the Escali scales on this page:

http://www.everythinghome.com/es11pedikisc.html?source=froogle&kw=115-P

If you look down the page you'll see the "Escali 115B Pronto Digital Kitchen Scale" under "Related  Items."  I chose the 115B at $56 because it has a larger weighing surface (plus all the other good stuff like the tare function, 1 gram or .1 ounce increments, etc.).  Often when I weigh larger bowls on my Salter, the bowl doesn't quite fit on the 6 inch platform or the bowl obsures the readout.  I like that flat design too.

Offline SemperFi

• Getting there, slowly but surely
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 04:54:09 PM »
I am about to replace my Salter scale with one of the Escali scales on this page:

http://www.everythinghome.com/es11pedikisc.html?source=froogle&kw=115-P

If you look down the page you'll see the "Escali 115B Pronto Digital Kitchen Scale" under "Related  Items."  I chose the 115B at $56 because it has a larger weighing surface (plus all the other good stuff like the tare function, 1 gram or .1 ounce increments, etc.).  Often when I weigh larger bowls on my Salter, the bowl doesn't quite fit on the 6 inch platform or the bowl obsures the readout.  I like that flat design too.

I realize its been awhile, 1.5 years actually, but that scale isn't showing up on that link, even a search isnt coming up with anything.  Did you get it?  Decent?  I am looking at the Salter ones but if you know of any better, please let me know.  Adam
Adam

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 05:06:54 PM »
I've had a Salter 3007 "Aquatronic" for years, and it stinks. Two problems:

1) it only weighs in 1/4 oz or 5g minimun increments.

2) The auto power down function likes to do it in a highly variable manner, usually when I'm right in the middle of weighing the 2nd or 3rd ingredient (after tareing out the prior ingredients).

It also seems to go from a low battery warning to dead in a VERY short time. OTOH, it will weigh and internally convert to fluid ounces of water, which is nice (as a Pint is Not a Pound). And has an 11 lb./5kg max rating.

Last month I got a MyWeigh 7001, and so far I love it. Got mine from http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/

- Al

« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:13:29 PM by pizzoid »

Offline EdF

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 12:03:40 PM »
We picked up a MyWeigh iBalance 5000 a few months back and love it.  Granularity is fine, small footprint for storage, flexibility as to what you put things in on top of it.

- Ed

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 09:35:23 PM »
One of my 3 scales is a Escali and it's a really nice scale, my favorite of the 3. I have a 50lb, 11.5lb and a 250 gram scale. I use these for homebrewing beer and making Meads. All were bought at americanweigh.com  :D First post and wouldn't let me link it.  :(
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline ryandelany

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 10:06:46 PM »
I've had a lot of luck getting shipping scales from rightonscales.com, and I notice they have a pretty large selection of kitchen scales.  I've actually been using one of my smaller shipping scales to measure out my pizza ingredients, and for the most part it works just fine.  I don't have as much granularity below 1oz, but it seems to work ok.

Ryan

Offline icemncmth

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 07:21:33 PM »
We picked up a MyWeigh iBalance 5000 a few months back and love it.  Granularity is fine, small footprint for storage, flexibility as to what you put things in on top of it.

- Ed

I have had a lot of scales over the years and the MyWeigh is the best for the money....

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 11:55:36 PM »
I picked up a "new in the box" Salter brand, 1 gram, scale on ebay for about $25 deliverd.  It goes to 11 pounds also and has a screw off (for cleaning) glass platform.

I like it a lot, except when I am measuring yeast and adding a gram at a time, something I need to push the bowl down and release it to get it to measure the one gram difference.  Other than this, it's awesome.

Jack

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2007, 11:35:25 AM »
I ditched the cheapo $20 Escali I had in favor of the $190 MyWeigh i5500 from oldwillknott (http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=219).  It's +/- 0.1g and up to 5.5kg.  That a shunky scale and a good price for that level of capability.

Offline Jack

• Pizza; it's what's for dinner, breakfast........
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 06:53:08 PM »
It's +/- 0.1g and up to 5.5kg. 

Sweet!

Offline loch

• I love pizza!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 04:51:04 PM »
I agree with pizzoid MyWeigh KD-7000 is the best I've owned for home use.  I also have a Salter and an older spring model but seldom use them anymore.
"As long as when she takes me out she buys me pizza and beer!"

Offline sanchez

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 06:32:26 AM »
Don't let them scare you away from getting that Escali scale.  I bought it after getting a Salter scale that cost twice as much and the Escali is a much better scale.  1 gr increments without and bouncing and floating of some of the other brands.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2007, 09:00:23 AM »
I ditched the cheapo $20 Escali I had in favor of the $190 MyWeigh i5500 from oldwillknott (http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=219).  It's +/- 0.1g and up to 5.5kg. 

I've been getting great use out of the I5500 I received for Father's Day. By far the best scale I've ever had. Accuracy is overkill for baking, but very useful for my charcuterie. The design, build, packaging, etc. of this scale are first rate, BUT the instruction pamphlet is atrocious - poorly translated English and a lack of detailed information on the more advanced, less obvious functions.

Bill/SFNM