Author Topic: Big change in extensibilty...KA Sir Galahad flour  (Read 936 times)

Offline jenunn01

Big change in extensibilty...KA Sir Galahad flour
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »
A month or so ago I switched from using an "00" flour  for our hearth baked pies. I was having some clumping issues with the "00" and wanted to look for alternatives with more flavor anyway so I tried KA Sir Galahad flour. It's protein level (11.7%) is similar to "00" (I know flour varieties in each are different) so I thought I'd give it a try. We bake our pies in a wood fired oven, balls are mixed at 58% hydration and cold fermented for 24 - 48 hours in the balled stage. We use a Hobart HCM450 cutter/mixer fitted with a dough blade and our mix times are 2.5 mins./1 min. after a minimum 25 minute autolyse. Unlike many wood fired pizza operations we fire our oven at 550 - 600F floor temp because I like a deeper bake and the crisp/crunchy crust that results. For the first 2 weeks using KA we had great results, then as of last week the extensibility of the dough changed dramatically. Normally after 2.5 hours of proofing our balls are at 70F and stretch very easily. At 5 hours they almost stretch themselves, but as of last week they have become very elastic and act like totally different flour of much higher gluten levels. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I've tried adding salt during first mix as opposed to second and got the same results. Could there be such a radical change in flour.....a seasonal thing maybe? I'm stumped.

Offline Zensojourner

Re: Big change in extensibilty...KA Sir Galahad flour
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 04:26:17 PM »
There would be no seasonal change of the flour itself; all KA's flours are milled to very tightly controlled standards.  Whether or not there was some environmental change that caused this may be the issue.

You should contact the folks at King Arthur; they can help you get this figured out.

pizzapan