Author Topic: Please look at my recipe  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Napalil

Please look at my recipe
« on: February 01, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »
 ;)This recipe was given to me by a Pizza Chef.  But,  he didn't give the instructions on what to do after the dough was made except to refrigerate for a cold rise for three days...How do I handle the dough after mixing?

21 oz cold water
.33 ounce dry yeast (how do I convert that to instant?)
.83 ounces sugar
1 ounce salt
1 ounce extra virgin olive oil
2.5 pounds 00 Italian flour (I use Caputo)

Combine yeast and water and mix in mixer for about 4 minutes.
Then add sugar and let is run in mixer with dough blade for 4 minutes.
Then add salt and olive oil and run 4 minutes.
Then add flour and let it run for 8 minutes.  Total time, 20 minutes.
Pull the dough from the bowl and portion into 7.5 oz balls.
Set in refrigerator covered in plastic wrap 24 hours - 36 hours before using. 
Bring to room temperature.

He cooked in stone oven at 800 degrees for 3-4 minutes.  I pre-heat my home oven for one hour at 500 degrees with pizza stone...
What do you think?

Thanks for any help. 

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: Please look at my recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 02:18:30 PM »
To use IDY (instant dry yeast use 1/4 less IDY than ADY (active dry yeast) so your new yeast level will be 0.2474 (call it 0.25-ounce) of IDY.
As for how to manage the dough, immediately after mixing, divide the dough into desired size dough balls, wipe with salad oil and place into individual plastic bags (bread bags work well), twist the open end into a pony tail and tuck under the dough ball as you place it into the fridge. Allow to ferment in the fridge (3-days in your case), then remove and allow to temper AT room temperature for about 2-hours, then turn out into a bowl of dusting flour and open into a pizza skin by hand, then brush with olive oil and dress as desired.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Napalil

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
 ;D
Thank you Tom...can't wait to try it!

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
;)

......    He cooked in stone oven at 800 degrees for 3-4 minutes.  I pre-heat my home oven for one hour at 500 degrees with pizza stone...
What do you think?

Thanks for any help. 

I think your pizza stone is not going to reach 800 degrees.  00 flour loves/ requires heat, 800 is a bare minimum at which the 00 flour will perform.

Just my $.02
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Napalil

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:44:28 PM »
I have read that the 00 flour needs high temperatures but after the pizza class where the dough was already made by the chef, I was able to go home with uncooked dough.  He suggested heating the oven to 500 for at least 30 minutes with the back of a cookie sheet to place the dough on.  It cooked up as good as his......I'm not expert but that was the best!  Perhaps the cookie sheet being metal heated up more than the stone?? The chef  also did home parties where he supplied the dough and cooked in home ovens.....so, I'm not an expert here, not even close, but honest - IT WORKED. Maybe the climate here in the Napa Valley is good for grapes and dough..LOL

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:07:27 PM »
How long did you bake the pie at 500F?

I'm guessing with a 3-4 min bake time, the chef's oven temp was closer to 650F than 800F.

Are you positive he used Caputo?

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Napalil

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 11:05:25 AM »
Yes, when talking about the flour and I asked where we could find it locally he said it was at Whole Foods and even described the packaging for it.....I took notes while he was talking. 

He even gave us the recipe for the sauce. In season he used heirloom tomatoes, peeled and seeded with salt to taste. Non-season he uses one can (large) of San Marzano tomatoes (or Valeroso or Muir Glen), two sprigs of fresh thyme, two sprigs of fresh oregano, and 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.  Into the food processor, non-cooked.  Easy, breezy.

He put the pie in his wood-burning-stone-cave-type oven for 3-4 minutes and said it was about 800 degrees. I know I had to bake the dough he gave me longer, but I didn't time it.  The edge (do they call that the cornicone?) plumped up perfectly - ah, it was a beautiful site.

Offline Napalil

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
PS...He said to use the Caputo in the red bag.....

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 12:43:13 PM »
One thought on the sauce. Unless you are REALLY careful, a food processor is going to incorporate a lot of air into your uncooked sauce - make it pink and frothy. With that much oil, it could end up almost like mayonnaise. I'd suggest a hand (stick) blender (making sure to go in short bursts and keep it under the surface and not let it suck in air), or a food mill - or crush by hand. None of these will incorporate air if you are careful.

Good luck to you - glad to see you are having success and making pies you like! Many folks around here are happy to help if you have questions along the way.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »
One thought on the sauce. Unless you are REALLY careful, a food processor is going to incorporate a lot of air into your uncooked sauce - make it pink and frothy. With that much oil, it could end up almost like mayonnaise. I'd suggest a hand (stick) blender (making sure to go in short bursts and keep it under the surface and not let it suck in air), or a food mill - or crush by hand. None of these will incorporate air if you are careful.

You might also want to add the oil after you have pureed the tomatoes to avoid any chance of creating an emulsion.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Napalil

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »
Thanks for the comments on the sauce...I never thought to analyze it....seemed so easy.  I'll use your suggestions this weekend..Thanks again!

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »
Has anybody tried to grind the tomatoes in a meat grinder with a fine plate say...1/8 inch.  Too slow to incorporate air but fine enough to make a puree?   I have the equipment but haven't tried it yet.  Maybe a double grind?

I hate pink blenderized sauces, have had the problem more than once...

Oh yea, how many pizzas of which size does this recipe make per the original dough recipe?

Ron

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:15:43 PM by Meatballs »

Offline Napalil

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 08:12:19 PM »
Love your picture and love a sense of humor...

This recipe made 7 - 7.5 ounce balls or pies, with a little left over.  It is a very wet dough.  I used Rose's suggestion to mix ingredients (Minus salt) until it pulls together.  Then cover and let it rest for 20 minutes.
Add salt and carry on.  And because my oven only goes to 500, I pre-baked the pies on parchment, slid into the oven for 5 minutes on a pizza stone, removed and goodies were added and baked for another 4-5 minutes.  I made it yesterday (Superbowl day) and wish we would have taken pictures.  It was a beautiful site even if I do say so myself. ;)

PS I did use instant SAF yeast .25 ounce as suggested by the Doughman.

Offline Napalil

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:15:35 PM »
Rose - meaning Rose Levy Beranbaum, author of The Bread Bible.....letting it rest for 20 minutes was called Autolyse.

Good luck! :D

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
Has anybody tried to grind the tomatoes in a meat grinder with a fine plate say...1/8 inch.  Too slow to incorporate air but fine enough to make a puree?   I have the equipment but haven't tried it yet.  Maybe a double grind?

I hate pink blenderized sauces, have had the problem more than once...

Ron, I agree with you 100% on the pink blenderized sauces. I like it a little chunky, so I use a food mill with a large plate. The small plate gets it pretty fine, however if you take it easy with a stick blender, you can get it as smooth as you like with no air incorporated at all.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »
Thanks napalil,

That's some smallish pizzas but appropriate for Neapolitan style.  The small size helps the cooking times.  Thinking of trying your recipe when I can get some Caputo... have to drive 90 miles ( I live rather "rural").  This recipe seems to make a lot of sense as a starting point for Neapolitan, more so than others I have seen.  Still trying to get the wife to believe there are good pizzas outside of my normal pepperoni NY style.

Thanks for posting it.

Craig,  Food mill is a good idea, I have one I rarely use... have to give it a try.  I'm scared of the hand blender, it sucks air at the least opportunity on me.

Ron.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 10:24:35 AM »
I used my grinder with a 3/16" plate (smallest I have) and ground up the tomates with garlic and it turned out great.  Added rest of the spices by hand. 
tom

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 12:18:08 PM »
I use a fine strainer and a bamboo spatula for my tomatoes. It works great and I don't have a machine sitting around that I only use for one thing.
-Jeff

pizzapan