I finished a poolish experiment that was mentioned in the “Poolish questions” thread .. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=39697.msg396462#msg396462
I didn't see my normal yeast activity so I'd like to try this again with more yeast at the mixing stage. Unfortunately, since the fermentation routine was so haphazard I'm not sure what I can glean from the experiment.
I started off with 40% of total flour, 100% of total water and 1/2 of my total IDY for 10 hours at RT. I then combined/mixed the rest of the ingredients to bulk. After about 36 hours I had zero noticeable rise in my bulk. I moved the bulk to RT for 12 hours and it almost doubled in that time. I then balled (my dough was very sticky for both the bulk and ball phase - 63%H/2%EVOO -Tony G flour). The dough was in ball form for about 22 hours. There was about a 2 hour RT warm up before stretching.
The dough was slightly difficult to open. It wanted to pull back a little so I had to let it rest a bit before topping. Not sure if that was the HG flour or maybe the dough was over mixed … It was sticky dough and I did have to work it to get beyond the sticky phase.
I tend to like my pizza more on the rustic, thin and crispy side with a smaller cornicione and it delivered on that front. I hadn't used Tony G flour in a while and it definitely has the qualities of any high gluten flour. I still think cutting the HG flour with some lighter 00 works better for me as it adds some lightness to the texture.
Flavor-wise the dough was excellent. That said, I’m not sure it was enough of a difference to use the poolish over my normal routine which just uses a short autolyse and a longer CF and/or the combination of IDY and SD with a longer CF.
Since the fermentation was so random, I plan on trying this experiment one more time. I do find it funny that even with all the changes in flours, yeasts, and routines I ended up making almost
the same pizza every time.