Author Topic: Mozza-inspired Pizza for Home Ovens  (Read 1975 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Mozza-inspired Pizza for Home Ovens
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 12:32:22 PM »
Heheh... :-D This...from the guy who posted http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.0

I suspect working on that helped my swagging skills a bit.  ;D
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 12:35:24 PM »

If you done got SWAG....I'm going home.  :-\
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2015, 01:18:40 PM »
I suspect working on that helped my swagging skills a bit.  ;D

Touché
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2015, 08:31:29 PM »
I've made a bunch of different variations of this pizza recently but have not had time to post. Forget the wheat germ and rye flour. Spelt is the way to go for this. My current formulation:

98% KAAP + 2% spelt.
75%HR
2.5% barley malt syrup
2.25% salt
0.15% IDY

Preferment 40% of the KAAP flour at 100% HR for 12 hours. Follow the rest of the directions in the first post.

This crust is awesome!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2015, 09:19:26 PM »
Spelt is the way to go for this.
Yes it is.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 01:05:07 AM »
I'll have to try spelt. I was actually messing around with some Kamut....I liked the flavor quite a bit.

I've made a bunch of different variations of this pizza recently but have not had time to post. Forget the wheat germ and rye flour. Spelt is the way to go for this. My current formulation:

98% KAAP + 2% spelt.
75%HR
2.5% barley malt syrup
2.25% salt
0.15% IDY

Preferment 40% of the KAAP flour at 100% HR for 12 hours. Follow the rest of the directions in the first post.

This crust is awesome!

Offline parallei

« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2015, 10:43:52 PM »
Yes it is.

Yes, the spelt is good!  This is tonight's pie.  72% HR overall, 30% of flour @ 100% HR as a poolish for 11 hours, 2.5% barley malt syrup, 2% salt, .25% IDY split evenly between the poolish and final dough, 3% spelt.  Hand mixed, stretch and folds @ 30 min for two hours, into fridge for 18 hours, room temp for 2 hours.  About 9 min on the 1/2 steel.  That is about 2 min too long for my tastes.  Fontina, fresh mozz, white potato, pancetta, red onion, OO, Aleppo Pepper, black pepper.

Oh yeah, GM AP flour.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2015, 09:01:34 AM »
Outstanding!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline parallei

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2015, 09:28:28 AM »
Thanks jsaras.

And thanks to Craig for the easy to do and quite tasty recipe. :chef:

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2015, 09:45:55 AM »
Nice pie. Like the topping combo. What was your oven temp?

Offline parallei

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »
Nice pie. Like the topping combo. What was your oven temp?

Thanks.  Temp was whatever 500F on convection in my old Viking is.  Didn't measure the temp on my 1/2" hunk of A36!

I was trying for crisper, but prefer not quite so crisp.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2015, 10:40:29 AM »
Paul,

Excellent job. Can you tell me what amount of dough you made and the size of pizza made from the dough?

What intrigues me about your pizza and also Craig's attempts is the large cornicione and what causes it. Is it the amount of yeast used in the preferment (0.15% IDY is a lot for an 18-hour preferment at around 68 degrees), or is it the mix/knead/stretch-and-fold protocol, or is it the shaping of the final skin to achieve the large cornicione, or is it the use of the convection feature (with a steel plate in your case), or maybe some combination of these measures? Maybe even Craig has an opinion on this.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2015, 11:11:25 AM »
What intrigues me about your pizza and also Craig's attempts is the large cornicione and what causes it. Is it the amount of yeast used in the preferment (0.15% IDY is a lot for an 18-hour preferment at around 68 degrees), or is it the mix/knead/stretch-and-fold protocol, or is it the shaping of the final skin to achieve the large cornicione, or is it the use of the convection feature (with a steel plate in your case), or maybe some combination of these measures? Maybe even Craig has an opinion on this.

That was a big part of my goal for this pie (no pun intended). I think the main driver is a higher TF with the extra dough in the cornicione. My typical NP is 275g/13"=TF 0.073. The pies in my first post were 350g/14"=TF 0.080. All the extra dough is in the cornicione. Beyond that, it has some sugar and it's a pretty well fermented dough with the RT preferment and several days CF. I'm not sure there is much more to it.

Offline parallei

« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »
Paul,

Excellent job. Can you tell me what amount of dough you made and the size of pizza made from the dough?

Peter

Hi Peter,

The pizza was 14-inch dia and I used 385g of dough.  So a TF of about 0.09.

I left about a 1-inch, plus a bit, wide strip of just oiled dough around the outside edge.  I know this because that is about how wide the brush I used to apply the oil is.  I don't remember making a special effort to  get more dough into the cornicione.  However, I was probably into glass of wine #2 by that time.

In my case, I think it is a matter of the high hydration and an almost "Tartine Bread" approach to handling the dough.  This approach gives me explosive results on the 2Stone with NP doughs also.  So, in this case it went:

- Dissolve barley malt syrup in most of the water.
- Add polish and mix well
- Add all the flour and mix with spoon or hands
- Add salt and remaining water and mix with hands
- 30 min rest
- Stretch and fold once around in the bowl
- Repeat rest/strech folds for the next 90 min.
- Ball (sort of it was pretty wet)
- Into the fridge

I want to try a Vinne's pie, so perhaps I'll loose the polish to eliminate one variable.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2015, 05:49:31 PM »
Paul,

Beautiful crumb and pie!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline parallei

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2015, 07:36:22 PM »
Paul,

Beautiful crumb and pie!

Norma

Thanks Norma.  High praise from a pro!  I still covet a "Norma's Pizza" cap! :D

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2015, 11:55:10 PM »
Hi Peter,

The pizza was 14-inch dia and I used 385g of dough.  So a TF of about 0.09.

I left about a 1-inch, plus a bit, wide strip of just oiled dough around the outside edge.  I know this because that is about how wide the brush I used to apply the oil is.  I don't remember making a special effort to  get more dough into the cornicione. 

I want to try a Vinne's pie, so perhaps I'll loose the polish to eliminate one variable.

Nice cornicione!
I bet you could easily transition this into a Vinnie pie.

Craig's ideas about a higher TF, and getting more dough into the rim make sense.
Vinnie probably could do this without even thinking about, it after so much practice. Kind of like you did, but with wine.  ;D
Charles

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2015, 12:16:32 AM »
Nice cornicione!
I bet you could easily transition this into a Vinnie pie.

Craig's ideas about a higher TF, and getting more dough into the rim make sense.
Vinnie probably could do this without even thinking about, it after so much practice. Kind of like you did, but with wine.  ;D

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking Charles! Paul may not have even tried but that seems a lot like a Vinnie pie.....
Bob

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2015, 09:09:17 AM »
Craig
Nice looking set of pizzas you've got started here!  I know you're a fan of stretch and folds and was wondering if you have it figured out why they work so well?  I've done as much reading as I could, and have done a ton of experiments comparing the fold to the mixer...and my conclusion is the folded dough wins hands down when comparing oven spring, color, heat transfer etc.  I can only guess and say it must have something to do with lining up gluten strands in one direction, while incorporating air, and fermenting at room temperature in between folds.  All I have is that guess, but I've done enough experimenting to know it's the only way I will mix dough again.  Again, great looking pizza!!

john

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2015, 09:25:40 AM »
Thanks John. I really don't know what the secret is, but I love the way it makes the dough feel and perform. I suspect incorporating air is an important, at least with respect to performance.

pizzapan