Author Topic: My fellow reballers!  (Read 8574 times)

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
Re: My fellow reballers!
« Reply #260 on: April 24, 2015, 06:19:06 PM »
yes it does  :)..Thanks for all your notes and experiments
You're very welcome.  8) 
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #261 on: April 24, 2015, 11:13:23 PM »
(John, I've got a question below about the second half of my tests.)

My late-stage balling half of the tests are done. Both my SD and IDY batches did well on their first bakes. Both had outer-ring with that eggshell thing going on. The bottom crust was firm, but tender. My straight up All Trumps IDY batch had the same chew as normal, but was very tender on the bite.

The texture, on both counts, was the real winner with both of these. Just superb. Perfect amounts of tenderness, spring, etc.

I had a concentration lapse and worked my IDY ball too much. I had to let it rest a few times during stretch. It was still an easy bite despite that. Nice!

The enhanced stickiness of the SD was not there. I'm confident lowering hydration and using a more accurate scale for the LDM did the trick. I'll see how the stretch and fold half of the tests go next week.

So, the question. I did both of these batches at 58% hydration. Both of these batches mixed a few minutes less than they do at 60% and 61%. The upcoming stretch & fold is a different beast, though. From what I've read, having higher water matters. I would normally want to do tests with the same amounts of water as the time before. Does using such a low hydration invalidate or negate what the stretch and fold is trying to accomplish? If so, should I go up a bit next week?

-Roy
Roy,
Sorry that I won't have a great answer for you.  But, what I do when I fold my dough is let the dough tell me how much I can stretch.  High hydrations let you stretch a long way, lower hydrations don't, but I pull to just before the dough tears.  And the next turn I do the same thing. You eventually get to a point where it just won't stretch and I stop.  I still prefer this method to the mixer.

John

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #262 on: April 24, 2015, 11:20:59 PM »
Thanks Ray, John--

John, I'd ask what differences you notice between home and in the shop..or are those the equivalent of each other because of the differences between a home oven and a deck oven?

Roy, thanks for all the detail. I am just a little bit confused on the regulator settings. In the first reference, you note 1 1/4 turns down from full, but in the later paragraph you compare the settings to one that's turned down 2 1/4 turns. So not quite sure where you were starting initially. 

Thanks!

I don't adjust my oven at work when I'm baking an experiment from home.  They are set to bake pizzas for the restaurant.  Since they are decks there are plenty of hot spots i can use if needed to finish the bottoms.  At home I don't have the luxury of using hot spots so I keep my oven higher always having a screen ready if the bottom browns to fast.

John

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
« Reply #263 on: April 24, 2015, 11:33:29 PM »
Roy,
Sorry that I won't have a great answer for you.  But, what I do when I fold my dough is let the dough tell me how much I can stretch.  High hydrations let you stretch a long way, lower hydrations don't, but I pull to just before the dough tears.  And the next turn I do the same thing. You eventually get to a point where it just won't stretch and I stop.  I still prefer this method to the mixer.

John
John, thanks. That's probably a much better answer than I had imagined. It gave me a clearer picture of water's affect on the stretch & folder technique.

Thanks!

Roy
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #264 on: Yesterday at 09:56:48 AM »
Thanks John..also thanks for the screen info