Author Topic: My Latest Pies  (Read 564 times)

Offline JohnnyQuest

My Latest Pies
« on: December 12, 2014, 07:02:56 PM »
I thought I'd start a thread for different pizza types, the more unusual kind.

So to kick it off, I'll start with my own from today. Just before leaving work (my wife owns a Management and Technology consulting small business, and we work together in it) I asked my wife what she wanted before dinner, and she said "Can we make pizza?"   Obviously that was something I wanted to hear! So as usual, I made two - one type she wants and one I want to experiment / try something new with.

For her, she chose a Pear & Gorganzola with a balsamic drizzle.  And for me, I made a Chorizo & Ricotta.  Both definitely made for a good night. Here's how they turned out.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: My Latest Pies
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
Johnny, so you made the dough ball, and fermented the dough and baked the pies, and ate the pies, all after work?

What emergency dough recipe did you use?

The wife's pie looks very colorful, a "salad Pizza".

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 08:27:58 PM »
Hi Mark,

I wish I had more time to learn to make dough like many of you do here on the forum.  Unfortunately, I just can't seem to do so, so this was store bought pizza dough from Kroger (the kind you see in a bag typically near the deli). While I stopped by Kroger to pick up a few things, my wife went home and turned the oven on to 550 degrees.  We have a split GE profile double oven, with a smaller oven for the top one. That allows me to keep my custom made Kingdaddy Baking Steel (thanks, Andris) in it. 

After getting home, I sat the dough out to let it warm a bit.  While that was happening, I sliced an organic Bosc pear and sautéed it in butter, them removed the sautéed slices and set them aside and fried the chorizo.

While the chorizo was frying, I formed the first dough, drizzled it with EVOO, and added a mozzarella - provolone - white cheddar blend from Restaurant Depot, added the Bosc pear slices, and then added Gorganzola and put it in the oven which by now had been preheating at 550 for an hour. I use a 6 minute bake, so while it was baking, I finished cooking the chorizo and put it on paper towels to strain the grease.
When the timer went off, I removed the first pizza from the oven, added the torn mixed greens, some Belgioso Parmesan salad blend, and then drizzled the balsamic vinegar.  After cutting it, I served a couple of slices to my wife while I let the oven reheat.

I formed the other dough, added a San Marzano sauce (I do make my own sauce when I have time and when I'm using one), added the Restaurant Depot blend cheese, then the cooked Chorizo, and then finally the Ricotta and baked it for the six minute bake.

So yes, all done after work.  And much more enjoyable than chain pizzeria pizza. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 12:02:45 AM »
Johnny, thanks for the detailed process. You are right, better than a chain, cause you did it, in your home with your ingredients. I don't know how long you were at the store but you can put a dough ball together from raw ingredient's to fermenting in 1/2 an hour. If you do it by hand, there may even be less clean up. Of course it takes a few ingredients at hand and a plan, but practice will get you there, sooner than you think. Just remember, everyone here started from the beginning, not knowing much, the one common thread is desire and the love of doing it, pizza making, that is.

Mark

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 08:24:24 AM »
Made a new one last night, Bison and Bacon.   It was a pleaser!

Cooked it on the Blackstone after modding it to incorporate a toggle switch like someone else did on the forum.  That's definitley one of the first mods that should be done on the Blackstone.  And, now is a good time to do so, as Radio Shack has them 70% off.   It's an easy mod too, just strip some of the wire coating off, cut only the black wire, and wire each cut end to the toggle switch.  Install and you're done. 

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2015, 09:13:34 AM »
Wow, great looking pie. I'm hungry!!!!!!!

Mark

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2015, 12:25:55 PM »
Johnny.....it's great to see you starting your own thread. I'm really liking the ingredients and combos that you're using. You start making your own dough and those pies will only get better and better. Great work!!
Bob

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 07:24:38 AM »
Even though we have a lot of snow on the ground still, had fun over the weekend experimenting with pizza.  I did take a shot at making dough - in lieu of using sugar, I used a Barley Malt.  My goal was a very thin crust pizza with a nice crunch to the crust, which worked pretty good.  I made a couple of different fennel sausage and mushroom pizzas, and in addition to making my own fennel sausage, I used a new spice to top it off with - Fennel Pollen.  The flavor it added was exceptional!

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 07:27:16 AM »
However, the most different pizza I made was the one Saturday, which was Bacon, Alligator and Tomato.  Tasty!

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:21:15 AM »
Johnny....just a wild guess here but......I'm pretty sure you're one of the first to use alligator on a pizza...at least that I'm aware of! What does it taste like?? And I wish I could find fennel pollen. Did you try fennel powder when we were talking about sausage? I wonder how the pollen tastes compared to the powder.....

Great looking pies!!
Bob

Offline zwarbles

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:27:58 AM »
Johnny....just a wild guess here but......I'm pretty sure you're one of the first to use alligator on a pizza...at least that I'm aware of! What does it taste like?? And I wish I could find fennel pollen. Did you try fennel powder when we were talking about sausage? I wonder how the pollen tastes compared to the powder.....

Great looking pies!!

Online.....check out Amazon....
Pat

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:47:06 AM »
Hi Capn,

Thanks! The way I cooked it, it turned out almost like chicken nuggets, it was very good.  Next time I do it I might try a different sauce, this time I just used an olive oil base as I a tomato based sauce wasn't appealing to me for that.  I might try more of a hot sauce / buffalo style next time with it.

As for the Fennel Pollen, zwarbles is right on target - my Fennel Pollen came from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BVDGGO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1   As I mentioned, I used Fennel seed in making my pork sausage (I bought plain pork sausage from Kroger and added crushed red pepper, granulated garlic, sage, and Fennel seed), which I have done before.  However, the Fennel Pollen added on top of everything before baking really made the flavor stand out.  It's definitely worth trying if you like Fennel Sausage.  Let me know if you do and what you think. 

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 12:53:52 PM »
However, the most different pizza I made was the one Saturday, which was Bacon, Alligator and Tomato.  Tasty!

Great to see some exotic ingredients, and nicely baked pies!

One curious thing to point out: down here in New Zealand I can assure you that we have NO wild alligators, the only alligators can be found in a zoo/wildlife park.   I'm certain you were eating something other than "Wild New Zealand Alligator". 

Whether that's much of a concern is of course up to you.  At best a labelling error may have slipped through somewhere in the supply chain, but I can't help but wonder if something fishy is going on with your food seller or their supplier.

Anyway, didn't mean to rain on your parade here, but thought you might like to know.

Dylan

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 01:00:57 PM »
dylandylan -
That's hilarious!  I'll have to ask Kroger why they marked it that way.  Thank you for sharing that.

PS - my favorite product out of New Zealand is the Lord of the Rings / Hobbit trilogies.  Amazing! And the land is beautiful. 

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 01:05:53 PM »
dylandylan -
That's hilarious!  I'll have to ask Kroger why they marked it that way.  Thank you for sharing that.

PS - my favorite product out of New Zealand is the Lord of the Rings / Hobbit trilogies.  Amazing! And the land is beautiful.

Yes PJ has done an incredible job getting our scenery on the world stage with those movies.   I grew up near where they now do Hobbit tours of the set for the hobbit villages...  although I've seen enough of those rolling hills to bother with the tour  :-)

I'm still one-behind with the Hobbit films, must do something about that!

Offline JohnnyQuest

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 01:25:35 PM »
If you're behind by one, that must be the last one, which IMHO was the best of that series.  It's definitely worth seeing. My wife and I saw it in 3D.

Offline dylandylan

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 03:33:29 PM »
If you're behind by one, that must be the last one, which IMHO was the best of that series.  It's definitely worth seeing. My wife and I saw it in 3D.

Good to hear, I'll move it up the list.