Author Topic: Bosch Compact Mixing Help Request  (Read 156 times)

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
Bosch Compact Mixing Help Request
« on: August 21, 2014, 02:07:52 PM »
I have been mixing with my Bosch Compact for quite awhile and I feel that either it is not mixing properly or maybe I am not using it properly.

I put together a short video of my mixing stages. I would greatly appreciate any help, feedback, suggestions, etc. after viewing the video.

<a href="http://youtu.be/McP462FgoOM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtu.be/McP462FgoOM</a>

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Offline Jackitup

Re: Bosch Compact Mixing Help Request
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 03:15:26 PM »
Looks just a bit overloaded to me. For bigger batches the Bosch Universal Plus says it can handle twice the amount of dough at 15lbs, the compact is 6 pounds. How much did that dough ball weigh? Also will vary with hydration and such. My 2c

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 03:28:16 PM »
Looks just a bit overloaded to me. For bigger batches the Bosch Universal Plus says it can handle twice the amount of dough at 15lbs, the compact is 6 pounds. How much did that dough ball weigh? Also will vary with hydration and such. My 2c

jon

Jon,
The dough ball was just under 4 lbs which seems like it should have been OK. Hydration was 63%
Tom

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 03:54:06 PM »
Tom, I use that mixer also. I have done 3 balls at once maybe 900g total weight. I think it works best with 2 balls up to 700 g or even one ball, which is what I normally do. I would do 2 batches with that amount of dough and see if you like the results better.

Specifically why do you think it isn't mixing properly, or you are not doing it properly. What is the end result and how can it be improved?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »
Orangeman,
This is just an anecdotal reference point as I do not have your mixer - I have a KA Artisan.  However, I regularly make 4-5 pound batches with the c-hook. What I notice is that your mixer does ALL the work that I have to do with hand kneading after I incorporate the initial ingredients together.  8)  I am at 64 - 68% hydration but my final dough after hand kneading looks similar to yours in your Bosch!

Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 04:03:02 PM »
I just responded to Tom in a PM (as he messaged me concurrently with posting this).  As I told him, that looks about right to me for how my Bosch Compact performs with my standard batch.  My standard batch is 1000g Caputo 00 at between 59-62% HD, mixed at lowest speed in the Bosch Compact Mixer for 3.5 minutes.  I then ball it into a rough shaggy ball,  then it sits covered for an hour or a bit more, then I ball it into one big smooth ball and place into a covered bowl and bulk ferment at cool room temp (60-65 F) overnight.  Sometime the next morning I divide and ball into tight smooth individual balls and then ferment again in trays.  This works well for me, and I do not feel I'm overloading the machine. 

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 04:37:49 PM »
Specifically why do you think it isn't mixing properly, or you are not doing it properly. What is the end result and how can it be improved?

Mark
Mark, to me it looks like it is doing more of spinning the ball around than it is digging in and kneading the dough. I've had some trouble opening my dough balls and my suspicion is that if I had better mixing, this might make it easier.

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 06:47:25 PM »
Tom, I agree with your assessment of what it looks like. With my smaller batch I am frequently pushing the dough down the hook with a spatula and encouraging it to allow the hook to work the inside of the dough. Getting the dough ball to open nicely IMO is the culmination of the entire mixing, kneading, fermenting and resting process. As well as the mix of ingredients in your dough. I have found for myself, that I stop mixing at a certain time based on what I interpret as gluten development. I realize there are many here who do things differently but so far I like the results. Not that I haven't tried many variations of formula as well as mixing and kneading times and methods.
I would still suggest you uses at least 1/2 the batch size and see how you like it. If you find no benefit then you can resume status quo.

mark

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »
Mark, to me it looks like it is doing more of spinning the ball around than it is digging in and kneading the dough. I've had some trouble opening my dough balls and my suspicion is that if I had better mixing, this might make it easier.

That's what I thought you meant. Even with my KA, if I end up with too large of a ball the hook will spin in the middle and not turn the dough over. Better now that I use a spiral hook design. Like Mark said, see if smaller batches knead better, even 25% less should make a difference if you don't want to go the full 50% less as Mark suggests

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline woodmakesitgood

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 11:59:52 PM »
Is there a spiral attachment for the Bosch compact?

Online orangeman1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 12:04:31 AM »
No, there isn't, just the hook and 2 whisk attachments for stirring and beating.

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 12:06:07 AM »

There is a dough hook and 2whipping tools, at least last time I looked.

pizzapan