Author Topic: My Pizza Story - The 5 hour Pizza  (Read 156 times)

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
My Pizza Story - The 5 hour Pizza
« on: September 28, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »
I have been messing around for years trying to make no-fuss pizza dough relatively quickly that suit my familys needs.  Well, I think I have finally worked out what I was trying to do and this recipe consistently makes a great pizza.

The basis of the pizza is using 31.5% Ischia Starter, Instant Dried Yeast, Diastatic Malt Pure and Powdered Malt Extract.  I make four pizzas at a time at 470g each (dough weight) with the following recipe.

Initial Activation/Rest
Ischia Starter   600g (refreshened in the morning see *Note below)
Water   350g
Macadamia Oil   30g
Diastatic Malt Pure   10g
Powdered Malt Extract   30g
Instant Dried Yeast   5g
Flour - Pizza Flour Allied Mills   600g

Final Dough
Fine Sea Salt    30g
Flour - Pizza Flour Allied Mills   250g

*Note:  I have 900g of Ischia Starter in the fridge at all times, I use or dump 600g of the starter and refresh it once a week normally Saturday morning around 8:00am for Pizza night.  I leave the refreshened Starter out on the bench until 2:30pm until I start making the pizza dough - the Ischia Starter is probably halfway to becoming fully active.  I start cooking the first pizza at 7:30pm.

The other ingredients used during the process are;
Tomato Base 3 cans @ Val Verde Organic diced tomatoes (400g) put in a sieve but not sieved so that most of the liquid drained is drained away + 1 tsp salt +1 tsp sugar, then a hand blender.
Cheese 2 @ La Casa Del Formaggio Soft Mozzarella Cheese 450g + Zanetti Firm Parmesan Cheese Grana Padano 100g
Fine Semolina for the wooden pizza paddle
Canola Cooking Spray a fine sprayed on top of the base, especially around crust before the sauce is put on.
Cold Beer for me when Im cooking  :drool:

Procedure

• At 2:30pm I place all the ingredients listed above under Initial Activation/Rest in my Kenwood mixer (dough hook attached) and mix until just combined for about one minute I then rest the covered dough for 30 minutes.
  • I then put away my Ischia Starter with a new refresh (an extra 300g flour and 300 water) back into the refrigerator.
  • After the 30 minutes has passed I add the Final Dough ingredients (combined prior) and mix the dough on low speed for 5~6 minutes.
  • I then bulk ferment the dough (covered) for about 1.5 hours.
  • Around 4:15pm I divide up the bulk into individual dough balls into 4 balls at approximately 470g each.  I spray cooking spray into each bowel before the balls go in and then after as well.  I then cover each bowl with cling-wrap.
  • The balls stay like this at room temperature until I am ready to use them.  They normally would have at least doubled in size.

In the pictures below the gas pizza oven was at 425 C or 800 F and the pizza stone was at 311 C or 592 F.  The pizza was a Prawn and Basil with a sprinkle of Lemon Pepper.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:19:15 PM by Wazza McG »
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Online Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: My Pizza Story - The 5 hour Pizza
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »
Nice! 

Offline moose13

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:54:39 PM »
Is this your emergency dough or your normal routine?

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:33:54 AM »
It's both really, if I want to do a 24 hour ferment I simply put it the fridge after the bulk ferment (1.5 hrs)
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

pizzapan