Author Topic: Rolling Mozzarella  (Read 298 times)

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
Rolling Mozzarella
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:49:44 AM »
After ogling the various Johnny's clone threads, I decided I wanted to eat some of them.  I'm not a huge fan of the Boar's Head stuff, which is the only kind they sell at the counter at my local grocery, so I can't get my favorite Saputo stuff sliced for me.

I tried slicing a loaf myself, and while some of the slices were pretty thin they were also uneven, which made saucing the pies more difficult.  So I was wondering whether anyone had tried slicing low moisture mozzarella and then rolling the slices out with a rolling pin. 
Josh

Offline quixoteQ

• Supporting Member
  • Give me Shackleton Every Time
Re: Rolling Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 07:38:57 AM »
Well, it doesn't seem as if anyone has an overwhelming amount of experience in this particular department, so I figured I would just give it a go.  Results: inconclusive.  I could only roll out the WMM so thin before it became impossible to remove the cheese from the rolling pin.  In addition, since the entire point was to get the cheese flat enough so I could spoon the sauce on top of the flat layer of cheese, I had to deal with the post-roll tendency of the cheese slices to curl up--not particularly fun.

Next attempt: mandolin-style cheese slicer.
Josh

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
Re: Rolling Mozzarella
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:13:14 PM »
What is it exactly you are trying to accomplish?  I am a neophyte here, but I have had great "success" putting mozzarella in a rotary grater.  I find that even though it is wet, it shreds very nicely and allows me to get great coverage with less cheese.  Here are two of my pies made this way.

pizzapan