Author Topic: Using beer in your pizza dough  (Read 79346 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Using beer in your pizza dough
« Reply #220 on: October 09, 2012, 01:49:16 PM »
Look'in good Tom.  ;)
What was your handling procedure after balling up the 3 dough balls?

After making the smaller dough balls, I immediately bag those that I will not use at the moment and let them continue to proof in the fridge. Because I use Pendleton Power Flour, they can last longer in the fridge, due to the high gluten and protein in the flour.

I used to press the dough balls out on a large white cutting board, but now I can press them out directly on my new Quartz counter tops. I clean the counter top very well and them sprinkle a little amount of all purpose flour on the counter.

During the press out process, the dough will stick to the counter top making it easy to press out. I will flip the dough over, adding a little more flour on the counter. The dough pressing process is like using all ten fingers on your key board. It leaves a “Waffle Marking” on the dough. This eliminates the need to dock the dough. (Those who hand toss their dough in the air might disagree with this method, but keep in mind, I am cooking this on a pizza screen in a home oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. I do not have access to a commercial pizza oven or wood fire oven at this time.)

Near completion of the dough being pressed out, I place a pizza screen over the dough to measure the size. With a pizza screen, the dough can be shaped to fit it even if your pressed out dough is larger than the screen. The cooked pizza dough turns out fantastic. Light and bubbly effect with a very nice crust.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 06:57:48 PM by TomN »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #221 on: October 09, 2012, 06:46:01 PM »
Thanks Tom...gotta love those multi-tasking countertops.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2012, 12:51:10 AM »
Getting ready for weekend Pizza. I made dough tonight using a beer called, SUPPLICATION. It is made by the Russian River Brewing Company, the same company that makes Pliny the Elder IPA beer. This beer has been barrel aged for 12 to 15 months in used Pinot Noir wine barrels. Also, they add cherries to the beer brewing process and it gives this beer a sour taste, IMO.

I wanted to try this beer in my pizza dough one time. I say one time because the beer cost $12 for a 12.68 Fl OZ bottle. Not one that I want to drink either, but i said that about Samuel Adams barley wine beer and it produced a really fantastic tasting dough. So, I will see how it turns out and give you a report after the 24 hour cold rise.

Here is what their website says:

http://russianriverbrewing.com/brews/supplication/
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 01:02:21 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2012, 12:56:21 AM »
I always give my dough ball a light coating of Extra Virgin Olive Oil before I bag it for the 24 cold rise.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2012, 11:17:18 PM »
I gave the dough 48 hours to cold rise and develop more flavor. I liked how this pizza dough turned out. The smell of the dough (before cooking it) had that sour cherry smell, which was really nice. I can NOT say that the cherry flavor came through but the dough texture was really nice and it worked very well. I would use this beer again if the price was not at $12.00 plus tax. I understand the pricing since the beer was aged for 12 to 15 months in used Pinot Noir wine barrels. However, it is a one time bottle for me as far as dough making goes.

I made two pizzas and a third pizza the next day. In the photo, I have a finished pizza out of the oven and one ready to be made. Fortunately, i had an extra bottle of Pliny the Elder on hand to have with the pizza.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:19:18 PM by TomN »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2012, 11:26:15 PM »
That is a picture perfect pizza Tom...sounds like you had fun experimenting with that high $$ beer.It had better be good, right?!!  >:D
Thanks for telling us how it turned out... :chef:

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #226 on: October 17, 2012, 06:46:58 AM »
Wow dude, pouring a bottle of supplication into your dough...

Have you thought about brewing up something of your own? That way you could have your beer and drink it too  ;D

Offline Zing

« Reply #227 on: October 18, 2012, 05:44:33 AM »

I should probably save the following comments for another thread (and perhaps I will later), but I tried a whole milk DANISH style Mozzarella cheese on my dough made with the beer. I did this because I know of two different Pizzerias that say this type of cheese is what sets their pizza apart. One is by Sorrento and the other is by a company called Olympic.  I did try the Olympic Danish Mozzarella. I purchased it at a local cheese shop. Although it does not say Olympic, it is Olympic Brand cheese. It might be that the distributor is under contract to sell only to restaurants and thus re-wrapped it with their label. Either way, it was a great way to top off my pizza dough made with extra ingredients. I will include some photos of the cheese.

After not finding a current phone number or web site for Olympic Cheese, I did a little research and think the name is/was Olympia Cheese. It looks like Olympia was bought by Lactalis/Sorrento around 1999:

http://www.research-store.com/ibcasia/News/j_r_simplot_and_besnier_sign_letter_of_intent?productid=AE66FF8E-DEF1-421C-98A9-C8E7FBC5D38A

Other online sources indicate the Olympia plant in Lacey, WA was closed.

So, Petersen seems to be selling private-labeled Sorrento just like Costco sells private labeled Sorrento.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
Thank you Zing!!!

I really appreciate your research on this.

Thanks again
TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #229 on: October 23, 2012, 01:10:58 AM »
The Reverend by Avery Brewing Company. This beer is classified as a Belgian Style Quadrupel Ale. Complex and layered with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, according to Avery Brewing Co.  I found it to be very similar to a Double Bock, although a bit less sweet. I can already tell that this will make a great pizza dough. However, I will let you know after it has at least a 24 hour cold rise proofing time in the fridge.  

If you look at the photos, you can see the color of this beer is a bit darker and thus the dough is a little darker too, but not much darker.  (The picture of the dough ball has not yet been lightly coated with Extra Virgin Olive Oil.)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:14:36 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #230 on: October 23, 2012, 01:11:29 AM »
Other photos
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:14:13 AM by TomN »

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #231 on: October 23, 2012, 01:40:41 AM »
TomN What flour is that you're using?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #233 on: October 27, 2012, 04:08:05 PM »
The Reverend by Avery Brewing Company made fantastic dough. I made two different pizzas with the dough. One night i made two standard pepperoni pizza the next night borrowed a recipe from the Cooking Light cookbook for just the toppings.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #234 on: October 27, 2012, 04:09:01 PM »
Photo of the toppings that was recommended by the cookbook.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:18:41 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #235 on: October 27, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »
2 1/2 tablespoons of Olive oil
2 six ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 four ounce link sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
1/4 cup vertically sliced onion
4 ounces of mushrooms
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
4 ounces of Fontina cheese (I used Beechers Flagship cheese and Mozzarella Cheese)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
3/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

It turned out very good although next time I will use fresh basil instead of the parsley and thyme. IMO

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #236 on: October 27, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
Toppings look pretty but dough IMHO appears to be a gum layered muck.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #237 on: October 28, 2012, 02:53:33 AM »
Deep sigh...
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:10:11 PM by TomN »

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #238 on: October 29, 2012, 01:03:46 AM »
I think you're seeing a layer of olive oil or cheese. This is a white pizza and without the sauce it's hard to tell where the toppings end and crust begins. More importantly Tom, how did she taste?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #239 on: October 29, 2012, 01:46:50 AM »
The pizza tasted really good. However, next time I will use fresh basil instead of the parsley and thyme. IMO, those two spices did not work well together. This Beer worked really well with the dough and the Beecher's Flagship cheese always adds to the flavor.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 01:49:49 AM by TomN »