Author Topic: Using beer in your pizza dough  (Read 80022 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: Using beer in your pizza dough
« Reply #760 on: December 07, 2013, 01:43:01 AM »
Enjoyed the dough made with Samuel Adams Juniper IPA Special Release. I tried a few things different. I let the dough take a full 45 mins to get to room temperature and found that it baked thicker than my regular thin crust pizza.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #761 on: December 07, 2013, 01:46:45 AM »
Also, i tried a sweeter Pizza Sauce made by Stanislaus Foods called Super Dolce. It is a thicker sweet sauce that I had to actually thin out with water and EVOO. I also added some honey.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 12:51:50 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #762 on: December 07, 2013, 01:48:08 AM »
Also enjoyed my toppings.

Sausage, Bacon, Caramelized Sweet Onions, and cooked mushrooms in white wine and butter.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:50:12 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #763 on: December 07, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »
A few photos the dough that I forgot to add.  Also, you can see why this sauce has to be watered down. Very thick, but very sweet. there are a lot of basil leaves throughout the sauce as well.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #764 on: December 07, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »
Also enjoyed my toppings.

Sausage, Bacon, Caramelized Sweet Onions, and cooked mushrooms in white wine and butter.
I'm curious Tom....have you ever tried baking a pie on one of your great crusts without pre-cooking all of the toppings?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #765 on: December 08, 2013, 03:02:11 PM »
Hi Bob,

I have used toppings many times without precooking them. However, I love the flavor in the precooked toppings best.

EXAMPLES:
The Flat Sweet Onions can be sauteed in butter and some brown sugar, on low heat for about 25 mins or more to get that caramelized flavor.

The Mushrooms cooked in Butter, EVOO, and a little white wine, produces a extra tasty mushroom flavor.

I always precook the sausage, although know a few Pizzeria that put it on the pizza raw and it is cooked as it bakes.

If i am in a hurry to get the pizza made, then i do not cook them, (Except the sausage)

TomN
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:29:11 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #766 on: December 08, 2013, 03:12:58 PM »
Bob,

This is a photo of a slice of sausage pizza from the Pizzeria that bakes the raw sausage on their pizza. With the right oven and thin slice of sausage, it can be done.  I must say that it is good pizza.

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #767 on: December 19, 2013, 12:53:53 AM »
Wild At Heart - American Wild Ale - Ommegang Brewery, Cooperstown, N.Y.

Made dough tonight with Wild at Heart Ale / Beer. It had a very distinct tart Fruity taste that is great for dough making. A bit pricey for this 750ml bottle, but a very nice beer.

The Beer:
look under the limited Release Beers

http://www.ommegang.com/#

The Dough Recipe:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.msg245184.html#msg245184
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:02:53 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #768 on: December 19, 2013, 12:55:44 AM »
Other photos

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #769 on: December 19, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »
Hi Tom,
  As it has been almost 40 pages now, do you think you could do a beer ranking of all the beers that you've tried?  I's also be interested to know if you preferred the super dolce to the pizzaiolo sauce.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #770 on: December 19, 2013, 05:14:50 PM »
Hello DustinA,

I will have to do a beer ranking soon. This might be difficult since each beer offers it's own unique brewing style and taste.

About the pizza sauces:

Both Pizzaiolo and Super Dolce are made by Stanislaus Foods, CA. However, my family, friends, and myself prefer Pizzaiolo Pizza Sauce. Pizzaiolo offer that Authentic Italian taste. Super Dolce is very sweet and it has to be special ordered from a distributor. The Pizzeria friend that gave me a can, uses it to make a Sicilian Style Pizza. He even adds honey to make it sweeter. Also, Super Dolce is very thick and has to be watered down a bit. Pizzaiolo can be used straight from the can to your pizza without adding anything. Although, I do know another pizzeria that uses 1/3 of a can of Tomato Puree per one can of Pizziaolo. (# 10 sized cans) Again, it all depends on your personal taste, preference and the style of pizza your trying to make. However, I have never been disappointed with Pizzaiolo right out of the can.

TomN
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 02:21:16 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #771 on: December 20, 2013, 01:29:53 AM »
Made pizza tonight using the dough made with Wild At Heart - American Wild Ale. It had only a 24 hour cold rise, but still was very good. I was in the mood for a meat lovers pizza.  The ingredients on the pizza were:
Pizzaiolo Pizza Sauce,
Parmesan Cheese, Fresh Asiago Cheese & Romano Cheese - a shredded three cheese blend
Hot Italian Sausage - cooked
Pepperoni - sliced up in small chucks
Canadian Bacon - sliced up into small chucks
Dried Basil - sprinkled on the pizza
Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese - to cover the top of the ingredients
Provolone Cheese - small amount sliced into long strips and placed over the mozzarella cheese

Baked at 425 for 15 minutes, on a pizza screen, in my home oven.  I was very happy with this pizza

PS
I am loving how you can expand the photos by clicking on them. No more having to re-size the photos before posting either.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 02:42:36 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #772 on: December 21, 2013, 07:22:55 PM »
Hop Henge Experimental IPA - Deschutes Brewery - 2013/2014 Release featuring Chinook and Experimental Hops.

Made dough last night with Hop Hedge Experimental IPA. I like the flavor that IPA beers give the dough and this beer also adds it.

The Beer:

http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brew/hop-henge

The Dough Recipe:

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #773 on: December 23, 2013, 01:49:06 AM »
Enjoyed the dough made with Hop Henge Experimental IPA - Deschutes Brewery. I made three of my favorite pizza for friends. They traveled well in pizza boxes.
Pizza # 1

Garlic Pizza / White Bianca Pizza
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:50:43 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #774 on: December 23, 2013, 01:50:04 AM »
Pizza # 2

Spinach and Ricotta Pizza

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #775 on: December 23, 2013, 01:51:55 AM »
Pizza # 3

Meat Lovers Pizza - this time I added onions, sauteed mushrooms, and red peppers as well.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 05:30:36 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #776 on: December 24, 2013, 02:41:31 AM »
Had one dough ball left over in the fridge and a request for a mushroom pizza. I liked this pizza. Plain and simple, but full of flavor.

Also, these were Baby Bella's and I did not cook the mushrooms this time around.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:41:20 AM by TomN »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #777 on: December 24, 2013, 10:01:02 AM »
Had one dough ball left over in the fridge and a request for a mushroom pizza. I liked this pizza. plain and simple, but full of flavor.

Also, these were Baby Bella's and I did not cook the mushrooms this time around.
Yay!  :)   That is a handsome pizza right there.  :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #778 on: December 24, 2013, 11:49:05 AM »
While I thought that I had extra mushrooms on top of the pizza, I forgot that they would shrink down in the cooking process. Next time, I will be piling them up higher. I have gotten used to cooking everything first.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #779 on: December 30, 2013, 12:23:03 AM »
Emergency Dough Recipe

I used my last dough ball yesterday, but someone wanted pizza today. Rather than run out to my favorite pizzeria and buy dough, I decided to make a emergency dough ball instead. I followed my standard beer pizza dough recipe and used Blue Moon that I had on hand. After coating the three usual 12.5 oz dough balls with EVOO, I bagged two of them for a two day cold rise. I placed one of the dough balls in a metal bowl and covered it with a dish towel. I kept it at room temperature for just over 3 hours.

While I love the two day cold rise for flavor development, I was very happy with the 3 hour room temperature rise. The beer still flavors the dough and it pressed out very well. Also, I will do this again without hesitation since the dough turned out so good. I also used an Supremo Italiano Mozzarella & Provolone cheese blend that I purchased at Restaurant Depot. This had a very nice flavor, but i do not see myself running out and purchasing it again.

I just wanted to let others know that you can make a good emergency pizza dough with this recipe.

TomN
PS
You might even consider putting a sign in your kitchen that reads: Dough Made Fresh Daily

The Dough Recipe:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 12:49:48 PM by TomN »