Author Topic: Using beer in your pizza dough  (Read 137237 times)

Offline TomN

Re: Using beer in your pizza dough
« Reply #925 on: July 23, 2014, 01:41:38 AM »
I did enjoy the dough made with Widmer Brothers -Barrel Aged Ale - BRRRBON '13 - Winter 2013- Limited Edition. I used it for a party at a friend's house. I would use this beer again.

Offline TomN

« Reply #926 on: July 23, 2014, 01:52:21 AM »
Samuel Adams -Honey Queen - Braggot

Made dough last night with this beer. Even with only a 24 hour cold rise, the dough was fantastic. i loved the flavor of this beer and what it did for the dough. i got a lot of compliments on the dough and people even asked what beer i used this time. The beer is seasonal, but I will try to purchase more for dough making before it's gone.

Offline TomN

« Reply #927 on: July 23, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »
You might try this sometime. Go to your favorite BBQ place and purchase some BBQ Sauce and Beef.  Spread the BBQ sauce on your dough like you normally would with pizza sauce, add the BBQ beef, onions, and cover it with whole milk Mozzarella Cheese.  I loved this pizza. Make sure you go to a place that you love the way they make their BBQ. All this mixed with the dough made with SA Honey Queen beer, made a fantastic pizza. (I also had a piece of BBQ chicken, but made a BBQ beef pizza first)

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #928 on: July 23, 2014, 12:03:48 PM »
Great idea. Easy too!

Offline TomN

« Reply #929 on: July 28, 2014, 11:44:26 PM »
New Belgium Rampant Imperial India Pale Ale

A nice inexpensive IPA with flavor. I like what it did for my pizza dough.

Offline TomN

« Reply #930 on: July 28, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »
I get so many requests for the White Bianca / Garlic Pizza, that i make it regularly. You can see the crust made with the New Belgium Rampant Imperial India Pale Ale.

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #931 on: July 28, 2014, 11:50:29 PM »
Given all the different beers you have tried in pizza dough, what is the best style of beer to use, in your opinion?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TomN

« Reply #932 on: August 05, 2014, 06:14:36 PM »
Hi Craig,

I looked through my thread and recalled all the beers that I have used over the years. I can not really say that I have a favorite. I think it really depends on the topping that your trying to pair it with or the beer that your in the mood for at the moment. However, each beer has it's own flavor that come through in the dough. Also, some beers require more in the recipe and some less due to their structure. So, whether it is a Double Bock / Doppelbock, Belgian, ESB, Hefeweizen, Tripel or Quadrupel Ale,  Barley Wine Ale, Octoberfest beer, IPA, or Beer Aged in Wine or Bourbon Barrels, or any other style, each provides a unique flavor in the dough. I have had a lot of fun doing this and I will continue to experiment.

TomN
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:17:33 PM by TomN »

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #933 on: August 05, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »
Do you find some beers go better with certain toppings? Or is the topping beer-independent?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #934 on: August 05, 2014, 11:28:52 PM »
It's been my experience that is goes best with anything GREASY!

I am really digging the Red Hook ESB. If you culture yeast meant for an ESB style, it tends to have the most flavor IMO.

Offline TomN

« Reply #935 on: August 06, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
Do you find some beers go better with certain toppings? Or is the topping beer-independent?

I find that certain styles of beer go better with certain toppings. Also, it is nice to serve the same beer that you made pizza dough along with the pizza that your having. There are many books dedicated to Beer and Food pairing to use as a resource.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #936 on: August 07, 2014, 07:54:26 PM »
Couldn't help but remember your beer pies while preparing dough this evening.  For the first time ever I'll be using beer in my pizza dough ;)

For my maiden voyage into unchartered barley and hop hydrated territory - I'm using a readily available pilsen from Petropolis, Rio de Janeiro (excellent quality mineral water) called "Itaipava". http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/10214/19970/?ba=fmccormi

I'll share results here tomorrow, if all goes as planned.  So far I've incorporated 1 kilo of flour into 670 ml of the Itaipava pilsen (autolyse). Looks and smells good, so far!
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TomN

« Reply #937 on: August 07, 2014, 07:56:07 PM »
Remember that the cold rise works the best when using beer. Can't wait to see your pizza.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #938 on: August 07, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »

Remember that the cold rise works the best when using beer. Can't wait to see your pizza.
Tom,
You are the expert with beer in dough. I don't know if I mentioned that in the last 3 dough batches I've made with beer - all have been made with SD starter of 13% or less (dough made today has 7.5%) and fermented at between 58 and 68 degrees for durations using TXCraig1's table for guidance.  The doughs have been 66-70% hydration FWIW.   

No added IDY/ADY/CY. Have you done experiments with controlled temp rises that did not work?  Are you speaking of only typical refrigerator temps?
Just curious. I know I liked the result. It seems to work. Thanks in advance!
Prost,
Don
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 09:11:37 PM by Donjo911 »
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #939 on: August 07, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
Cold rise it shall be.  I settled on the following formula:

100% AP flour (12% protein listed on the label - Santa Luzia brand)
67% Itaipava Pilsen
1.8% salt
1.5% sugar
1.8% light EVOO
.5% fresh CY (crumbled and moistened with a few drops of water to form a paste)

I'm pretty excited about this ;D

Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #940 on: August 12, 2014, 10:06:42 PM »
I topped the pie with chunks of braised oxtail, sliced onions & a bunch of diced chilli peppers (pimenta dedo de moça). Sauce was passata, cheese whole milk mozz.  Dough prepared on the 7th (Wednesday), pie baked on the 10th (Sunday).

Here's how my maiden voyage into beer hydrated dough came out:
Il miglior fabbro

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #941 on: August 12, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »
Beautiful Johnny!!
Bob

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #942 on: August 13, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »
TomN,
I wonder something that you may be able to explain better than anyone on the forum.  I bought some beer that I'm not a huge fan of.  It's not a bad beer - not a cheap beer. In fact, you've used some of the same brewer's product in your dough production.  As someone who has not used very hoppy beer as a ingredient for dough before, yet at the same time someone who loves what a beer can bring to the flavor (texture?) of the dough - I wonder what impact any specific beer has on overall taste.  I have made dough's with three different beers similar to the London Pride, Wells ESB, etc., I made on this thread.  I'm not worried about the outcome - I"m happy to test it to see what comes.  Keep in mind while you contemplate the answer that I am using a natural culture that has little taste - as well as purchased starters like SF, Ischia, & Camaldoli, that do bring their own flavor to the party. In each case, they are controlled fermented over 24-36 hours according to the % of starter used.  Given you 100's of experiments - I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.  PS - I'm making dough in the AM so if you happen to see this and get to answer before noon on Thursday - that's extra appreciated but, appreciated all the way around! 

Prost,
Don
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:21:53 PM by Donjo911 »
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline TomN

« Reply #943 on: August 20, 2014, 12:02:54 AM »
Hi Don,

I have been using and will still be using my vacation time from work, during the month of August.  So,  I have not been on the forum that much this month. In regards to beer in the dough, this is not something that I invented, but learned from many Pizzerias in my area that use beer in their dough. I know of many pizzerias that use beer in their dough making, for the flavor and texture that it adds to the dough. Three pizzerias that come to mind use different beers. One uses ESB by Red Hook, a second pizzeria uses a different beer each month, but likes Blue moon the best. A third uses Bud light to cut the beer costs, but swears by the flavor and texture concept. i like to trade out beers for the fun of it and to experiment. I have also found good results by pairing the beer with the toppings on my pizza.  Also, i have stood in the pizzerias and watched customers drink the same beer that the dough of the pizza was made with, as they eat their pizza. (So cool.) Finally, if you did a side by side comparison, a pizza made without beer and a pizza made with beer, you would notice the difference and choose the dough made with beer.  At least that has been my experience. i am sure there are those that disagree and are entitled to their opinions and palate taste. Hope that helps.

TomN
PS
I have another week of vacation coming up from my marketing job.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:06:37 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

« Reply #944 on: August 20, 2014, 12:08:48 AM »
Johny the Gent.

Great looking dough and pizza. Wish i could try a piece.

TomN

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #945 on: August 21, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »
Thanks Tom!  I'm glad I gave it a try.   ;)
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TomN

« Reply #946 on: September 06, 2014, 07:24:53 PM »
Took a break with all the vacation time from work, but here is one that I forgot to post.  I really enjoyed this beer and will use it again. Great for dough making and drinking.

Sierra Nevada - Southern Hemisphere HARVEST Fresh Hop IPA -

The Beer:

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/harvest-fresh-hop-ipa-southern-hemisphere-harvest

The Recipe:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17415.msg245184#msg245184

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:30:40 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

« Reply #947 on: September 06, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
Made my favorite White Bianca Garlic pizza.  Always a crowd-pleaser.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #948 on: September 06, 2014, 10:04:44 PM »
Welcome back Tom! Wondered where you went........ That looks delicious!
Bob

Offline TomN

« Reply #949 on: September 14, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »
Thanks Bob.

pizzapan