Author Topic: Using beer in your pizza dough  (Read 88588 times)

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
Re: Using beer in your pizza dough
« Reply #940 on: August 12, 2014, 10:06:42 PM »
I topped the pie with chunks of braised oxtail, sliced onions & a bunch of diced chilli peppers (pimenta dedo de moça). Sauce was passata, cheese whole milk mozz.  Dough prepared on the 7th (Wednesday), pie baked on the 10th (Sunday).

Here's how my maiden voyage into beer hydrated dough came out:
Il miglior fabbro

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #941 on: August 12, 2014, 11:12:11 PM »
Beautiful Johnny!!

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #942 on: August 13, 2014, 09:19:16 PM »
TomN,
I wonder something that you may be able to explain better than anyone on the forum.  I bought some beer that I'm not a huge fan of.  It's not a bad beer - not a cheap beer. In fact, you've used some of the same brewer's product in your dough production.  As someone who has not used very hoppy beer as a ingredient for dough before, yet at the same time someone who loves what a beer can bring to the flavor (texture?) of the dough - I wonder what impact any specific beer has on overall taste.  I have made dough's with three different beers similar to the London Pride, Wells ESB, etc., I made on this thread.  I'm not worried about the outcome - I"m happy to test it to see what comes.  Keep in mind while you contemplate the answer that I am using a natural culture that has little taste - as well as purchased starters like SF, Ischia, & Camaldoli, that do bring their own flavor to the party. In each case, they are controlled fermented over 24-36 hours according to the % of starter used.  Given you 100's of experiments - I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.  PS - I'm making dough in the AM so if you happen to see this and get to answer before noon on Thursday - that's extra appreciated but, appreciated all the way around! 

Prost,
Don
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:21:53 PM by Donjo911 »
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #943 on: August 20, 2014, 12:02:54 AM »
Hi Don,

I have been using and will still be using my vacation time from work, during the month of August.  So,  I have not been on the forum that much this month. In regards to beer in the dough, this is not something that I invented, but learned from many Pizzerias in my area that use beer in their dough. I know of many pizzerias that use beer in their dough making, for the flavor and texture that it adds to the dough. Three pizzerias that come to mind use different beers. One uses ESB by Red Hook, a second pizzeria uses a different beer each month, but likes Blue moon the best. A third uses Bud light to cut the beer costs, but swears by the flavor and texture concept. i like to trade out beers for the fun of it and to experiment. I have also found good results by pairing the beer with the toppings on my pizza.  Also, i have stood in the pizzerias and watched customers drink the same beer that the dough of the pizza was made with, as they eat their pizza. (So cool.) Finally, if you did a side by side comparison, a pizza made without beer and a pizza made with beer, you would notice the difference and choose the dough made with beer.  At least that has been my experience. i am sure there are those that disagree and are entitled to their opinions and palate taste. Hope that helps.

TomN
PS
I have another week of vacation coming up from my marketing job.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:06:37 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #944 on: August 20, 2014, 12:08:48 AM »
Johny the Gent.

Great looking dough and pizza. Wish i could try a piece.

TomN

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #945 on: August 21, 2014, 07:28:59 PM »
Thanks Tom!  I'm glad I gave it a try.   ;)
Il miglior fabbro

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #946 on: September 06, 2014, 07:24:53 PM »
Took a break with all the vacation time from work, but here is one that I forgot to post.  I really enjoyed this beer and will use it again. Great for dough making and drinking.

Sierra Nevada - Southern Hemisphere HARVEST Fresh Hop IPA -

The Beer:

http://www.sierranevada.com/beer/specialty/harvest-fresh-hop-ipa-southern-hemisphere-harvest

The Recipe:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=17415.msg245184#msg245184

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:30:40 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #947 on: September 06, 2014, 07:30:04 PM »
Made my favorite White Bianca Garlic pizza.  Always a crowd-pleaser.

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #948 on: September 06, 2014, 10:04:44 PM »
Welcome back Tom! Wondered where you went........ That looks delicious!

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #949 on: September 14, 2014, 02:36:58 PM »
Thanks Bob.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #950 on: September 15, 2014, 01:08:42 AM »
Pyramid IPL - India Pale Lager

I really was surprise by this beer. It had a wonderful flavor and worked very well in dough making.

The Beer:

http://www.pyramidbrew.com/our-brews/ipl/

The Recipe:

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #951 on: September 15, 2014, 01:11:13 AM »
After a two day cold rise, I was very pleased with the dough.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #952 on: September 15, 2014, 01:17:25 AM »
One of the three pizzas was a meat lovers pizza. I choose to use Sweet sausage, and pieces of Tri-Tip steak that I cooked on my BBQ grill. I sliced the pizza into smaller slices so it could be served with other foods and wine that night. I will use this beer again.  :chef:

The sauce is Pizzaiolo with a little dried basil added. The additional toppings are Whole Milk Mozzarella, Red peppers and uncooked Sweet onion pieces (which will cook up in the baking process).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:19:51 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #953 on: September 19, 2014, 01:28:15 AM »
Brewers Reserve - Pyramid - Lord Alesworth English Style Ale - Limited Edition

Made dough tonight with this beer. I had a slightly sweet taste and was great for dough making. if you look at the dough ball, you will notice that I drank the rest of it while the dough was being kneaded. Very enjoyable beer.

The Beer:

http://www.pyramidbrew.com/brewers-reserve/lord-alesworth/

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/403/136449/

The Dough Recipe:

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #954 on: September 21, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »
Tom,
I have always enjoyed reading this thread and love your pies.
Today I tried your recipe using Red Hare brown ale.  Red Hare is a local Atlanta brewer.  I was very pleased with the results.

Both pies were topped with 7/11 tomatoes, shredded mozzarella, and buffalo mozarella.  The second also had pepperoni and sausage.  They were both cooked in my Bakerstone oven.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #955 on: September 21, 2014, 08:12:27 PM »
Tom,
Today I tried your recipe using Red Hare brown ale.  Red Hare is a local Atlanta brewer.  I was very pleased with the results.

Both pies were topped with 7/11 tomatoes, shredded mozzarella, and buffalo mozarella.  The second also had pepperoni and sausage.  They were both cooked in my Bakerstone oven.

Tasty looking pies Jd.  Nice!   :chef:

Same dough an temp on both?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #956 on: September 22, 2014, 06:26:52 AM »
Thanks Bob
Yes they were both the same dough and temp

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #957 on: September 22, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »
A photo of the cheese that i used. Sorrento Whole Milk Danish Mozzarella and Bella Rosano Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese.
Tom,
I know this is an old post.  However, you have steered me in the right direction a few times before...and you also use a fair amount of Costco products as I do.  Is it common to find the WMLM cheeses you have in this pic at your local Costco(s) in WA?  In Portland, Vancouver WA, and Camas WA, I have only found the 2 lb block of PSLM from Precious.  And it seems that at least the local Portland and Vancouver warehouses have stopped carrying that in the past month or so.  I'd really like to find the ones you showed here in 2012. Are you still able to get them?  If so, would you let me know what area in the warehouse you find them?  Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #958 on: September 29, 2014, 01:12:54 AM »
Hi Don,

Many of the cheeses that I posted back in 2012 we available at the Costco Business Center and not at the regular Costco. Unfortunately, many of those cheeses are not sold at the Costco Business Center at this time. Since they are a Business Center, they were reaching out to local Pizzerias to see what would sell the most. Like any warehouse club, products that do not sell enough, are removed from the shelf.

Also, some cheeses like Grande Cheese and others, will not sell to Costco or other warehouse clubs. They only want to go through a distributor. (Food Services of America, SYSCO, U.S. Foods, etc.) Thus, trying to keep it unique to the Pizzeria and not to the individual consumer, in an attempt to give the Pizzeria the "EDGE". (At least this is what I have seen happen)

Here are a few at the Costco Business Center currently:

Cheswick Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded 5 lbs
Bella Rosano Primium Blend Pizza Cheese, Shredded 5 lbs
Precious Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese, 5 lb Block
Bella Rosano Whole Milk Mozzarella, 6 lb avg wt

http://www2.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?Dx=mode+matchallpartial&whse=BD_767&Ne=4000000&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&N=4003873&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Ntk=Text_Search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Browse=1&lang=en-US&D=cheese&search=cheese&Ntt=cheese&topnav=bdoff&s=1

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #959 on: September 29, 2014, 01:15:06 AM »
Tom,

Good looking pies. Glad they turned out nice for you. ENJOY your future pies

TomN

pizzapan