Author Topic: Using Beer instead of Water in the Flour????  (Read 61239 times)

Offline Giggliato

Re: Using Beer instead of Water in the Flour????
« Reply #100 on: April 16, 2012, 02:15:38 PM »
I try to use 60 percent beer and 40 percent water (as was told to me by a Pizzeria friend) . I have increased the recipe to about 8oz of beer and 5 oz of water. Plus i add a table spoon of Olive oil. I pour the beer into the measuring glass and remove the foam, so it is 8 oz of beer. i have been very happy with the dough. I will continue to experiment with different beers, but I now realize that I must commit more time to sauce development.

I got some really good adivice on my Pizzaiolo thread

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18710.0.html

I'm pretty much committed to either fresh or canned whole roma tomatoes, a bit of oil, a bit of salt, some garlic, and oregano. Throw everything in the food processor for a few seconds.

Offline Dr Malt

« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2012, 11:26:43 AM »
Has anyone tried some dry malt extract in their dough? Dry malt extract is the barley malt extract called "wort" that is hopped and fermented into beer. Homebrew stores sell dry malt extract (referred to as DME) for homebrewers to use in beer making. It is a dry power but all water soluble components. It mainly consist of carbohydrates and proteins and would have a slightly sweet, malty flavor without the alcohol and hop character. It comes as barley or wheat malt extract and in different colors, based on the roasted malts used in the recipes of the wort. It would be a more concentrated malt flavor than adding beer.

Dr Malt  :)

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2012, 12:13:37 PM »
I have tried this many times. For me, DME just added too much sweetness to the dough. If you have any sugar in your dough recipe I would suggest you completely omit it if going this route. There is a malt flavor there, but for me it wasn't as much flavor as adding beer. I think the hops, rye and other things in the wort enhance the profile better. DME did taste malty, but in my mouth it just felt "flat" or one-sided. It would be nice to get someone else's take on it.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #103 on: April 21, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
Tom,

For your information, there is a pizza operation in Maine called Portland Pie Company that makes frozen dough balls for sale at retail. One of their "flavors" is beer, with the favorite beer being Shipyard Export Ale: http://www.itllbe.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=5. I suspect that that beer might be available only locally but the type of beer might be found in some other brand.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2012, 01:12:16 AM »
I made dough using a beer called "Three Philosophers Belgian Style Beer".  It is an amber color beer that is way darker than Duvel Belgian Style beer. (Bottle says: Part of the Duvel family of fine ales)) I must say that the dough turned out fabulous with this beer. The dough had a little more yellow color to it, but nothing like dough that i have seen made with a stout beer. The dough texture was great and a good flavor.

I would use this beer again, but I would lean more towards the Duvel Belgian Beer which turned out even better.  However, the Three Philosophers is 11.99 a bottle and the Duvel is 12.99 a bottle. Expensive beers, but so much fun to try. Here are the photos of my experiment.

PS
I thought it was very considerate of Brewery Ommegang, who brews the "Three Philosophers Beer", to print a reminder on the side of the bottle, to pour the beer slowly, so as to not disturb the yeast sediment.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 01:32:20 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2012, 01:13:01 AM »
Pizza with the Three Philosophers Beer

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2012, 01:19:58 AM »
The Two Belgian Beers, side by side.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2012, 01:44:23 AM »
Used a Samuel Adams Belgian Session in my pizza dough. i thought it turned out really nice.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2012, 01:48:08 AM »
Finished pizza with the Samuel Adams Belgian Session beer

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2012, 09:24:37 AM »
Tom,

That is a great looking pizza you made with beer in the dough.  ;D What kind of taste does the crust have when using the beer you just used?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2012, 08:13:49 PM »
Hi Norma,

I have found that the beer effects the Texture of the dough more than the flavor. However, each beer does reflect it's own unique dough flavor in the pizza. There is a difference in the pizza dough flavor with beer vs without it.  Also, many Pizzerias are featuring and serving the beer that was used in the Pizza dough making process. It is a trend that i am seeing and seems to be working very well.

My current top picks of beers to use are:

Samuel Adams Double Bock

Duvel Belgian Golden Ale

Red Hook ESP (Extra Special Bitter)

Blue Moon Belgian White

Pyramid Hefeweizen

And the experimenting is not over either. I will continue to post my results as I am really enjoying doing it.  :chef:

(The cost of the beer might be an issue if your selling pizza, but for yourself and friends, go for it)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 08:16:03 PM by TomN »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2012, 08:31:59 PM »
Tom,

Interesting that you have found that beer effects the texture of the dough more than the flavor.  I have been watching your experiments about using beer in pizza dough and find it interesting.  I will look forward to more of your posts about using different beers in pizza dough. 

I did try beer sediment in pizza dough one time at Reply 109 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11133.msg103964.html#msg103964  I will have to see if Steve has any old beer he might want to let me try in some pizza dough again.

Norma 

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2012, 12:55:35 PM »
Norma,

Recently, I went to  Pizzeria with some friends. This Pizzeria advertises that they use beer in their pizza dough and serves that beer with the pizza. While I didn't really notice much a of beer Flavor in the pizza dough, my friends did. They even made a comment about how they could definitely taste that certain beer.

Perhaps I have gotten so used to having beer in the dough that my taste buds don't pick it up as someone who is used to dough made with only water. Have fun with the experimenting.

Finally, avoid the really dark beers, like Stouts. (of course there are people that disagree with me about the Stouts, and thats OK)

TomN
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:58:26 PM by TomN »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2012, 02:00:43 PM »
Tom,

I donít think there are any pizzerias around where I live that uses beer in their dough.  I think it kind of neat that the Pizzeria advertises that they use the brand of beer in their pizza dough and then serves that beer with the pizza.  I would like to taste those crusts made with beer or tasted your crusts. 

One time Tom Lehmann told me that adding beer does impart a rather unique flavor at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8419#p56776  and http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8419#p57042

If I start to experiment with beer again in pizza dough, I will watch out for the really dark beers.

Norma

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2012, 07:56:48 PM »
Norma,

Start your experiment with either Samuel Adams Double Bock or Duval Belgian Golden Ale.  You will notice the flavor and texture. Especially with the Samuel Adams Double Bock, because it is very sweet tasting.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.40.html

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2012, 09:10:52 PM »

Recently, I went to  Pizzeria with some friends. This Pizzeria advertises that they use beer in their pizza dough and serves that beer with the pizza. While I didn't really notice much a of beer Flavor in the pizza dough, my friends did. They even made a comment about how they could definitely taste that certain beer.

That's funny TomN! The more and more I try to increase the yeast and malt profile in my doughs, the less I seem to be able to taste it too. Guests having it for the first time are blown away by the flavor. I guess I am just getting used to it.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: May 12, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »
Norma,

Start your experiment with either Samuel Adams Double Bock or Duval Belgian Golden Ale.  You will notice the flavor and texture. Especially with the Samuel Adams Double Bock, because it is very sweet tasting.

TomN

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.40.html

Tom,

I donít really purchase a lot of beer, but will look for Samuel Adams Double Bock or Duval Belgian Golden Ale, when I am ready to do an experiment with beer in dough.  I would like to notice the different flavors and textures in a pizza crust.  . 

Thanks also for the link and tips on what beers to use!  :)

Norma

Offline PiedPiper

« Reply #117 on: May 14, 2012, 08:17:13 AM »
New castle on a 4 day cold ferment!!   :chef:

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2012, 01:01:33 AM »
I made several pizzas over the weekend for friends. I used a beer by BLUE MOON called Summer Honey Wheat in the dough making process. This Beer is a Wheat Ale brewed with Orange Peel with Clover Honey added. The Clover Honey gives this beer the sweetness and the Orange Peel give is a very subtle citrus note.

I thought it was a good beer for pizza dough and my friends like the taste of the beer as it was served with the pizza. Unfortunately, this beer is seasonal and can't always be found. Give it a try in your dough making if you can find this beer.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:44:13 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2012, 12:41:07 AM »
Tried a Rogue Northwest Ale in my pizza dough. This beer was very foamy, so I had to spoon out a lot of foam from the glass. Not sure why??  It even made the pizza dough bubble up in some spots when I cooked it.

Good flavor, but not sure why all the foam. (I made sure my glass was very clean.)

Any one have any thoughts on this??? I never had a beer foam up this much before.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:44:04 AM by TomN »