Author Topic: Using beer in your pizza dough  (Read 71301 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Using beer in your pizza dough
« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2012, 06:18:15 AM »
Caputo 00 Flour & Pliny the Elder
I did notice when using Caputo 00 Flour that I could have used less than 9 ounces of beer for the 4 cups of flour (which is my normal amount with Power Flour).  I had to add more flour in my dough kneading process, as it was too sticky to work with before adding more 00 flour. Perhaps someone has a comment as to why this happened??? I am not familiar with Caputo 00 Flour.

TomN,

The Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour has a rated absorption value of about 55-57%. The Pendleton Power flour has a rated absorption value of 65%. That largely explains why you had to add more Caputo flour for the normal amount of beer that you use.

Peter

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #281 on: December 06, 2012, 05:15:23 PM »
Thanks Peter,

The pizza turned out well. I will post some photos and comments very soon.

TomN

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2012, 05:53:03 PM »
I made one the other day using a Shiner black lager that I left out over night.  It made the dough very dark and the finished crust looked like whole wheat.  It did have a very good flavor.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #283 on: December 07, 2012, 01:38:32 AM »
Hi Tscarborough,

Glad to hear that your pizza turned out good. I tend to stay away from the really dark beers. A darker amber color is as far as, I will go in dough making. But that's me. It does not mean that it can't be done. Make what you like and enjoy. Thanks for the comment.

Tomn
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:46:24 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #284 on: December 07, 2012, 01:41:26 AM »
Caputo 00 Flour & Pliny the Elder -  finished pizza

I enjoyed working with the Caputo 00 Flour because it was so easy to knead. The dough rose well in the fridge and with Pliny the Elder for the beer, it had a really nice aroma when i took it out of the freezer bag.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 01:47:25 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #285 on: December 07, 2012, 01:44:53 AM »
The pizza had a nice flavor, but it did not have the crisper / snap that you get with POWER flour. More of a delicate crunch. (I liked it too) However, I bet this dough would be fantastic and taste even better in a Wood Burning Oven compared to my home oven.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #286 on: December 07, 2012, 01:45:56 AM »
I also made a straight pepperoni pizza with it as well. Again, a very nice dough.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #287 on: December 07, 2012, 08:13:10 AM »
Tom,

Your pizzas look very tasty!  :)  I was somewhat surprised that you got decent rim browning using Caputo.  What temperature did you bake?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #288 on: December 07, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »
Hi Norma,

I preheat my oven at 425 and when the oven is ready, I bake it for 15 mins on a pizza screen.(basic heating element home oven)  This time around, I pressed my dough out before I had all the other toppings ready to use, so it gave this dough some extra rise time. Usually, I have the caramelized sweet onions, cheese shredded, diced peppers, etc... ready to go. Perhaps this was to my advantage. Again, this is the first time I have ever used Caputo 00 flour.

I will say that this flour was so easy to knead by hand. Just wished I had an WFO to bake it in.

TomN
PS
My pizza is always a thin crust. This might have made a difference too.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 12:12:51 PM by TomN »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2012, 03:46:07 PM »
Tom,

That is a relativity low oven temperature to get Caputo flour to brown, but it sure looks like you were successful using the Caputo flour with the added beer in your dough.  Thanks for telling what method you used to press your dough out before you had the other toppings ready.  The use of the pizza screen is interesting too.

I can relate to wanting to try different formulations out in a WFO.  I donít own one, but I get to try out my friend Steveís WFO from time to time.

Norma 
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #290 on: December 11, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »
Hi Norma,

I am grateful for the bag of Caputo 00 flour that my friend gave to me as a gift. However, I am still sold on the Pendleton POWER flour as my main flour to use. I think it has the best flavor, cooks the best in my oven, and lasts the longest as dough in the fridge. Also, I like the price compared to Caputo 00.

Best to you,

TomN

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11702701&search=power+flour&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Browse=1&Sp=S&N=5000045&whse=BD_767&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ne=4000000&D=power+flour&Ntt=power+flour&No=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&topnav=bdoff&s=1
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:34:52 PM by TomN »

Offline B.F.SkinnersRevenge

« Reply #291 on: December 12, 2012, 02:43:40 AM »
Keep it up Tom! Love this thread. Do you think the difference is the carbonation, the alcohol, or the flavor of the beer? A combination? Something else?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #292 on: December 13, 2012, 01:00:53 AM »
Keep it up Tom! Love this thread. Do you think the difference is the carbonation, the alcohol, or the flavor of the beer? A combination? Something else?

Thanks B.F.SkinnersRevenge,

I have fun doing this thread so i will continue. For me it is about flavor :chef: The alcohol cooks out and the carbonation makes the dough lighter, but the carbonation also fades. That leaves Flavor and Texture of the pizza crust. Most people can tell when a pizza crust has been made with beer. It really does make a difference. I am not the pizza expert, so I have learned about adding beer from other Pizzaiolo friends and Pizzeria owners.

IMO, different Beers add their own unique flavor to the dough. Not intense flavor but definitely noticeable.

Some of the Beers styles that I like and will continue to use are:
Extra Special Bitter
Double Bock
IPA
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:07:32 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #293 on: December 13, 2012, 01:02:10 AM »
Also:
Belgian Style Beers
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:10:01 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #294 on: December 13, 2012, 01:03:26 AM »
And;

Beers that are very unique, in that, they have been aged in Oak barrels like wine or have a very powerful flavor. Some that IMO, are not drinkable. (NO OFFENSE to anyone, I am not that big of a beer drinker)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 01:13:23 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #295 on: December 13, 2012, 01:16:01 AM »
Hefeweizen works very good too.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #296 on: December 14, 2012, 01:55:39 AM »
Hair of the Dog

My local beer store recommended this IPA called Hair of the Dog from Portland, Oregon. This beer is only produced three times a year. Rather than me trying to describe it, I took photos of the sides of the bottle.

Nazareth would be proud

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k</a>
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 02:08:36 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #297 on: December 14, 2012, 01:58:38 AM »
I am looking forward to some great pizza dough. This beer had a pleasant aroma.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #298 on: December 14, 2012, 02:05:06 AM »
In a discussion on a thread in the Ask The Dough Doctor Section, it was recommended to divide one large dough ball into three smaller dough balls before the cold rise. However, i will not do this again. It takes up too much fridge space and I had to use three freezer bags instead of just one. It might make the pressing out of dough easier, but not worth it for that little convenience. Again, this is for my home use not a commercial setting.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #299 on: December 15, 2012, 04:10:01 PM »
The dough was very nice with this IPA. I made two different pizzas with two different pizza sauce.  Pizza number one: i add a small amount of Beecher's Smoked Flagship Cheese to the mozzarella. The sause was Pizzaiolo by Stanislaus.

pizzapan