Author Topic: Using Beer instead of Water in the Flour????  (Read 61215 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Using Beer instead of Water in the Flour????
« Reply #340 on: December 30, 2012, 05:00:15 PM »
Why wouldn't you include alcohol in the HR calc?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #341 on: December 30, 2012, 05:05:56 PM »
Why wouldn't you include alcohol in the HR calc?

Craig,

I was just researching that question. I wondered whether the alcohol would have a wetting effect, much like oil does. I decided just to wait for Tom to give his flour weight number, especially since his doughs don't look to be excessively wet or hydrated.

Peter

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #342 on: December 30, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »
Nate,

Can you tell me how you measured out four cups of KABF and got 23.2 ounces? King Arthur itself uses 4.25 ounces for a cup of KABF: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/master-weight-chart.html. That weight corresponds to the Textbook method of flour measurement.

Peter

When I filled a cup just now it weighed approx. 5.3oz so 21.2oz putting it at 66% hydration.  For some reason it must have been 5.8oz last time I weighed.   I made this dough yesterday and by no means was it higher than 62% hydration. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:25:37 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #343 on: January 06, 2013, 02:52:56 AM »
Not to take away from take away from the discussion on my recipe measured in a "Baker's Scale", but i need to do some catch up on my beer and dough. I will get a digital scale soon. As for the pizza made with Harvest Limited Edition - J.W. Lees Brewery - Manchester, England Beer, I thought it turned out very well. While it is a great beer, I do not see myself using it again any time soon,  due to the $9.99 and difficultly finding it. However, it was a fantastic beer that made great pizza dough, despite the small 9.3 oz bottle size.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:15:46 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #344 on: January 06, 2013, 02:53:43 AM »
I had a request from friends for BBQ chicken pizza. So that is what I made.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #345 on: January 06, 2013, 02:56:31 AM »
The cheeses used were: Bella Rosano Whole Milk Mozzarella, Smoked Beechers Flagship Cheese, Gouda cheese, and a sprinkle of Stella Parmesan & Romano.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:00:56 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #346 on: January 06, 2013, 02:57:44 AM »
This cook up very nice. Remember, i am using my home oven at 425 degrees on a pizza Screen.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #347 on: January 06, 2013, 03:08:58 AM »
Blue Moon Vintage Blonde Ale Reserve Collection 2012

With the Seattle Seahawks playing the Washington Redskins on Sunday, I need to have more pizza dough on hand. I picked up this beer that was in the reserve section. I have used Blue Moon Belgian White before, so i wanted to try another one of their beers. The fact that this contained Chardonnay juice in the brewing process caught my attention.

http://www.bluemoonbrewingcompany.com/OurBeers/Product/vintage-blonde-ale
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:37:08 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #348 on: January 06, 2013, 03:12:37 AM »
This beer has a sweeter taste than the regular Blue Moon Belgian White beer (not sweet like a double bock beer, but the Chardonnay juice taste comes though), which is great for my pizza dough. So far the dough has looked smooth and a great smell. I have put it in the fridge for the 24 hour cold rise process. Some of this dough will be used later in the week and will have more flavor development. However, I need some of the dough for the big game. GO HAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 03:22:31 AM by TomN »

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #349 on: January 06, 2013, 09:50:08 PM »
As the alcohol gets higher do you have to compensate by adding more yeast? I would think that the alcohol would kill some of the yeast cells. Or is that not high enough?

FWIW, Not sure about percentage alcohol in the liquid itself, but I just devoured a pizza made with 100% Red Hook ESB which turned out fantastic. I used ~3g of Fleischmann's Instant yeast mixed with the dry ingredients, threw in the beer and mixed the dough. This went directly into the refridgerator overnight. I saw very little activity in the dough until about the 12 hour mark, then just minimal puffiness until hour 16, when it was removed and laminated. I could tell the yeast was still alive, albeit struggling. I rely on the sheeting technique for volume, so I wasn't so concerned about their fate in the dough, but they were alive.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #350 on: January 06, 2013, 10:26:58 PM »
Hi Dan,

The very first beer that I tried was Red Hook ESB. It works Fantastic and for a great price per bottle. In fact, the original recipe that I got from a Pizzeria friend that owns 6 Pizzerias in WA state, uses Red Hook ESB only. It is great beer that produces great results. Glad to hear you tried it.

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #351 on: January 07, 2013, 02:48:45 AM »
Blue Moon Vintage Blonde Ale Reserve Collection 2012 - RESULTS

I was very impressed with the results of my dough made with Blue Moon Vintage Blonde Ale Reserve Collection 2012. So much, that i plan to buy a few more bottles and hide them away for another time.
(Provided I can still find it)

The cold rise came out really nice and the texture of the dough was very impressive. It was easy to press out and work with.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:55:05 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #352 on: January 07, 2013, 02:52:29 AM »
I used all the dough for three 14" pizzas. The first request was a mushroom pizza. Again, this beer produced great results.

Final thought: There was not much foam in this beer, but it did have bubbles. Perhaps because of the Chardonnay Juice that it was brewed with??

(Amazing how much mushrooms shrink when baked)

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 02:56:25 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #353 on: January 15, 2013, 11:41:44 PM »
Pliney the Elder has left the building...

I had made some great pizza with this beer, sorry to see it leave my state of WA. I sure enjoyed making pizza dough with it while it lasted.

BREAKING NEWS -- Monday, December 31, 2012

Im sorry to be the bearer of sad news but the attached letter is to inform our customers that Russian River Brewing Co. has made the decision to withdraw from the Washington market. Please let our customers know that we and Russian River very much appreciate their support of the brand over the years but the necessity is outside of our control. Please also know that we very much appreciate the hard work many of our staff at Click have put in, particularly in light of the often challenging aspects of managing this sought after brand in your territory. What we have in inventory (Damnation bottles) is the last of what we will have available.

Its a sad day to lose such a great brand and to no longer do business with our friends Vinnie and Natalie but were parting on good terms and I suspect that if and/or when theyre able to come back into Washington, that wed be their first distributor choice.

Thanks

Rick Steckler
President & COO
Click Wholesale Distributing, Inc.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:44:07 PM by TomN »

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #354 on: January 15, 2013, 11:53:12 PM »
That's a bummer Tom. Years ago Pliney was IT, but at least now there are lots of other really good IPA's out there.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #355 on: January 16, 2013, 01:05:43 AM »
Thanks Colonel_Klink (Don),

I know there is a whole world of beer out there, including many IPA's. I just liked what Pliny the Elder did for my pizza dough. However, half the fun is trying new beers and seeing how they work in the dough making process.

Thanks again.

TomN
PS
I have been under the weather with all this Flu going around, so I have taken a short leave from dough making. I will back at it again soon.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:08:14 AM by TomN »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #356 on: January 16, 2013, 11:19:52 AM »
Get well soon TomN.... :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #357 on: January 16, 2013, 02:30:38 PM »
Thanks Bob!!!

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #358 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:32 PM »
Digital Scale

Picked up a Digital Scale at Costco today for only $15.99 before tax. Also, picked up a few special hard to find beers to make dough with. I plan to make some dough with measurements this weekend.

Question:

This scale can measure in pounds, ounces, kilograms, grams. I have only measured in dry cups and liquid ounces. What is the "NORM" for measurements in bakers scale, etc... when it comes to pizza making in the pizza community???

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #359 on: January 17, 2013, 11:38:40 PM »
Total Wine & More - has a great beer selection
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:10:14 AM by TomN »

pizzapan